Travelers to NYC ! Who? When? MAY I ask?

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 10:57 pm
@Thomas,
I don't believe you!

Also, you never said you had a CURRENT in Toronto, much less an ex.
Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:55 am
@dlowan,
Among us Toronto-connaisseurs, "Ex" stands for "Expo", not for "ex girlfriend". The Expo in August is Toronto's idea of a country fair. And Toronto's idea of a country fair is very literal: the fair is for the whole country of Canada.

Just ask Beth if you don't believe me!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 09:18 am
@Thomas,
the Ex stands for Exhibition

CNE

Canadian National Exhibition

Wink

I heard a rumor (by way of tiny birdie joeblow) that we might see you again.

I've already started entering contests to try and win tickets to the Ex Smile
dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
Brisbane calls theirs that also....only they shorten it to the Ecca.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 12:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the Ex stands for Exhibition

I stand corrected, then.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 01:46 pm
@dlowan,
Bywater, you're right next to the French Quarter. I wish I was in N.O. We were last there in November.

Any plans to take the streetcar out to the Garden District and Audobon Park? Lots to see out there. Are you taking a cemetery tour? A long time ago, you could walk through the cemeteries on your own, but not anymore, except for perhaps the cemetery in the Garden District.

Do you like olives? Grab a Muffuletta to go from Central Grocery, on Decatur, for lunch. Perhaps one to share. They're big.

Larry Casso is a local artist and teacher. He was born and raised in New Orleans. He founded and is still director of the Baton Rouge Fine Arts Academy. He does sell his work, and I know he has prints because he and his wife gave us a limited edition set the last time we saw them.

http://www.batonrougefinearts.com/

If you are on Facebook, you can see examples and explanations of Larry's work on his Facebook page, which is open, you don't have to "friend" him to see everything on his page.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Larry-Casso/100006306465438?fref=nf

Tip: Avoid engaging with the panhandlers in the French Quarter, who will literally stop you on the street and start a conversation or offer you something for which they expect a "donation".

Lots of homeless kids and others hanging around, as well, but our experience is that they keep to themselves. It's hard to see the kids, though ...
dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 06:40 pm
@mckenzie,
Saw heaps of galleries today. Closed ones. Don't open til Wednesday : (
dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:48 am
@dlowan,
Mac...sadly my back and the heat here are preventing my taking walking tours. I can generally walk ok, but the stopping and standing is unbearable....also as you know, the humidity makes the heat much harder to stand.

I'm afraid we actually took a mule tour of the French Quarter yesterday! I was very worried about the mules....but the quarter is so lovely.
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 07:46 am
@dlowan,
Leaving today. Tonight at hotel at LAX then off the New Zealand at 10.30 pm tomorrow night.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 08:13 am
@dlowan,
Ah, LAX. Who knew I'd miss an airport, and not an especially lovely one. Have a good flight today, and another one tomorrow, eh?
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 10:51 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you. At least we are in premium economy for the long haul! Makes a real difference. Love to be able to visit New Orleans again when it's not so hot
Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 11:27 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Leaving today.

Big mistake. But if you insist on a lifestyle that includes living on the wrong side of the planet, I forgive you. As Jesus might say, love the Australian, not Austria.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 03:36 pm
Isn't Austria the country with all the strange animals?
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 06:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

dlowan wrote:
Leaving today.

Big mistake. But if you insist on a lifestyle that includes living on the wrong side of the planet, I forgive you. As Jesus might say, love the Australian, not Austria.

Tricked ya. Sipping cocktails in LA.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 06:54 pm
@dlowan,
Tell me, tell me. Meee. I wanna know.
So many times, not all good of course.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
I bide you "prost!", then.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 08:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Isn't Austria the country with all the strange animals?

Yeah - like Arnie!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 08:32 pm
@margo,
I walked into him once, going into a place on Main Street, I was surprised how short he was.

(I don't dislike him. Differ on much.)
dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 06:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Spent our LA day at Venice beach relaxing, taking in the wildlife and loving the gentle sun and breeze and the hills appearing to rise out of the sand
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 06:27 pm
@dlowan,
You're trying to make me cry, aren't you. My venice beach and yours will differ - I lived there '73 t0 '98, but much may be the same. I lived in a building right there, Windward and the beach. For a while. Late 73/4.
I haven't been there since '09.

Many long stories.

Anyway, I'm glad you got out and about.
Thank you for looking.

I walked that walk, by the shops or at waves, several thousand times, usually not summer weekends.