Bad taste? Condi nude & Hillary baking cookies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:04 pm
A Paramount trailer for its upcoming release of the remake of "The Stepford Wives" includes a flashed image of Condoleeza Rice made to look nude from the waist up and a schmaltzy depicture of Hillary Clinton as the perfect traditional cookie-baking wife.

Poor taste?

Even here on A2K we see some pretty insulting cartoons related to national figures. Are these appropriate? Constructive? Helpful to the national debate?

I'm not pretending any sanctimonious point of view here. I smile at some of those cartoons too, and I'm not sure what I think of Condi and Hillary being used (against their knowledge or will) in a movie ad.

What do you think?

http://www.local10.com/entertainment/3393039/detail.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:07 pm
The movie, from what I can gather, is about a nefarious process to turn women into a man's 'ideal.'

Given that, I think that any process that can change Rice into a hottie and Clinton into a cookie baking homemaker is absolutely hilarious. It would enjoy bilateral support across the nation - from the male gender, at least.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
Fox, none cartoonage of politicans is helpful in any respect.
But IMO it loosens up the citizens' minds, say make them able to laugh about those guys in charge.
I mean making fun of persons who gained more power and more money than you will ever do lies just in the nature of human beings.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
The Stepford Wives, the original, was a fantastic commentary on women's roles in society at the time. When I first saw it, I thought it begged for a remake, but I have real doubts about this current incarnation. First, maybe the makers think that the issues explored in the original do not apply today, so they planned to make a farce of it, and second, I had no idea about this particular trailer, but if that is true, I think it is indeed inappropriate. The premise of the movie IS political, but not in that way.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073747/

That's the one I saw, 1975, when issues regarding women's liberation were peaking.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
I think it's a mountain out of a molehill to be concerned about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:28 pm
I think Condi looks pretty sexy. Niiiiice . . .
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
How would you produce a mountain of molehill, Beary?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
Yes, I have the original movie on VHS and it is rather compelling in its politicalsociological overtones though not riveting enough to watch again and again. It speaks much more to a perceived evil inclination of the male species more than it does to womens liberation though I think.

In the matter of the Paramount ad, I'm torn. There is a part of me that says if you put yourself out there to be a big shot with power to influence human affairs, you're fair game. The other part of me says that people who devote themselves to public service are deserving of a measure of deference and respect.

Cyclop's take on it is thought provoking too, though I think it would be funnier if Hillary had been made the hottie Smile
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think Condi looks pretty sexy. Niiiiice . . .

Nooo way kickycan.
http://www.bothsidesnow.co.uk/xrrf/avrilbutt.jpghttp://www.allhatnocattle.net/lonely%20condi.jpg

See? You better stick with Avril buddy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes, I have the original movie on VHS and it is rather compelling in its politicalsociological overtones though not riveting enough to watch again and again. It speaks much more to a perceived evil inclination of the male species more than it does to womens liberation though I think.

In the matter of the Paramount ad, I'm torn. There is a part of me that says if you put yourself out there to be a big shot with power to influence human affairs, you're fair game. The other part of me says that people who devote themselves to public service are deserving of a measure of deference and respect.

Cyclop's take on it is thought provoking too, though I think it would be funnier if Hillary had been made the hottie Smile

Well, I agree that it's not a movie one would be inclined to see over and over, but your statement about a perceived inherent evil in the male species actually goes right to the heart of feminism in the 70s.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Yeah you're probably right about that Cav. That was when society attempted to reduce men to feminized, sensitive, ineffectual, chauvenist sperm bearers with an inept comical image in most TV sitcoms. In truth, I don't think men have fully recovered from all that yet though I see a healthy trend toward a healthy recognition and appreciation that men are different from women in important ways and have their own critical role in the scheme of things.

It all goes to show that no matter how screwed up it all gets, the pendulum always swings back sooner or later.

I'm hoping the pendulum swings back to a more civil society too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:23 pm
I'm confident that things will balance out eventually. That's why I try to avoid politics. Laughing
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:19 pm
I loved the original Stepford just because it was so different, but I must admit...

I LOVE my women with attitude...

I love a woman who isn't reticent about telling me what she wants... Very Happy

I think a woman is at her sexiest when she is glaring at you in anger... Evil or Very Mad

I think a woman who is nothing but a shadow of her husbands will is nauseating...

Thats why I date redheads exclusively

As I always say:

Dating a redhead is kind of like juggling nitroglycerin...

It's very dangerous and VERY exciting and you're pretty sure that someone's going to get hurt...

But it is SUCH a rush.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:15 pm
Gee, too bad you aren't older and me younger and single Fedral. Nobody is less reticent than me. Of course that annoys most people. Smile
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:46 pm
I'm sure the goal of the ads was to cause a ruckus and get a whack of free publicity. Bingo! They got it.
0 Replies