Do you know anyone who got a ticket before a license?

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm
I got a ticket while on my way to get my driver's license. My friends laugh about it and think it's rare. So is it?

I mean, don't y'all know people who had tickets before their license?

I got mine for speeding (86 in an 70 zone), the cop was hillarious. He laughed his ass off when he saw on my permit that I was on my way to an drive-test appointment. He was joking around and such.

Pissed me off, I don't expect to get any more tickets and I was miffed that before I even got started I had one.

Cop dude assured me that "ok, one of the first things you should know about getting your license is to <huge grin> obey the speed limit".

No kiddin'

Anywho, I was running late for my appointment so he let me go quickly. "twas an odd one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,400 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Individual

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:57 pm
Haha...that's hilarious.

I was waiting in line at the DMV one day when a woman in front of me told me a story about her mother. Her mother was taking her driving test that day and was all upset that she had to wait in line so long. When they finally called her up, she went out, got in her car, and drove to the testing site whereupon the instructor immediately failed her for driving on the wrong side of the road.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Find out if there are any ramifications in getting a ticket for a moving violation. In some states, a moving violation will add points to your license, and cause your insurance rates to go up. (This you don't need)

A while ago, I was in a minor accident, and got a ticket for not yielding the right of way. The cop explained to me that if I took "safe driving course", I would not get any points on my license, my insurance rates would not go up, and I would still be considered a "safe driver" on my license.

I found out that you can take the driving course on the internet. Apparently, many states have this plan. It was a pain, but I did it.

This will give you an idea of what is involved.

http://www.americandriverimprovement.com/courses/california/online/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
So did you get your license?

Good thing he laughed at you and everything!! I was waiting to get on the freeway in Pasadena and there was a cop behind me, and I was annoyed because I was late for work and I'd have to hew to the speed limit because there was a cop behind me. I was probably looking a little annoyed. I pulled out (one of those rush hour light situations to get on the freeway) and he turned on his flashing lights and the siren and told me to pull over. I was like, WHAT??! I didn't have a very good attitude. I didn't think I had possibly glared at him enough to warrant being pulled over.

He started saying stuff, I didn't quite get it, I did the deaf spiel ("sorry, but I'm deaf and...") he didn't believe me, he got more irritated, I got more irritated (which I now understand I should never, ever, EVER do with a cop), and there was some story about beginning my right turn (onto the freeway from the main road) after the light had turned yellow. This was in my opinion complete and utter hogwash, but whatever. I went to court and everything because I'd heard that if the cop didn't show, it would be dismissed, but he showed. He was a mean guy. Hmph.

Signed, Still Stewing After My One and Only Moving Violation Ticket.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
Yeah, I'm waiting to get it in the mail. On the ticket it'll then say if I can get it off my record.

The cop also recommended a radar detector. I thought he'd hate 'em but he said "it's all part of the game."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:34 pm
Nice cop.

A co-worker who used to date a cop told me that if you're speeding and you see a cop in the rearview, DON'T brake. Just take your foot off the gas and hope you slow down enough. They look for brake lights.

I'd forgotten about the points thing, I took some stupid correspondence course and passed a test and that removed the points.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:34 pm
Quote:
The cop also recommended a radar detector.

Unbelievable. Oh well, it's California! Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
sozobe wrote:
So did you get your license?

Yeah, but I got the car first and put a few thousand miles on it before the license (month-long waiting periods at the DMV).

He busted my balls about my permit. My brother was with me and he says: "sir, did you ever read your permit."

I said that I had.

"Well then you'd know you have to have a California licensed driver with you."

"ok..."

Turns out my brother was licensed in North Carolina. My heart sank, I could not miss the drive-test or I'd lose the car (the dealer needed a license to get the financing).

He breaks out laughing and says, "I'm just bustin' your balls. I don't know why they have that requirement, it's stupid and I don't care."

Whew. But is is stupid, licensed should be enough what does state matter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:40 pm
Damn, you're lucky. All the California cops I remember meeting were meeaaan.

Congrats on the license, finally. Car! License! Movin' on up!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:42 pm
Craven- You must lead a charmed life! If you had gotten an s.o.b. you could have been in deep doo-doo!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:23 pm
Nah, charmed would be to not get a ticket like all the others who routinely speed.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:38 pm
This is pretty funny even if you're the butt of the joke, Craven.

