2015 just over the horizon

jcboy
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 06:46 pm
For me every year is better than the year before. February our son will be nine years old, how fast did that go by!

We have been talking about adopting a child next year. We would both love to have a daughter and a little sister to Antonio. We have plenty of room and can give her a wonderful loving home. We’re not thinking of an infant but a young child living in foster care. In the next month or so we’ll be looking for an adoption Attorney.

That’s our goal for 2015 and it will happen.
FBM

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

what area are you looking at for some more postgrad work?
You've got a good writing style, (even when youre being a bit snotty at some of your correspondents). I hope that you are able to best use that skill. Technical writing is mostly (IMHO) garbage prose that's covered in jargon and "inside phrases" so that its only accessible to a few.

Gracias. I had a technical writing class once. Think I'll pass on that one. The prof used one of my papers as a model paper once, but I' rather watch paint dry in a mortuary than do that for a living. Or even teach others how to do it.

I'd love to focus on Asian philosophy, but I'd also love to be able to pay rent. So I'm looking at either English Lit. or English Education (teaching kids how to be English teachers, which I'm already doing). I plan to apply to Seoul National Univ. If they'll have me, I'll go with the Eng. Lang. and Lit. Dept., I reckon.

As for being snotty, well, some people get what they deserve, I say. Hee hee. Ignorance is not a problem, but wilful ignorance combined with intellectual dishonesty? Piss on 'em. Wink
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:36 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
I've got a trilogy to finish.

Reading, or writing?

I've got a trilogy to start.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 09:21 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
As for being snotty, well, some people get what they deserve, I say. Hee hee. Ignorance is not a problem, but wilful ignorance combined with intellectual dishonesty? Piss on 'em.

Well, I could disagree with you but then Id be wrong.
Lit. A friend of mine, a well known author in "Creative Non fiction" started his career s a rporter in sports, science, and hard news. He says that a degree with a writing MFA and then experience gave him his bsic tools until his head ran into his book ideas.
Today hes loaded with "**** you" money and still likes ht he does.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 09:31 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

For me every year is better than the year before. February our son will be nine years old, how fast did that go by!

We have been talking about adopting a child next year. We would both love to have a daughter and a little sister to Antonio. We have plenty of room and can give her a wonderful loving home. We’re not thinking of an infant but a young child living in foster care. In the next month or so we’ll be looking for an adoption Attorney.

That’s our goal for 2015 and it will happen.

That's wonderful news, jcboy! Before you take an adoption attorney,
you may want to contact your local social services. They have so many
kids in foster care who would love to have a good home. That's how
I got my daughter.
You need to complete a home study with them regardless if you go
through social services or private adoption.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 09:32 pm
As for 2015 - I hope it will be quiet and peaceful, that's all I am asking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 09:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
Jes won a national writing contest, is published, it's at Amazon, and she's making it a trilogy.
http://able2know.org/topic/225123-1

Brava!!!!!!!!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 10:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Please read the whole thread!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 11:45 pm
I've been pondering Beth's post about picnics.

I'm down in the dumps a bit at present and I'm thinking it's partly due to increased isolation because I live a long way from most of my friends now.

Also having months of severe back pain meant I have wanted to avoid driving whenever possible.

People of course say they'll come and visit a lot, but I have discovered from talking with other movers from the city that this is almost universally untrue.

So...my plan is to entertain more.....simple entertainments as my back won't handle my old casual habit of throwing full dinner parties for 16, as was my wont.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:17 am
@farmerman,
Well, even if I do wind up with a doctorate, I don't expect to be driving a Maserati without doing something on the side. But with the creds, I might be able to sell a pedagogy book or two. Maybe even something for popular consumption. Even if my plan goes bust, what the hell. I only teach 10 hrs/wk with 4 1/2 months paid vacation. It's a trade-off between motivation and laziness for me. Heh heh...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:47 am
I gotta get the thing in my lung taken care of. Appointments coming up.

Gonna get my teeth fixed.

Gonna get new glasses.

Gonna keep doing what I enjoy doing.

Gonna read more for pleasure. I'm signing up for the NY Public Library books by mail program.

Gotta figure out how to get my steenkin' edge back. Edgelessness n'est pas c'est moi.

0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 06:50 am
I guess for me it means I'll be able to legally get married in Florida!

I'm planning on a June wedding, I've always wanted to be a June bride Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 08:48 am
@Ticomaya,
I'm published. The trilogy is actually a different sci fi universe from what I've already got out there. I also sent in a short story recently, answering the call for an anthology. That one is a very NSFW comedy (lots of f-bombs). If that one's picked up, I'll post the deets, er, somewhere or other.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:37 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Jes won a national writing contest, is published, it's at Amazon, and she's making it a trilogy.
http://able2know.org/topic/225123-1

Ah, yes. I recall that. Very cool!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 08:26 pm
Happy New Year everyone!

I hope all your dreams come true - big, small and somewhat undefined.

Wink
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
only time I have big dreams is if I eat a pizza before bed
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 08:36 pm
I have big dreams often (it's the new mexico chile peppers) but I never manage to resolve whatever the latest change of quandary is before I wake up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 10:54 pm
@farmerman,
I had too many sweet pickled onions on New Years Eve.

Big dreaming ensued.

The best (?) - me dancing three solos at a show that I didn't realize was a public performance and our entire dance troupe riding pink scooters with turquoise and purple flames. We are really so not pink scooter riding chicas.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2015 05:09 am
@ehBeth,
when I drank, I was particularly fond of gibsons with extry pickled onion juice and no vermouth at all. Basically gin and onions, strait up.
Boy could I sing
jcboy

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 09:39 pm
Thank you Beth for my beautiful red ribbon

And trust me this will happen this year!
Razz