What is Wrong with McD's USA?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Trouble with McD's is that they try to be unique when they should give people what they want,
They try to be everything to everyone, which is the second most common complaint franchisees have with corporate. #1 is too many menu items, which is a very connected problem but not the same thing.

BTW: it just occurs to me a probable major cause for sales tanking in the last few years....the franchisee/corporate relationship has been going South rather continuously since "Made For You"......I wonder this: even if corporate had the notion to impose standards (and remember these are basic fast food standard... the stuff that Chick-fil-A does and McD's does not), they probably dont have the political capital to do it. Corporate for years has been one more major problem that pisses the franchise owners off from open revolt, which will probably case the Wall Street sharks to try their best to eat and then dismember McD's Corporation. And not give a **** about the brand. Corporate is like the parent who cant do anything with their kids, because the kids dont respect or fear them. And lets be clear, Many if not most of the stakeholders no longer respect Oak Brook.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Your ideas about when to expand maybe from your experience but Ive found that most franchises overexpand without really testing the waters so its like natural selection.
If they are good those who are handing out franchises (OK, selling) make sure that the location is right, and the franchise owner is right. then they keep checking to make sure they are doing things right. Some open as many as they can as fast as they can, and then do it poorly, and then usually fail completely or need to shrink big time. Something has gone wrong big time at McD's re this, I argue that it is not doing the inspections and demanding that good standards be met.

BTW Farmerman, what major retail corporation succeeds big time nationally by letting their stores do whatever they want? I cant think of a one. One that did it for a short time was Romano's Macaroni Grill, they wanted chef owners, one per store, and they wanted that chef to supply 20% of the menu every day. with only loose guidance coming from corporate. I loved the one we had in South Tuscon. But it did not work for long, it all broke down after they starting trying to go national. It has been through a bunch of owners, in fact was just sold for almost nothing by Ignite , they who paid $55 million 2/13 and sold it for $8 million 4/15. It is trash, though for the moment they still have 200 stores open.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 01:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
McDonald's hotly anticipated turnaround plan went over like a limp fry on Monday. (Tweet this.)
"Based on this presentation, I'd defy anyone to figure out what they want the brand to be when it grows up," said Larry Light, former McDonald's chief marketing officer and current CEO of marketing consultancy firm Arcature, in a phone interview.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102645163

Exactly
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 01:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Year to date, McDonald’s U.S. same-store sales are down 2.5 percent, and its systemwide sales are down 1.6 percent. The 2.5 percent is on top of a 1.3 percent decrease at this time last year, meaning McDonald’s U.S. same-store sales are down 3.5 percent on a two-year basis.

http://nrn.com/same-store-sales/mcdonald-s-us-same-store-sales-fall-23-april

Last two years holding steady was +2.3%. They are -3.8%, and the deterioration is accelerating.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
McDonald's is making a number of changes to its menus. According to the Wall Street Journal, as part of its massive turn around plan to save itself from financial ruin, the chain will reduce the number of items available on its drive-thru menus. In a webcast meeting with franchisees on Monday, executives of the fast food restaurant said that McDonald's "intends to display only the top-selling drive-through items on outside menu boards in an effort to speed up orders and improve service."

http://www.eater.com/2015/5/12/8593437/mcdonalds-limits-drive-thru-menu

Another really stupid move from OakBrook....one, this pisses people off and two, if you dont want to sell items enough to put them on the menu then why are you selling them at all. I think the real issue is that given new menu laws (which are ridiculous) the drive up menu is causing information overload, and the set up was going to require another large investment. But the bottom line is that the menu is too big, as the franchisees have been saying for awhile. Even now OakBrook is mostly talking about making the problem worse, this time with breakfast all day and "create your taste".
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Steve Easterbrook, the McDonald’s CEO, delivered a video statement to the business community and McDonald’s franchisees around the world recently. The result is a classic example of how not to do it. His performance is spectacularly awful on a number of levels. CEOs and communications people everywhere should watch the video as an object lesson in bad communications.

According to Mashable, the stock dipped approximately 1% once the video came out – so this statement literally cost McDonald’s millions. But the real reason not to make videos like this is just the sheer mind-numbing awfulness of the result. If I were a McD’s franchisee, I’d be terrified for the future of the company.

