past

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:45 pm
I didnt' get what "I wouldn't put it past him" means, could you rewrite it forme?

Context:
" As we got out of the taxi, Sonia said, "Our sitting behind made him feel like he was employed by us; on top of that, he couldn't understand what we were saying. So naturally, he wasn't very happy. I wouldn't put it past him to try to trick us. But I'd rather believe he was really was just kidding. Anyway, he wasn't too pleased with both of us sitting in the back."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 517 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:20 pm
the phrase "i wouldn't put it past him" is what is referred to as an 'idiom'.
an idiom is a 'juridictional' phrasing; by that i mean it is in common usage within a certain geographic area, where it is understood, but might mean nothing to someone geographically remote from that area.

the meaning here is that the individual in question would not be morally inhibited from the behaviour mentioned; in your example the subject would not be prevented by his moral code from trying to trick the speaker.

this idiom is most common in the British Isles, generally, but might also be recognized by some English speaking Canadians and some aussies, and New Zealanders, but would be less used in the U.S.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:17 am
Oristar, I like Bo's explanation but would like to add that this type of phrase might also be called a colloquialism: a local or regional dialect expression. I tend to think *colloquialism* whenever that type of phrase is used in general conversation. See Webster's:

Colloquial: 1) of or relating to conversation: conversational 2a) used in or characteristic of familiar and informal conversation; also: unacceptably informal 2b) using conversational style.

I wouldn't put it past him to try to trick us, but I'd rather believe he was really just kidding.

(Could equal)

I think he's of low enough character to try to trick us, but I'd rather believe he was really just kidding.

Or, also in the context of your example,

"I wouldn't put it past him"

Could infer: I think he's capable of it (tricking us)

Etc.

Do you see?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:50 am
Yeah, I've had a bit tough time to understand what Bo said, but your explanation was as clear as crystal.

Thank you both.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 02:42 am
p.s. It's very familiar to this American...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:14 am
Hmm; "top left corner, eh; i wonder why, Wy?? Laughing

[i thought this thread would have dissapeared into the "past" by now]
0 Replies