5

Constipation

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:08 pm
A couple weeks ago, I was feeling constipated, so I took a couple stimulant laxatives. I went, and everything was fine. Except for I couldn't go after that. So about 3 days later I took another 2, and that didn't work. So the next day I took 3 with Epsom salts, and that cleared me right out. But then, I STILL couldn't go on my own. So I took a couple dulcolax a few days later, and that cleared me right up. But now, im experiencing abdominal pain and STILL CONSTIPATED. What do I do? I don't want to go to the doctor, so are there any other things I could do? ive begun to take fiber supplements and drink more water, but its not helping.

neologist

1  
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:21 pm
@darlapig,
'Normal' bowel habits vary from person to person and from time to time, so there may be nothing at all wrong. That being said, it may be wise to consult a professional. Does your community have a health hotline or other service where you can consult for free over the phone? At any rate, it's probably not wise to overdo laxatives.

And, this is not the best place to turn for help. We have a few physicians here. But the forum is a feeble office.
Butrflynet

2  
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 06:30 pm
@darlapig,
If you've purged your bowels with laxatives, it takes several days for your intestines to fill again.

Check your medications, many, especially narcotic pain relievers, cause constipation. This is why a stool softener like Colace is often prescribed along with it. Colace is not a laxative.

Be sure you are drinking enough water, at least 6 glasses a day, especially if you are eating extra fiber. Without the water, you are creating hard bricks of fiber.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 07:16 pm
@neologist,
No, we have physicians here who are not interested in posting advice to the wide world, and are advised not to in the website terms of agreement. Those physicians are not feeble, neo.

neologist

2  
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Not feeble physicians
Feeble office
Therefore bad place to diagnose or treat
DNA Thumbs drive

2  
Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 08:44 pm
@darlapig,
The best natural remedy, is eating oat meal..............This worked for me, until I found out that my problem was Celiac disease, or an allergy to Gluten.

ossobuco

0  
Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:12 am
@neologist,
What does that mean?

you think any physicians who are a2kers who don't post diagnoses from a short read are feeble? I guess not, if I read you correctly.

FBM

1  
Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:39 am
@darlapig,
I used to have long-standing problems with this and initially responded the same way you did: laxatives. I didn't want to become dependent on them, though, and have seen some real horror stories about that.

Now I eat 1 regular-sized apple for breakfast every day, or 1/2 of one of those really large ones. Things have become more regular. It also helps that I started exercising more. Not sure which is the more helpful, but the combination works for me. Good luck, and please consider seeing a doctor if you don't get some relief in a reasonable amount of time.