OK, enough fulminating. What, specifically, was wrong with the video, and what could Easterbrook have done to make it better?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorgan/2015/05/12/what-steve-easterbrook-mcdonalds-ceo-did-wrong/

Not my field but it does support my assertion that Oak Brook sucks. They are so huge that they for decades have gotten away with being insular, but a series of missteps leading to now almost all of the stakeholders being pissed off is going to change that. It cant come too soon because these dofusses need to be run out of town. Look for investors to start buying in to the 5% level so that they can make a run at replacing the board and then after that management and then after that the brand and its foodprint. Just like they did with Darden.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 05:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
breakfast all day .

they should have started that years ago

it's probably the most consistent thing I hear - particularly on road trips

there are few enough fast food places that do breakfast - and there are a lot of people who only want breakfast from McD's - doing breakfast all day could be a big winner for McD's
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:07 pm
@ehBeth,
It has been seriously considered at several points over the last 2 decades because they know that there is a market, high profit margins on breakfast, and to boost the 1-3am segment at 24 hr stores. It has always failed to make it out of the idea phase because of cost to implement, increased food waste, and slowed down service.

Another reason why I wonder why they would do it now is that they dont think that they can get more traffic because of the increasingly crowded market, they think that they need to get customers to spend more on each trip. This is why they keep trying to sell more expensive deluxe burgers (and failing). Breakfast is a lower cost menu, the only way this works to get check averages up if more people trade up to breakfast from the $1 menu than trade down from the regular menu. Another problem is that the breakfast menu is high fat high salt, which takes it away from trying to be seen as food that wont kill us.

THe fact that management is doing a thousand new things to save itself often not well, has not been able to articulate a firm and sound turn around plan, and that what it does say is often contradictory makes me think that they dont know what they are doing.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
well there were a lot of road trip days where they got no business from us because people don't like anything but their breakfasts - they lost out on 4 - 18 meal sales just in my crew on those days

lots of people of work only like McD's breakfasts - will only take their kids for the breakfasts

simply based on anecdotal evidence I think they've already lost out a couple of decades of good all-day breakfast sales they could have made, particularly in the US where there is an actual tradition (at least on the East Coast) of places that only serve food from 5 or 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:54 pm
@ehBeth,
And Millennials more than any other known generation likes breakfast all day. Maybe this is why it gets tried now, when it did not before. But I dont see any evidence that Oak Brook has been able to convince the franchisees that the cost is worth it, and that operations can handle yet another huge new complexity.

Quote:
Breakfast sales now account for 30% of sales and nearly 50% of profits at a typical McDonald’s location. (For comparison, the sales breakdown per daypart are Lunch 24%, Afternoon 15%, Dinner 16%, and Overnights 16%.)

http://www.brandautopsy.com/2007/01/mcdonalds_insid.html

It is a little hard to know what to make of this because we dont know the hours boundries, but if this is saying that 5am to 1030 is 30% of sales and that this is breakfast food making 50% of the profits then it needs to be taken seriously.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
This is not a good time for Oak Brook to do breakfast all day BTW.

Quote:
Prices for eggs and turkey meat are rising as an outbreak of bird flu in the Midwest claims an increasing number of chickens and turkeys. Market experts say grocery stores and wholesalers are trying to stock up on eggs, but there's no need to worry about having enough turkeys for Thanksgiving.

The cost of a carton of large eggs in the Midwest has jumped nearly 17 percent to $1.39 a dozen from $1.19 since mid-April when the virus began appearing in Iowa's chicken flocks and farmers culled their flocks to contain any spread. Neighboring Nebraska reported its first case of bird flu Tuesday, affecting 1.7 million chickens at an egg farm in Dixon County.

A much bigger increase has emerged in the eggs used as ingredients in processed products such as cake mix and mayonnaise, which account for the majority of what Iowa produces. Those eggs have jumped 63 percent to $1.03 a dozen from 63 cents in the last three weeks, said Rick Brown, senior vice president of Urner Barry, a commodity market analysis firm.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/egg-turkey-meat-prices-begin-rise-bird-flu-30984264

Keep in mind that it is often taking 2 months to get the barns cleared and disinfected after an outbreak, and that hens dont start lying till they get to be about 6 months old. Egg prices might go very high, and they will stay there for awhile. We also have the new california law to deal with, where space requirements for hens drives up egg prices. If this continues to spread across the country (actually both the flu and new ethical treatment of animal laws) breakfast all day might deliver less profits than Oak Brook expects. there are limits to how much people will pay for an egg.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps/graphics/eggmap.gif
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 12:58 pm
@ehBeth,
A reviewer agrees with you the McD's breakfast is the best

https://www.yahoo.com/food/fast-food-breakfast-taste-test-who-takes-the-118819267856.html

