Angels In America

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:20 am
I just watched the first episode of Angels In America, tonight. The national broadcaster (the ABC) is screening it over 3 nights.
It was very intense television! I'll definitely be back for the next 2 installments.
Anyway, I'm curious. This must have have been shown some time ago in the US & other countries.
How was it received?
And if you watched it, what was your assessment of the production?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,057 • Replies: 71
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:37 am
Yes, it played here (USA) on HBO over the winter. I watched the majority of it and found it quit moving. Great cast, too!

As to its receipt here, I heard very little about it outside of HBO. Initial leadup to its start had some promo, but otherwise I did not here a lot of discussion. There may have been, I just didn't hear it. Too bad, too. I thought it was a super opportunity to discuss an important social / medical issue.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:50 am
squinney

It didn't have much build-up here in Oz, either, till about a week ago. And it's quite timely, looking at 80s political stuff, just as everyone is re-visiting Reagan's presidency. I was very impressed with Al Pacino's performance. Rivetting. The relationship of the Mormon couple (don't know their names) is excruciating to watch. They are so tangled up together - she with her valium to cope & he with his repressed homosexuality. It feels quite onymous. Something awful is about to happen ...
As for the rest, we'll see ....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:37 am
I heard a lot about it. It showed when my TV was broken (going on one year now) so I didn't see it, but read a ton about it and it sounded very good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:20 am
I spent 7 hours in the theatre watching a production of Angels in America. I could fairly say it changed my views on a lot of subjects. Intense? Absolutely. Horrifying? Sometimes. Enthralling? I couldn't look away even when I really wanted to.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:51 pm
Never heard of it! Tell me more.

When and where is it on. Msilga?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:55 pm
I knew very little about it when it was fist out. My brother had some tapes of the series this past winter. I watched one tape that had, I think, the last 2 installments on it. I loved it. I was shocked that I'd never seen it before then. I want to rent the whole thing and watch it over a weekend.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
When and where is it on. Msolga?

The ABC is showing it over 3 nights this week, dlowan. Two hours each episode. It started last night @ 8:30. I assumed they were showing it in all states of Oz, Maybe not?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I spent 7 hours in the theatre watching a production of Angels in America. I could fairly say it changed my views on a lot of subjects. Intense? Absolutely. Horrifying? Sometimes. Enthralling? I couldn't look away even when I really wanted to.

ehBeth

I imagine it would have been engrossing theatre. The TV version has the feel of a play at times. Lots of important statements, almost speeches.

Tonight I'm expecting the worst for poor, innocent Joe Pitt. (the Mormon whose been taken under the wing of the evil Cohn (Pacino). Thinking about the episode in the bar, where Cohn "befriends" Pitt, gives me the chills! Awful, slow seduction of a total innocent! And he's going to take Pitt to Washington. I fear it's all going to happen to poor Pitt! And what on earth will happen to Harper, his wife, I wonder?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:40 pm
littlek wrote:
I knew very little about it when it was fist out. My brother had some tapes of the series this past winter. I watched one tape that had, I think, the last 2 installments on it. I loved it. I was shocked that I'd never seen it before then. I want to rent the whole thing and watch it over a weekend.

That is going to be one intense weekend, littlek!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:55 pm
The performances that have most impressed me so far:

The Rabbi's address at Louis's grandmother's funeral. Everything from inept, humorous to intensely moving & joyful.Was that REALLY Meryl Streep in a beard?
Cohn's scene in his doctor's office. His amazing REFUSAL that it's AIDS he has, it's cancer. What a performance by Pacino!
And the shocking, cynical seduction of Joe Pitt by Cohn. Or the seeds of seduction might be a better description. Chilling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:56 pm
I'm curious, ehBeth. How were the fantasy episodes treated on stage?
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:23 pm
I recorded last night's episode and will be adding the rest onto the tape. Then I'll watch it straight through, if I want, for the first time.

I'm glad it <b>isn't</b> on cable here or I wouldn't be able to see it (unless/until its released on DVD) Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:32 pm
Shekeda

Ah, a Melbournian! Very Happy (For some reason I thought you were a Melbournian living in Essex! Confused )

Did you peak at any of last night's episode while taping?

You're going to watch it all in one go, like littlek? That is going to be a very heavy session!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:04 am
Msolga - i am sure 'tis on here - but I have not watched much teev lately - i will check it out tonight.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:28 am
Angels in America, the movie, is a fantastic production. It started as a play, written by Tony Kushner, that won a Pulitzer prize for drama in 1993.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 05:43 am
msolga wrote:
I'm curious, ehBeth. How were the fantasy episodes treated on stage?

I have read (accounts written by others who have seen both productions) that the most difficult effect was the Bible-on-pedestal which crashed up through the hospital waiting room floor, but was accomplished to believability on Broadway.

The cinema used computer animation, making the task easier.

Yes, Angels in America is one of in a line of several ground-breaking shows HBO keeps pulling off.

Band of Brothers is probably the finest miniseries I have ever watched. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnivale, Deadwood, the recently ended Sex in the City,...the list just goes on and on.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:48 am
Wow! Just finished watching episode 2 - wish I hadn't missed episode one, dammit.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:56 am
littlek wrote:
I knew very little about it when it was fist out. .

Freudian slip?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:58 am
Meryl Streep as Ethel Rosenberg!
0 Replies