What is Wrong with McD's USA?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 07:02 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
If I order a Big Mac and fries I have at best a 30% chance that the meal will be made right no matter how long I am made to wait for it.

amazing that the American and Canadian McD's are such different experiences

Why, the company has always run markets differently, to include having different managers and a different menu. As Target found out when in Canada one must run a Canadian operation, not try to impose a US operation.

Really Beth, you are usually smarter than this post of yours. You might want to restrain your snark until you have enough information to know what you are talking about.

Here is a start for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_Canada
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quarterly results Thursday before the bell. The Street is looking for some proof that Management has started to turn this ship around. If they dont get it there will be lots of blood.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 09:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Why, the company has always run markets differently, to include having different managers and a different menu. As Target found out when in Canada one must run a Canadian operation, not try to impose a US operation.

It took Mickey Ds almost two decades to realise Australians like real beef, and lots of salad on a burger. Their Grand Angus burgers resulted in huge sales initially, then to attempt to get the sugar levels down, they started using aspartame in the buns and sauces.

Lost all that ground they gained. Aussies aren't into artificial anything.

And really, what's all that sugar doing in a savoury product to begin with?

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:16 am
Quote:
Some new data from Foursquare points to what might happen as customers get used to all-day breakfast.

According to their data, traffic at McDonald's spiked 9% during the roll-out of all-day breakfast, but by week two this had slowed down to only about a 1% increase. Foursquare said the additional traffic seemed pretty uniform throughout the day, with no particular daypart attracting more customers. "Our speculation is that all-day breakfast isn't attracting new people to McDonald's, and it also isn't making people shift when they go to McDonalds...they are just ordering differently," Foursquare's COO wrote in a blog.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13331412/2/why-all-day-breakfast-won-t-save-mcdonald-s.html

This would be horrible if true. We will not know how it is going till next quarters numbers.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
domestic same-store sales rose 0.9%, triple expectations

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13334072/1/mcdonald-s-turnaround-gains-steam-as-u-s-sales-finally-rebound.html

Significantly less than inflation so US operations are still shrinking, but buyers drove the stock up 8% today thinking that they see the beginnings of a turn around.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
So I looked around....there is almost nothing in the data to warrant optimism on the company but Steve Easterbrook is saying all the right things and he has done a turn around on a smaller scale before so he is getting the benefit of the doubt on the Street. However, from where I sit I dont see a vision for where to go, and relations with franchises continue to deteriorate. Easterbrooks answer is "But the marketers say that the little people think more highly of us!" but that will not work for more than another 6 months. He needs numbers to go his way, and he needs to convince people that he has a plan that meshes with reality. So far he does not have either, he is flying on wishful thinking.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 04:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
all-day breakfast has only been in place for a couple weeks, and Wall Street is eager to know how it's impacting the fast food giant's sales. But the Golden Arches isn't willing to shed much light on its performance—at least, not yet.

"Totally understand the interest, but it's just too early," said CEO Steve Easterbrook on the company's earnings call.
Earlier in the day, the chain delivered stronger-than-forecast results that topped estimates. It also snapped a streak of declines in domestic same-store sales, sending shares to record levels. That period did not include the nationwide all-day breakfast debut, a much-touted initiative for the chain's turnaround efforts.

Read More McDonald's hits record high after earnings beat
Easterbrook provided relatively few details on all-day breakfast's performance so far – despite multiple analyst questions about it on the call.

He stressed the support for it among the operator community.

"The enthusiasm levels from customers and teams in restaurants are high. It's been a successful rollout," he said, adding that it has been smoother operationally than "people had feared."

With the initiative is still in its infancy nationwide, Easterbrook said it's too "early days" to get a real read on sales though the chain is encouraged by what it has seen so far.

"I really don't want to give too much guidance on it—not to be evasive," he said.

Anecdotally though, he said college towns are seeing a lot of activity during extended breakfast hours, adding that it has been "cultish" among students.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/22/dont-ask-mcdonalds-ceo-this-hes-not-talking.html

Not good. If there were good metrics out of the first two weeks he would have shared one or two. And "not as disastrous as some feared" is not the same as good.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 04:39 am
@hawkeye10,
I was driving today and it just came to me, I figured these motherfuckers out. Just as the pissed off franchises have been suggesting these guys are literally throwing everything at the wall. They are scared shitless. If three people in the room think it might work it gets a test run to see what people think, see if the kitchens can do it. We will be in the news constantly so free advertising. When the franchisees come bitching we will tell them to pound sand because they have no choice, if they want asset value they need to do as they are told and do it well. so STFU and go do it. And something will work, and some things will probably be game changers for this brand in a good way. ****, we just spent a ton of money renovating the stores with a bold new modern look.

We are going to reinvent the company guys......
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:38 am
@hawkeye10,
are you by any chance a franchisee? Your concern seems kinda obsessive.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:47 am
@farmerman,
I think you might have struck a chord, Hawkeye has disclosed that his own restaurant went down the pan, and it couldn't be anything to do with his interpersonal skills, it has to be someone else's fault.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:49 am
@farmerman,
No, my restaurant plan did not work, I am retired now. I care about a lot of things, I have told that I am obsessive about a lot of things that are going on in this world, and about other things like journalism, sexual politics, trains, helicopter parenting., class, Zen. corruption, justice, democracy, truth, free speech, lets banish the worst of the stupid people to australia......surely they can take a few tens of millions more.....
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:53 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
lets banish the worst of the stupid people to australia

I don't think Australia wants you.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think you might have struck a chord, Hawkeye has disclosed that his own restaurant went down the pan, and it couldn't be anything to do with his interpersonal skills, it has to be someone else's fault.

At least I had the sack to ante up. What have you got in that sad little life of yours?

It did not fail because of my interpersonal skills, a bunch of the employees are coming to a halloween party at my house next week. I am going to have an awesome menu, and much drink will be had and much fin will be had. I am revered by many because I was always honest, I was always fair, I gave people who deserved it a second chance, I tried to hire women and a mixed race, I am cool with what ever people do in their lives so far as they show up on time most days and ready to work their ass off, I get rid of dead wood the second that I figure out they are dead wood and to the best of my ability I let the team decide who to hire and fire. And I paid well, which is a tiny part of the reason I am now close.

So take your opinion and go **** yourself. Your are one stupid ************. And always a prick. Who beat you when you were a boy, enquiring minds would like to know.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:59 am
@izzythepush,
i would love to be banished to Australia

New Zealand would be even better
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:06 am
@hawkeye10,
You were revered were you? There is no end to your delusion.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:11 am
@djjd62,
deep fried moa, mmmmmm
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You were revered were you? There is no end to your delusion.

Keep telling yourself that, and that maybe the nightmare of having a guy around who can call you on your **** will go away before you have no choice but to admit the truth.

Right?
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe id cut the moa into little chunks and friasee it and serve in a chili sauce over rice. Thatd be just fine. McMoa (NZ Mickee dee's need a bit more than their "fried surf clam ) as homie food.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:24 am
@farmerman,
Ya lost me dude. I hope life is good for you though, I cant see where you have told us what is going on with you these days.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:27 am
@hawkeye10,
You're not a nightmare, you're a joke. A mix of arrogance and ignorance so strong that it's just impossible not to take the piss.

You've over egged the pudding, as always. If you had said you were liked or even loved as a boss, people might have swallowed it. But revered? That's a term usually restricted to religious icons, and when you claimed it for yourself the whole house of cards came tumbling down.

If you stop taking yourself so very seriously, other people might think you've actually got something worthwhile to say, until then you'll remain the butt of jokes.

(That's actually a good bit of advice.)