Angels In America

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:58 pm
Yeah I went and checked. I guess I was confused by the date that the play came out.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
The play was written in two parts. Part 1 is Angels in America: Millenium Approaches and ran on Broadway from 5/4/1993 to 12/4/1994. Part 2 is Angels in America: Perestroika and it ran 11/23/1993 to 12/4/1994 on B'way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:33 am
Golly, I missed this thread -- glad the members in Oz finally got to see it. Ebert and Roeper on one of their shows alluded to the miniseries as the best dramatic film of the year even if it wasn't in theaters. I do have the DVD set on my list to buy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:59 am
Lightwizard

Yes, a wonderful viewing experience. A good idea, to purchase the DVD set. I might do the same. I'd certainly like to see it again, after a while. I'm sure there are things that I missed, it was so rich & complex.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:05 am
It's a great pleasure to watch the production again -- can anyone imagine that the special effects in the film were all done on stage? The angle crashing through the ceiling consistently induced gasps in the live audiences. I saw it in the live performances and there are many heart-stopping scenes which the miniseries expertly brought to the screen. The second time I watched it as a marathon and my Mom got glued to the screen. She said it was the best thing she'd ever seen on TV.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:08 am
Lightwizard

Your mother might just be right! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
I had to go out and cook something for lunch and dinner -- couldn't tear her away from the screen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:17 am
A very discerning mother you have there, Lightwizard! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:54 pm
She likes my cooking, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:48 am
If anyone's interested in a movie BASED on the Rosenbergs then I recommend 'Daniel'. It's told in 'repeated flashback' style with Timothy Hutton as the title character, the son of the 'Isaacsons/Rosenbergs', who are played by Mandy Patinkin and Lindsay Crouse.

'Daniel' is quite harrowing to watch as, eventually, we get to "see" the executions. Because it's a 'Mandy movie' I have it on video and will get the DVD when available (and I can afford it) but I don't watch it very often.

Trivia item: Early in the movie, Paul Isaacson (MP) is shown dancing around, holding 'baby Isaacson' at a gathering of family and friends. The baby is actually Mandy's own son, Isaac Grody Patinkin, who will be 22 this year! Surprised
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:16 am
Shekeda

Daniel is an excellent film. I still have it on tape, but haven't seen it for ages. Maybe a repeat viewing soon!
0 Replies