Bush Camp Makes Fatal Decision to Run on Reagan Legacy

Harper

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:02 pm
Yup, that's what they are going to try to do. Make Dubya into mini-Reagan. It will fail miserably. I didn't like RR, in fact, I think he should have been indicted, his Alzheimer's prevented it. But I would trade a DEAD Ronald Reagan over the disaster who now occupies the Oval Office.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 15
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
Which "disaster" would you have preferred to be in the Oval office beginning January 20, 2001? GW Bush, or Al Gore, Jr. and why?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:58 pm
Bush modelled himself after Reagan from the start.
He mentioned RR pre-election in speeches, and since.

He's a Reaganite in every sense of the word.

And, even the top Dems give Reagan his due.

The Reagan Dems (You know, the ones who gave Reagan 49 states), who may have been waffling on their choice for 2004 will hop back on the wagon. At least enough of them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:02 pm
The kiss of death would be to mischaracterize Reagan.

Even Kerry cut the political banter this week, and cancelled three campaign fundraisers, and has been waxing poetic about RR. YOU may not have liked Reagan--but turn on the TV. You are in the extreme minority-- Maybe not on A2K, but nationally.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:12 pm
I didn't agree with him politically, but I thought he was a hell of a leader. He made the presidents who came after him look like amateurs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
the major thing I will give RR credit for is his "feel-good" aura that translated into an improved US citizenry attitude, I would add that RR had a consistent integrity. both attributes lacking in Bush.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:17 pm
Yeah, dys.

I heard some pundits today, saying Bush was too dour and negative--could use a dose of positivity. He has been optimistic in content about the economy--but it doesn't translate in his face or tone.

(Of course, if he got all enthusiastic and happy, God knows what that would look like...)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:58 pm
He'd look drunk, Sofia.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:34 am
I agree with you on most points Harper. Reagan helped to end the cold war and Communism without a shot being fired. He believed in peace and diplomacy before war. Dubya, on the other hand, believes in "shoot first". His actions are the most reprehensible of any president we have ever had. It's no wonder the rest of the world hates us.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:10 am
NickFun wrote:
Dubya, on the other hand, believes in "shoot first".

Really? There are a few thousand people who died on 9-11 who would say that we weren't the aggressors.

General Tsao
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:18 am
GeneralTsao wrote:
NickFun wrote:
Dubya, on the other hand, believes in "shoot first".

Really? There are a few thousand people who died on 9-11 who would say that we weren't the aggressors.

General Tsao

That explains and justifies Afghanistan, not Iraq.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
Hey General Tsao and Fb! The countries we are attacking were not responsible for 9/11! The Afghan people were not the terrorists. Neither were the Iraqis. On the contrary, even Saddam didn't like al Qeda. The countries most trained in terrorism are Saudia Arabia and Jordan - but they are our "allies"! Most of the terrorists from 9/11 were Saudi!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
Eva wrote:
I didn't agree with him politically, but I thought he was a hell of a leader. He made the presidents who came after him look like amateurs.

So true. I saw Newt Gingrich saying that Bush was a lot like Reagan last night. I think the Repubs are going to make a big mistake if they start trying to morph Bush into Reagan. All it will do is point out to people how horrible Bush is as a communicator, and what a failure he is as a "uniter."

If he was half, no, even a quarter of the communicator and diplomat that Reagan was, I believe that we might not even be in Iraq at all right now, and at worst, we'd at least be able to come to a consensus on why the hell we went there in the first place. As it is now, it's either liberation of the Iraqi people, strategic democracy building, or weapons of mass destruction.

I'm glad that Reagan's death is getting so much press, because it shines a big fat spotlight on just how unpresidencial George Bush is.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:20 pm
kickycan wrote:
I'm glad that Reagan's death is getting so much press, because it shines a big fat spotlight on just how unpresidencial George Bush is.

Doesn't it, though! Bush looks like an idiot compared to Reagan. I can't believe they're going to let him deliver the eulogy. What a disgrace.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:43 pm
NickFun wrote:
Hey General Tsao and Fb! The countries we are attacking were not responsible for 9/11! The Afghan people were not the terrorists. Neither were the Iraqis. On the contrary, even Saddam didn't like al Qeda. The countries most trained in terrorism are Saudia Arabia and Jordan - but they are our "allies"! Most of the terrorists from 9/11 were Saudi!

The mastermind of 9/11, Osama Bin Laden, was hiding in Afghanistan, and protected by the Taliban regime.

----

Of course it's logical for GWB to run on Reagan's shadow.

Even if I loathed Reagan, I gotta agree that he was popular and much liked by a majority of his countrymen.
GWB lacks charisma. He'll borrow, or grab, anything that ressembles it.
"Reagan/Bush", was a twice-winning ticket. It's a word association that works in the current president's favor.

----

Reagan's death was almost timely, electionwise (maybe a couple of months too early).
The more special treatment the former president receives (somebody posted something about Mt Rushmore! Rolling Eyes), the more difficult it will become for the democrats to critisize some of Bush's right wing stances (that the incumbent can praise as "reaganite").

---

Now, if Jimmy Carter died, the comparison would mean disaster for the Democrats? Would it not?
Just askin' (and prayin' for good Jimmy's health)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:59 pm
Good point to fbaezer.

I was talking with someone about what kind of public/political reaction the deaths of other former Presidents would have.

One of the main praises of Reagan centers around how he lifted the country back up after Carter's dismal Presidency--even though they don't say Carter's name, its clear what they refer to--

I think Carter's death would be a harsh reminder of how weak he allowed the military to be--and how ineffectual he was. They would have glowing things to say about his character--and post-Presidency--but, I think it would be a negative for Kerry and the Dems. Also, don't think anyone but Clinton would merit the same wall-to-wall coverage...partially due to an early death.
0 Replies