Angels In America

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:09 pm
yep. The luck of my sister and bro-in-law has once again kicked in. Someone gave them a flat panel tv screen. So, with any luck of my own, I'll be getting a tv (their old one) that has actual cable connections.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:10 pm
Oh, good! Very Happy
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:11 pm
Didn't read all of this thread, but Angels in America was shown on the various HBO stations a while back with loads of publicity leading up to it.

One station showed it in three 2-hour blocks, another station showed it six 1-hour blocks, and yet another station aired the entire 6 hours start to finish.

I watched the three 2-hour block version, found it stunning! Acting was superb. I was a kid during that era - Ray Cohn, Reagan, etc, so it was interesting to see that period revisited through the eyes of this storyline.

I imagine it will get loads of Emmy nominations and wins for the various categories, only it would be too hard for me to choose between the best male and best female actress - they were all great!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:12 pm
Buffy, I think all the awards it's going to get have been given already. Isn't it quite a few years old?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
buffy

Was Cohn a real, live person? (I ask from Australia, not knowing these things. Smile )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
Yep. And extremely dastardly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
hnh, it came out in 2003....? wow.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yep. And extremely dastardly.

Wow! that adds a really amazing perspective to Angels, Soz.
So he REALLY did campaign so hard to have the Rosenberg's executed?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
It swept the Golden Globes; Al Pacino, Meryl Streep (leads), Jeffrey Wright, and Mary-Louise Parker (supporting). And best miniseries.

http://hfpa.org/html/GoldenGlobeAwards-2004.html

Looks like it's up for Emmys in September, but nominations haven't been announced yet (?).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:22 pm
Yep.

Read it and weep:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAcohn.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
sozobe wrote:

Well I'm gob-smacked! I wish I'd known this before watching Angels.
Now I feel a whole lot better about Ethel getting her own back, last night! Twisted Evil
I'm also wondering if there were any legal problems with Pacino's portrayal of him. Pure Evil!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:28 pm
I'm guessing (just a guess!) that they did their research about him (Roy) before shooting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
Yeah, I think the pure evilness is pretty well established. Not much room for character assassination if the subject has no character to begin with.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
They would have HAD to, wouldn't they, littlek? Otherwise there could have been all sorts of legal strife! So if Cohn was based on reality ... wow, what a monster!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:37 pm
So, I'm guessing that Cohn could well have been an associate of Reagan?( Un-American Activities, etc) ...
BTW, it was pretty amazing watching Angels last night, straight after Reagan's funeral parade in NYC on the news.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:46 pm

Roy Cohn Biography
From GayGate.com

Excerpt:

Roy Marcus Cohn was born on February 20, 1927 in New York City. His father was a justice in the appellate division of the New York State Supreme Court, and extremely influential within the ranks of the Democratic Party, . Cohn was a precocious child, attending the Fieldstone School and Columbia College. At the age of 20 he graduated from Columbia Law school--too young to take the bar exam. After being admitted to the bar the next year, he used his connections to get on the staff of the United States Attorney in Manhattan. There he quickly made a reputation for himself, coming to widespread public attention during the controversial spy trial of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg when his direct and unrelenting examination of Mrs. Rosenberg's brother led him to name his sister as a member of a Soviet spy ring. Chiefly on the basis of the testimony Cohn elicited, the couple were convicted and, despite widespread concern about the fairness of the trial, electrocuted...

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:56 pm
" ..By all rights, Reaganites should be more enraged by "Angels in America," which not only suggests that the Gipper turned a blind eye to the AIDS crisis, but also secretly delivered stashes of the then unavailable anti-AIDS drug AZT to Cohn, who was dying of the disease."

Link to article below
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:03 pm
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17327
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:35 pm
In this time after RR's death, his lack of effort on the AIDS/HIV issue has definitely been talked about. At least it was a part of a discussion I listened to on NPR. He could have made such a difference so early on and he didn't.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:56 pm
littlek wrote:
Buffy, I think all the awards it's going to get have been given already. Isn't it quite a few years old?

It was on Broadway years ago, not exactly sure - early 90's? But the TV version is fairly recent. Which means it would be eligible for the various TV awards during this particular season.
0 Replies