Progress in consciousness?

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:04 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
jnhofzinser wrote:
BoGoWo wrote:
I refer to this particular universe, as being the 'blatantly obvious" one; we could only be sitting here, discussing a universe in which 'life' were possible, if this were such a universe; and the 'parameters' were exactly what they "are"!
Nobody (er, not even Nobody) will disagree with this. The question is: how did such an "obvious" universe come to be? We give it the name "intelligence" by projection: given that we are intelligent to observe it, there must be something "sufficient" to account for that intelligence. This "sufficient something" could be a mystical one, a theological one, or a statistical one. But it is more legitimate to assign it the name "intelligence" than to act as if it were not necessary Wink

Ahem. I disagree Laughing

There many parameters which could change and still result in us being here exactly the same.

Why is it so surprising that a planet comprised of 'X' would produce a life form comprised of 'X'?
I think sentiency was accidental but it led to intelligence which led to consciousness and then awareness.
Thought or 'the watcher', was present throughout.
To expect the complexity of the human body to assemble it's self on random chance would be unreasonable. It has to happen all pretty much simultaneously. Eyes without optic nerves to process the reception of light are pretty much useless. Without DNA, how are a million years of trial and error to be recorded?
I am, therefore, my creator is.

a respectful "nonsense"!

there is absolutely no justification for the 'leap' from the existence of any entity, to the 'need' for it to have been 'created'. [not 'impossible', just 'unnecessary'!]

why is it that few seem to be able to conceive of a universe based entirely on chance, even though they live it one!
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:17 am
BoGoWo wrote:
I wrote:
This "sufficient something" could be a mystical one, a theological one, or a statistical one. But it is more legitimate to assign it the name "intelligence" than to act as if it were not necessary Wink
few seem to be able to conceive of a universe based entirely on chance
Please note that the "statistical" "sufficient something" allows for that very possibility.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:41 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
I think sentiency was accidental but it led to intelligence which led to counsciousness and then awareness.

Sentiency means having consciousness. Intelligence is the capacity of thought and reason, and therefore, consciousness must exist as a precondition to intelligence. Awareness is consciousness.

there is no such thing as an accident, in evolution; just "chance"! Since there is no 'direction' there is no 'accident'!
I feel consciousness is 'part of' intelligence, they are synonymous.

stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
It has to happen all pretty much simultaneously. Eyes without optic nerves to process the reception of light are pretty much useless.
Yes, very true...this is puzzling, but it has been explained. I cannot remember the explanation right now for how these complex parts evolve...I will get back to you on that!

evolution is a very simple system, it has to be; things develope from the simplest of systems, over billions of years, to the most complex, and they must be passed along as a 'package', to the higher forms. No miracles here.

stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
I am, therefore, my creator is.

Yeh right! You and DesCartes.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:44 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
BoGoWo wrote:
I wrote:
This "sufficient something" could be a mystical one, a theological one, or a statistical one. But it is more legitimate to assign it the name "intelligence" than to act as if it were not necessary Wink
few seem to be able to conceive of a universe based entirely on chance
Please note that the "statistical" "sufficient something" allows for that very possibility.

using Occam's razor; leave out the unsupported, and 'invented'.
why bring imaginary visitors to the table?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:52 am
a little poetic aside - sorry can't resist:

since, in my youth, i wiped the thousands of years of religious 'cobwebs' from my eyes, i have seen the universe so much more clearly; though i can still hear the screams of those being wrapped in gossamer, in preparation for the feast; doomed to never know what they could have known, seen what they could have seen, their lives wrapped in silk, and summarily 'stolen'.