I'd say you ought to go buy a lottery ticket, with the odds of a cop with that good a sense of humor being the one who ticketed you for no license, on the way to get your license.

That's bound to be millions to one.

States don't usually respect the licenses, certifications, college credits, etc. of other states, and they don't do so for no good reasons.

I'm amazed the dealer let you take the car without a valid license. (That's the finance manager's ass if something happens that ain't kosher, and I can tell you that in my experience as one, I wouldn't have allowed that.) Hell, how'd you get insurance without a license?

You DO have insurance, don't you?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:41 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I'm amazed the dealer let you take the car without a valid license.

Same here.

Quote:
(That's the finance manager's ass if something happens that ain't kosher, and I can tell you that in my experience as one, I wouldn't have allowed that.) Hell, how'd you get insurance without a license?

I have no idea, when I bought the car I was very clear that I only had a permit. And they sold me a one month policy.

But Progressive was gonna give me a policy without one, so I don't know what the law/policies are.

Quote:
You DO have insurance, don't you?

Yep, with Cartel "like the drug guys" till tomorrow, when my policy switches over to progressive.

Between 12:00 and 12:01 I can't get into any accidents. I'm pretty nervous.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:47 pm
I forgot one embarassing part of the whole story.

Like with the written test, I failed my drive test. And the next one.

I was on my way to the third.

The cop noticed and was slapping his sides.

Funny thing is, everyone who I know could not for the life of them understand why I'd failed. I drove just fine. <shrugs>

I was getting penalized for really stupid stuff that I have yet to see anyone ever do (use turn signals and check blind spot when pulling to the curb at 10 mph on a deserted street?).

Anywho, my only advice to anyone who wants to get past these tests is to read the damn books. It has nothing to do with common sense like everyone had told me ("it's just common sense, you'll do fine").

Wholly uncommon, the only tests I've ever failed and for reasons nobody understands.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:50 pm
this is kind of funny worth writing in the press about maybe?? Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
Craven wrote:
Yep, with Cartel "like the drug guys" till tomorrow, when my policy switches over to progressive.

Between 12:00 and 12:01 I can't get into any accidents. I'm pretty nervous.

That 30-day binder must have cost you a fortune.

And not just because they bound you without a license.

Please note: it is worthless. The insurance company would refuse a claim on the basis of fraud perpetrated by the agent or the car salesman or the finance manager or you (they wouldn't care which).

And you would have a wrecked car, financed, on which you'd have to make the payments, unless you decided not to, in which case you would have a repo on your history and trashed credit for, oh, say, the next seven to ten years.

Not to mention no car, or eighteen percent on all the ones you finance for that period of time.

Progressive is an excellent insurer; I have them myself, but they don't put up with any funny business.

Craven, get that car parked until you're legal, and not in the garage or under a tree where something could fall on it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:56 pm
I'm not joking.

Something bad could happen that could cost you tens of thousands of dollars more than necessary for a long time.

And BTW, in my ten-year experience in dealerships, I never heard of this happening a single time.

I'd say you're lucky, although it remains to be seen (so says the dwarf on my shoulder) whether it is good luck or bad.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:59 pm
ALL others who routinely speed?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:00 pm
PDiddie wrote:

That 30-day binder must have cost you a fortune.

Nah, just 170.

Quote:
Craven, get that car parked until you're legal, and not in the garage or under a tree where something could fall on it.

I was always legal if I understand it correctly (foreigners get insurance here all the time without US licenses). But if you mean licensed I've been licensed since the 27th of last month.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:02 pm
dlowan wrote:
ALL others who routinely speed?

At that time it was like the first time I decided to pass the speed limit (was in a hurry for the test that was hundreds of miles away because it was the only appointment I could get within the financing window).

My brother laughed, he speeds every time he gets into a car and he has no tickets.

Everyone on the desert highway was going much faster than I was too.

HE said to me "I hope this is not your new thing".

I used to get robbed a lot, for no apparent reason that we could pinpoint. He was laughing about this bing my new one.
0 Replies