Do you know anyone who got a ticket before a license?

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:05 pm
Oh dear!!!!!

We shall have to do an uncursing ritual, or something - if I knew one.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:09 pm
I failed my driving test the first time. Made one mistake: a right turn on a red light as another driver was making a u-turn.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:13 pm
Craven wrote:
Nah, just 170.

That's more than I pay for two autos in the nation's capital of high risk driving, Houston. (OK, maybe L.A. is worse, but that is a terribly high amount of money for coverage on your car.)

Craven wrote:
I was always legal if I understand it correctly

I can only for your sake hope you are right. I wouldn't want to test that, though.

The reason your policeman was laughing so hard is because he has probably never seen or heard of your circumstance either.

I'm not joking when I say you need to buy a lottery ticket, or ask out the hottest woman you can think of, or something with similarly ridiculously long odds, either.

But the most important thing you need to do is drive like a 90-year old grandmother until your Progressive policy activates.

Seriously. Slump down in the seat, peer over the wheel, hands in the 10 and 2 position, foot just barely on the bottom of the accelerator, riding the brake when it's not...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
Heehee - well, I drove for ages alone - only on a learners - and I thought I was gone a couple of times - like when I turned down a turning lane on the wrong side of the road when turning right at a major intersection - or the early morning I was driving up a street and a police motorcycle did a u turn and followed me - inches from my rust-decayed rear bumper - and followed me all the way up this very long street - with at least eight red light intersections - I was quivering by the time he peeled off, and went back the way he was going originally.

I won't tell you what I had in the glove box - but let us say my life was passing before my eyes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Craven wrote:
Nah, just 170.

That's more than I pay for two autos in the nation's capital of high risk driving, Houston. (OK, maybe L.A. is worse, but that is a terribly high amount of money for coverage on your car.)

It's cheaper than anything else I got quoted. Heck, some people I know pay over 200.

Quote:
But the most important thing you need to do is drive like a 90-year old grandmother until your Progressive policy activates.

My grandma drives like a nut. Mebbe I should drive like me till midnight (it kicks in at midnight).

It really doesn't sound it but I drive well.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
Didja have to go through drivers' ed where you are, Craven?

I got a New Jersey permit (I read their damn book so I did fine on the test), even though I was planning to move to Maryland soon after, since it only cost 10 bucks & I figured I'd get some driving practice in earlier that way. So I paid $300 for 6 crappy hours behind the wheel with a New Jersey driving school after some of my family told me it'd be recognized in MD...it is, but MD also requires 30 hours of classroom instruction, even though I passed both the New Jersey & Maryland written tests on the first attempt. I asked if the school could just let me take their final test & be over with it, but nooo, I've gotta take public transportation to their remote location for 10 consecutive days for no duck-strangling good reason (I'm on day 3 now).

And this bloody school spent the entire first 3 hours going over the application form they'd mailed to us (which everyone had already signed, and read I presume), following each clause with example situations where students didn't follow the rules, etc.

Okay rant over now, but ahh, Tokyo Metro never seemed so sweet....
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:34 pm
If you got a ticket with only a permit here, you'd have to restart the 4-month waiting process for a provisional license, or so I'm told.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:36 pm
Monger wrote:

Nah, I think you only have to if you are under a certain age (says sagely Craven).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
Monger wrote:
If you got a ticket with only a permit here, you'd have to restart the 4-month waiting process for a provisional license, or so I'm told.

I think that's another age thing (but I'm not sure).

Damn being old rocks!

Oh, just a heads up, here, if you fail the test and are under a certain age you can't re-test for 6 months.

Now, I doubt you even have the capacity to fail it, but then again the times I did I was sure I did just fine and was always sure I'd pass.

The school stuff might help, the instructors might be better teachers for passing the test.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:40 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Monger wrote:

Nah, I think you only have to if you are under a certain age (says sagely Craven).

I'm almost 19, and my teacher here told me he once had a 70 year old student (since everyone's gotta go through it in MD). There's a 30+ year old Russian woman taking the classes with me, though she has a Russian license.
Whaddaya know, California sounds like a downright decent place to live after all...

Craven de Kere wrote:
Monger wrote:

I think that's another age thing (but I'm not sure).

Not here it ain't. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:51 pm
Monger said: "And this bloody school spent the entire first 3 hours going over the application form they'd mailed to us (which everyone had already signed, and read I presume), following each clause with example situations where students didn't follow the rules, etc."

And - I bet half the candidates STILL hadn't got half of it.

I am doing a fair bit of teaching right now - NEVER underestimate the stupidity of at least one of the people you are teaching - and each of these folk has at least one degree.

I think I will go and bash me head against a brick wall - it would be more fun.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:51 pm
Damn, California is lookin' good now.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:05 pm
dlowan wrote:
Monger said: "And this bloody school spent the entire first 3 hours going over the application form they'd mailed to us (which everyone had already signed, and read I presume), following each clause with example situations where students didn't follow the rules, etc."

And - I bet half the candidates STILL hadn't got half of it.

I am doing a fair bit of teaching right now - NEVER underestimate the stupidity of at least one of the people you are teaching - and each of these folk has at least one degree.

I think I will go and bash me head against a brick wall - it would be more fun.

Mebbe...I'm just kinda stoked since I've now spent over 500 bucks on lousy drivers ed ('twould've cost me 335 total if I didn't do the driving in New Joisey) I never needed since they give you free books on driving anyway... Heh, that brick wall sounds quite tempting to me too right now... Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:46 pm
I hear you sister - don't shoot!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:47 pm
Like either of you NEED to spend wasted money!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:11 pm
dlowan wrote:

No worries, brotha'
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:56 am
Monger wrote:
dlowan wrote:

No worries, brotha'

You were a NUN! With a GUN!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/mongerav.php

I am so not a boy......
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:34 am
Actually Craven, you're the first person I know who's had a ticket on their permit. I hate to laugh,. but it is pretty funny that you got the ticket on your way to your driving test.

Congrats on your license ;-)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:13 am
Monger - Drivers' Ed might also help you get a discount on insurance. Check with your broker.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
Yeah I'm hoping it will, but that's up to the insurance company here, I'm told, whereas at least in NJ they're required by law to give you a discount if you've gone through driving school.
0 Replies