[my appologies, please proceed]
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:59 am
JLNobody wrote:
Alikimr, I'm sure we will all show up. Thanks for the offering.
BoGoWo, I have no objection to anthropomorphism so long as we know we are doing it, and its limitations. But I don't think we are as interested in a Reality that finds us no more than negligible dust on its shelves. When we think, when we create, when we explore, we do it with reference to our "eigenwelt" (the world as it relates to us). The task, according to my sensibilities, is discover ourselves within the cosmic context, not to discover the Cosmos as a mere expression of our importance. Copernicus put an end to that for Christians--or he should have.
It seems to me that a narrow science, a sterile empiricism of the laboratory has disenchanted us. That was necessary, however, to release us from the great negative and fearsome enchantment of the Middle Ages. Since Newton and his cohorts the universe has been rendered inert and meaningless. Science became a worldview, a Scientism. It was undoubtedly better than the Dark Ages were we were left only with the option of relying on God to give us meaning. With the death of God, and The Enligtenment, psychology became a temporary haven. We assumed that we must learn how to adjust to a meaningless world. Existentialism emerged to affirm the essential meaninglessness of life, but challenged us, with Nietszche, to create our own meaning. Then with the theoretical physics of Einstein and his (broadly--not narrowly--empirical) cohort of thinkers there began a re-enchantment of the World. And with the New Physics we are enchanted to the point of dizziness.
To me, the philosophies and spiritual practices of Buddhism, Taoism, Sufism, perhaps the Caballa (I'm not sure) and Hindu Vedanta complement the findings and promises of the New Physics. Consider the discussions between physicist, Bohm and mystic, Krishnamurti. The New Physics has the potential to merge with the power of "mysticism", or psycho-spiritual experience, to create a naturalistic positive enchantment, one sans Gods, ghosts, souls, absolute values and truths, heavens and hells, etc. Things are looking up.

Hmmm; how does one agree, and totally disagree, at the same time; you are provocative!

I see humanity, with myself tucked in at one extreme edge, as a blip in the continuum from nothingness to infinity, and back.
It's about everything, not 'us'; but the 'view is magnificent!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:00 am
Lovely, Bo. Now there's a progression that even Letty can understand.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:05 am
BoGoWo wrote:
using Occam's razor; leave out the unsupported, and 'invented'.
Occam's Razor does not apply. But if you would prefer not to review the entire thread on that topic, here's my summary:
I wrote:
One of Newton's students returns from the grave and, gleefully wielding Occam's Razor, dismisses Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. His is an inappropriate use of the Razor, because his appreciation of the universe is limited and shallow. So it is with those who use the Razor to dismiss God [or a multiverse, for that matter].
i.e., there are still oodles of observations that science does not account for (consciousness, for example).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:08 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Arguments for dualism...................

............................Source: Wickipedia

mostly chemistry.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
stuh505 wrote:
This is the most concise definition I could find of nondualism:
It means that light and shade, long and short, black and white, can only be experienced in relation to each other; light is not independent of shade, nor black of white. There are no opposites, only relationships.......

This is to me "polarity" one of my favorites! The essence of YinYang!
no mysticism, just ...........shall i say, 'black and white'!

stuh505 wrote:
........And here is a defintion of Mysticism from the american heritage dictionary:
1. immediate awareness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God
2. A belief in alternate realities beyond perception

I so no relationship, so I ask you again what definition are you using for nondualism

evidence, not of Gel's shortcomings, but that the American Heritage - is not the English language!
[get an Oxford, and toss that one away.]

I see dualism, and nondualism, as having nothing to do with religion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
alikimr wrote:
While I am at it, (which I acknowledge to be a very unorthodox way of working within A2K ), I really would also appreciate hearing from thethinkfactory ,joefromchicago perception
and hodgepodge,.....whose views on other matters I came across elsewhere . Thanks to all of you who will indulge me in this exercise.

While I am gratified that you would request my thoughts on this subject, alikimr, I have not been following this thread and I do not anticipate posting any comments on this topic.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:31 am
don't worry ali; now that he's been here, you've probably 'sucked him in'!
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
stuh505 wrote:

Quote:
This is the most concise definition I could find of nondualism:

It means that light and shade, long and short, black and white, can only be experienced in relation to each other; light is not independent of shade, nor black of white. There are no opposites, only relationships.

