Why wasn't there a Canadian sector in deafeated Nazi-Germany

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:28 am
Hi

I recently wondered whether there hasn't been a Canadian sector in defeated Nazi-Germany. I mean the Canadians supported the war against Hitler with about 1.1 million soldiers (according to the CBC webiste) and they did suffer a high loss of men in respect to Canada's small population.
Was Canada simply not ready to take this great responsibility at that time or did they support the British sector from the beginning and the issue of a Canadian sector never arose?

Thanks for your efforts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,114 • Replies: 8
No top replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:31 am
CBC's website on D-Day
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
1. Canada didn't supply enough troops to merit its own sector.
2. Canada was closely aligned with the UK as a member of the Dominion: a Canadian sector would have been viewed by some (i.e. the French and Soviets) as just a second British sector.
3. If they gave Canada a sector, then everyone else would have wanted one too.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:41 am
I think I agree with your idea of Canada simply being of not enough political importance at the time - it was just firmly tied into the Dominion.
But on the other hand it's still a little odd, because Canada was already a nation of its own and yet those Canadians simply went into that war, helped to defeat the Germans and went out again without taking any further responsibility...so is there absolutely nothing political the Canadians did in Germany?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
Well, until the 70's, there were quite some Canadian forces staioned in Germany (as there were Dutch, Belgium, Polish, Danish as well [might be even more, especially in the foremr GDR-part]).

In my county that was Fort Prince of Wales and Fort Henry in Hemer [which actually is outsite the county borders];
Fort Chambly, Fort Henry and Fort York in Soest; Fort St Louis, Fort Anne and Fort Victoria in Werl.

URL=http://www.eroc.de/radio_cae_english/radio_cae-studio/body_radio_cae-studio.html]"This is Canadian Forces Radio CAE in Werl, Germany"[[/URL] was always tuned on by little Walter .... and our county's only skating hall is the former Canadian forces one.

The "FRANKFURTER RUNDSCHAU" published on September 5, 1962 the headline: Every thousandth Canadian lives in Westphalia - Soest and Iserlohn satisfied with the richest soldiers of the world.." In total 16.000 Canadian men, women and children lived at that time here.

The Canadian airforce was even longer stationed in Lahr and Baden in Southern Germany.

Since the website doesn't seem to be online anymore, here's the source of above (and more) from "Google cache"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:23 am
Well, if you were to go by per capita allied participation, New Zealand would have been way up there with the Soviet Union.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:45 am
roger wrote:
Well, if you were to go by per capita allied participation, New Zealand would have been way up there with the Soviet Union.

3 Luxemburgish officer cadets, 9 NCO's and 68 other ranks formed the "Luxembourg Battery" in the "Artillery Group - 1st Belgium Liberation Brigade".

I don't know the exact figures fro the Luxmboug population in 1944, but ... :wink:
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:01 am
Thanks a lot Walter for the interesting websites.
The only location I know from those websites is Baden...so it looks like the Canadians supported the French in their sector with troops - in case I'm right an Baden lies indeed within the former French sector.

Well roger, I'm not talking about some individual citizens fighting in another military force. I'm talking about a whole country taking on the task of fighting the Nazis, and there were in fact three of them USA, GB, and Canada - when you're focusing on the western front.
And the websites suggested by Walter do point out that Canada did indeed take on some responsiblity by supplying a "defence force".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:20 am
British zone it is, where I live [my wife still has an old British Zone ID card] - and yes, the others have been in the French zone.
0 Replies