Did the solar system come from the sun?

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 03:09 pm
Did a series of huge explosions on the sun shoot blobs of gaseous matter into deep space which turned out to be the solar system and life in it's earliest form, ever changing form?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:24 pm
No, not even close. When a star is "born," it is surrounded by the materials from which it formed. The material surrounding the star is called an accretion disc (clickity-click!). Irregularities in the dispersal of material in the accretion disc means that little lumps form, and sweep up other matter spinning around the star. As these growing bodies form, and orbit the gravitational center which the star represents, planet formation and the formation of planetary satellites--moons--begins, in a widely accepted hypothesis called the planetesimal hypotheses, or the Chamberlin–Moulton planetesimal hypothesis (clickity-click again!)[url]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:31 pm
Notice in this image of an accretion disc that there are small bodies, rather fancifully representing new planets forming (the artist has skipped the planetesimal step in the process). However, from this image you should be able to see how the materials in the accretion disc is swept up as planets and moons form.

http://sciencewise.anu.edu.au/article_image_big/167/accretion%20disc.jpg
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Notice in this image of an accretion disc that there are small bodies, rather fancifully representing new planets forming (the artist has skipped the planetesimal step in the process). However, from this image you should be able to see how the materials in the accretion disc is swept up as planets and moons form.

http://sciencewise.anu.edu.au/article_image_big/167/accretion%20disc.jpg

Great picture that will probably keep the debate alive, the most important aim of all debates.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:02 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Did a series of huge explosions on the sun shoot blobs of gaseous matter into deep space which turned out to be the solar system and life in it's earliest form, ever changing form?

I read about such explanations many years ago, but it never sat right with me. Any explosion big enough to send planet-sized blobs of solar matter millions of miles from the sun would likely send those blobs on a one-way course beyond the sun's gravitational pull.
Quote:
An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Newton's first law. For the sun to spew out a Jupiter-sized blob that just happens to come to rest in Jupiter's orbit, it wouldn't have been an explosion, it would be more like the sun having a bad case of constipation and expelling a big poop... in slow motion.
0 Replies