And here is a defintion of Mysticism from the american heritage dictionary:

I so no relationship, so I ask you again what definition are you using for nondualism
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
bogowo wrote:
a respectful "nonsense"!

there is absolutely no justification for the 'leap' from the existence of any entity, to the 'need' for it to have been 'created'. [not 'impossible', just 'unnecessary'!]

why is it that few seem to be able to conceive of a universe based entirely on chance, even though they live it one!

THANK YOU.

Especially since we have plenty examples of thigns which exist without creators...

bogowo wrote:
I feel consciousness is 'part of' intelligence, they are synonymous.

The way you quoted me on this and several other topics, it was as if you were correcting me...when in fact you were agreeing with my corrections...anyway...my point was that Gel's (i think it was him) list was largely synonymous (consciousness, self awareness, intelligence, etc) when he was saing that they each led to each other. However, there is a distinction between intelligence and consciousness...intelligence is the capability to make logical decisions, and it would be possible to be consciouss and NOT have any intelligence, which is why I said that conscuiousness was a precondition for intelligence.

Quote:
evolution is a very simple system, it has to be; things develope from the simplest of systems, over billions of years, to the most complex, and they must be passed along as a 'package', to the higher forms. No miracles here.

although i believe in evolution, i dont think it is quite so simple...many features of organisms would not be helpful enough to be selected for without having a huge amount of features come in at once. but thanks for reminding me of this ill talk with some evolutionary people.

bogowo wrote:

stuh505 wrote:

........And here is a defintion of Mysticism from the american heritage dictionary:

evidence, not of Gel's shortcomings, but that the American Heritage - is not the English language!
[get an Oxford, and toss that one away.]

I see dualism, and nondualism, as having nothing to do with religion.

I was not responding to Gel, I was responding to JLN's "new physics"...and my point was the same point that you made, although you phrased it as if it was contrary to what i was saying.

twyvel, that all seems to be just a matter of symmantics...who cares about the word definitions of "subject" "object" and "perspective"...they are only words. what is the meat?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 02:03 pm
stuh505

Quote:
twyvel, that all seems to be just a matter of symmantics...who cares about the word definitions of "subject" "object" and "perspective"...they are only words. what is the meat?

That could be said about any articulation. All we have is words here. So your comment is a coup out, dismissive, though not for the reasons sited.

Nondualism: The universe and you are not two, nondual.

All's anyone else can do is indicate or point, you have to look your self. It can only be subjectively known/observed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:06 pm
I'm so far behind and very frustrated by it because there have been SO MANY interesting and "deep" statements made by this very smart group of people we've convened here. What I intend to do is go back to yesterday and answer comments that I have isolated from context. For example,
Jnhofzinger commented that "THIS universe is in fact about us." I agree in that we are always talking about OUR universe. And it IS about us because--in the mystical sense--it IS us. That is the essential reason we find it so interesting.

I will respond to comments on separate posts.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:21 pm
i base my sense of 'non-ego centric' universe on the fact that we can probably agree (let me know) that we are dealing with only one universe, here in our dialogues, not multiple different, or multiverses, so the one universe about which we speak is most definitely NOT about homo sapiens.
"Axiomatic, my dear Watson"! Cool
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
Ray suggests that the evolution of our world is not just the product of dumb chance. He acknowledges the process of "trial and error" but reminds us that the process also depends on natural pressure. I agree! Sspontaneous mutation would be insignificant were it not for the pressure of natural selection. Nevertheless, my reference to Cosmic Mind is not to some kind of human mind writ large; it is to some kind of mysterious and fundamental intelligence or awareness. And this is only as a corrective for the Newtonian notion of a dumb universe pushed and pulled about by blind forces. Ray says "Perhaps there is a sort of 'cosmic mind' governing us. If so, then it is probable to say that the laws ofphysics are the sort of 'will' of the "cosmic mind." Ray sounds much like a Schopenhauerian here--the Will in Nature. I make no reference to our being "governed" by this "mind," any more than we are governed by the "laws" of nature. They are not statutes to be obeyed; they are only regularities: the personality of nature, as it were. My reference to Cosmic Mind does not exclude, however, an actual intelligence in the form of a "designer" (praise to Plato), but it need not. My major "hunch" is that there is, in some way, a kind of awareness. That conscious awareness is not something we have exclusively. But, please remember this, I DO NOT KNOW this to bve so; I JUST FEEL that it is so. I could be as wrong as wrong could be. But God, I hope not. If I know anything in my bones it is that the Cosmos IS me (and you); if it is blind, deaf and dumb, then so am I--fundamentally.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:49 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
"Axiomatic, my dear Watson"! Cool
Clearly Wink
What's your take on the Bostrom quote from a Previous Post?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 04:51 pm
twyvel wrote:
stuh505

