which is proper?

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:21 am
"You will all submit." Or "You all will submit".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 593 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 12:10 pm
@BabyFaceFinster,
Babe, they're both okay but first collo 'cuz easier said
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 12:16 pm
"You all will" is something only a non-native speaker would say.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 12:49 pm
@contrex,
Yes Con except possibly in the Southern US where it's considered entirely acceptable in everyday conversation
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 12:52 pm
@contrex,
I am a native speaker (Northeastern US). "You all will submit" seems natural to me.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Even more natural Max, "You'll…"
Still I find "all will" awkward
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:57 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Yes Con except possibly in the Southern US where it's considered entirely acceptable in everyday conversation

I thought they used "you all" when addressing individuals as well as groups, so that it just means "you", not "all of you". Isn't that right? Like in the joke where a "good old boy" drives to New York and when he is nearly there he calls into a gas station and the service guy says "How's your oil?" and the Southerner replies "We all's fine, thanks, how's you all?"

I have read that you all/y'all used to an individual may imply "you and your kin", and also that Southerners say e.g. All y’all, all of y’all, or alls y’all to indicate a larger group than is necessarily implied by y'all
roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 03:01 pm
@contrex,
You can be both singular and plural. So can ya'll or you all, in my experience. I pretty much grew up in central and south Florida, and that is how it was used.

I have observed that Yankees trying to say you all are very conspicuous. If you are ever in the South; avoid the usage. You will only sound phony.
contrex

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 03:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
avoid the usage. You will only sound phony.

Is that why people looked at me oddly when I said "Sho' nuff!" in South Carolina?
roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 03:11 pm
@contrex,
Why bless your heart, I think you've got it.
0 Replies

BabyFaceFinster

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:38 pm
@BabyFaceFinster,
This all came about because of a post ABOUT "grammar Nazi's" today. And I ended up hysterical. THANKS EVERYONE!!
BabyFaceFinster

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:39 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:48 am
@BabyFaceFinster,

Quote:
"grammar Nazi's"

No apostrophe please, fer chrissakes.
contrex

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:59 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Quote:
"grammar Nazi's"

No apostrophe please, fer chrissakes.

I wondered about this, but decided not to say anything, because some style guides say it is OK to apostrophise plurals of contractions e.g photo's (photographs), taxi's (taxicabs), also letters (dot your i's and cross your t's), numerals (the 1970's). Nazi is a (German) contraction of National Sozialistische Deutsch Arbeiter-Partei. Personally I would leave them all out. Older UK texts show an intitial apostrophe for 'bus (omnibus), but nobody uses that any more.

0 Replies