stuh505 wrote:

That could be said about any articulation. All we have is words here. So your comment is a coup out, dismissive, though not for the reasons sited.

no, i mean that you are merely arguing over the definition of words, and there is no substance to the argument beyond grammar.

Quote:
Nondualism: The universe and you are not two, nondual.

this does not correspond to what I've read:

Mahatma Ghandi wrote:
[nondualism] means that light and shade, long and short, black and white, can only be experienced in relation to each other; light is not independent of shade, nor black of white. There are no opposites, only relationships.

Summary: everything is relative

Ghandis definition is a logical understandable description, and if this is what nondualism is, then it is not un-scientific.

Bede Griffiths (1997) wrote:
Advaita (nonduality) does not mean "one" in the sense of eliminating all differences. The differences are present in the one in a mysterious way. They are not separated anymore, and yet they are there.

Summary: differences exist but nondualists ignore them

There is no logical reason to pretend as though differences do not exist when they do. Even if everything is connected, part of a whole, and made of the same material...there are still differences. This definition shares nothing in common with Ghandi's.

Justin Stone:T'ai Chi Chih and Non-Duality wrote:

"Advaita" in Sanskrit means "Non-Duality." This is a difficult concept for most people as we look about us and see multiple objects. But what we see are only transformations not permanent forms, whether we are speaking of a chair, a tree, or a human being. Each exists provisionally, but is certainly not lasting. One day the tree may become the chair and the human body will be eaten by worms. The "I" that observes all this may disappear and become another "I".

Summary: matter and energy change forms

Everyone agrees with this. Science agrees that matter changes forms. No big deal. The only controversy here is the last line where he says the "I" may become another "I", because this has no distinct interpretation. This definition also has nothing in common with the previous two.

Lama Yeshe wrote:
When you contemplate your own consciousness with intense awareness, leaving aside all thoughts of good and bad, you are automatically led to the experience of non-duality. How is this possible? Think of it like this: the clean clear blue sky is like consciousness, while the smoke and pollution pumped into the sky are like the unnatural, artificial concepts manufactured by ego-grasping ignorance. Now, even though we say the pollutants are contaminating the atmosphere, the sky itself never really becomes contaminated by the pollution. The sky and the pollution each retain their own characteristic nature. In other words, on a fundamental level the sky remains unaffected no matter how much toxic energy enters it. The proof of this is that when conditions change, the sky can become clear once again. In the same way, no matter how many problems maybe created by artificial ego concepts, they never affect the clean clear nature of our consciousness itself. From the relative point of view, our consciousness remains pure because its clear nature never becomes mixed with the nature of confusion.

Summary: on a basic level, nothing changes...just gets rearranged. also there are differences between everything

What a surprise, another completely independent relationship sharing no correspondance to the others...this one in fact contradicts Bede Griffith's.

Georg Feuerstein wrote:
The manifold universe is, in truth, a Single Reality. There is only one Great Being, which the sages call Brahman, in which all the countless forms of existence reside. That Great Being is utter Consciousness, and It is the very Essence, or Self (Atman) of all beings

Summary: everything in the universe is part of one consciousness

Lol.

-------------------

Well, looking over the definitions of nondualism from famous people...it seems obvious that this word nonduality doesn't really mean anything, everyone just makes up their own definitions for it...and since the purpose of language is to communicate and not have people guessing as to their meaning, I respectfully ask that everyone refrain from using this term in future posts because we will never know which definition you refer to.
0 Replies