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 01:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
there are limits to how much people will pay for an egg.

ever go to a truckers gas bar? there are always hard-boiled eggs right by the cash

it's the latest thing here. there are even packages of 2 hard-boiled eggs in the cooler section at the main pharmacy here - next to the pepsi and coke

for people doing low-carb (half of our office again), they'll pay stupid amounts for an egg

_____

McD's breakfast hours have been sliding later and later over the years. going all-day seems obvious - esp when there's always someone who's pissed off that you can't get a sausage McMuffin and hash browns when you go in the early afternoon (for your free refill tea/coffee)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 01:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
it's not so much that I think it's the best breakfast - but it's the only thing a number of my friends/colleagues will order at McD's
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 01:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
I do think their hot mustard is the best fast food mustard out there. I always ask for it when I get a sausage McMuffin. I've been trying to replicate it for years.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 03:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Moody’s Investors Service on Friday cut its rating on McDonald’s Corp. by one notch, echoing actions taken by Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services and Fitch Ratings in recent weeks.

Moody’s lowered McDonald’s senior unsecured ratings to A3 from A2. Last week, Fitch lowered its issuer default and senior unsecured debt ratings to triple-B-plus from A. That followed S&P’s downgrade of McDonald’s corporate credit rating to A-minus from A earlier this month.

The Moody’s and S&P’s ratings are both six steps below the premier triple-A rating, while Fitch’s rating is one step lower than that.

Moody’s attributed the downgrade to McDonald’s plans to accelerate shareholder returns to between $8 billion and $9 billion in 2015 through dividends and buybacks, saying it will result in significantly higher debt levels and weaker credit metrics at a time when the company is struggling to fix its business.

Fitch, for its part, expressed concerns about McDonald’s persistent sales declines, market-share losses and declining cash flow

http://www.wsj.com/articles/moodys-downgrades-mcdonalds-following-s-p-and-fitch-1431709319

I cant find any stakeholder who believes in Oakbrook, which makes me think that this board and this management team are going to be taken out by raiders.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 06:00 pm
Quote:
As you can see, McDonald’s is actually debunking the Internet myth that its burgers are made with “pink slime” on a placemat. Really, think about this: Someone is reading this placemat because they’ve presumably already bought a burger. And while they’re eating that burger, they’re going to look down and be reminded that some people have said it’s made from pink slime.

This is the equivalent of going on a date with someone and introducing yourself by saying, “Nice to meet you! I’m not a sex offender!” Even if that statement is 100% true, your date will be really freaked out that you decided to mention it at all. After all, if you have to tell me you’re not a sex offender, then there must be something about you that would make me think you are a sex offender.

I have no idea what McDonald’s is thinking with campaigns like this but they’re only going to hasten the downfall of an iconic American fast food chain.

http://bgr.com/2015/05/21/why-mcdonalds-is-doomed-picture/

Fair point. This reminds of of last holiday season when the retailers started running sales two months before Christmas, wanting I presume to be proactive. What it did was communicate to the people that they were desperate (which they were, as by then they had already figured that they had ordered too much stuff). McDonald's seems to be reactive rather than active, and to make matters even worse they are often being stupidly reactive. Trying to turn the brand into Starbucks two years ago, and now trying to make it Shake Shack is more of the same, these continual attempts to chase the next shiny thing are born from the same place that has managment constantly launching new defense efforts against its critics ( for instance putting salads on the menu and leaving them there even though almost no one buys them).
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 06:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
really dumb move by management. Reminds me of an engineering company I did some work with years ago. They had this young president who was basically clueless about the craft. He developed a slogan that"from today on, ........... company will be "client focused"

Of course, several clients wrote letters asking
'What were you before you were client focused"?
Stoopid
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
Remember last year when they were trying to show us that chicken nuggets are real food by shooting a video at the factory, as if seeing real chickens going into the assembly line was going to make us forget that chicken nuggets are liquefied chicken held together with starch? A nugget is 19% starch by weight (and also 19% fat) after a lot of flavored water is added (and you DONT want to know where the flavor comes from)......the fact that there is real chicken in there rather than tofo does not change this. True enough that the video they released shows the liquefied chicken after the cooked starch has been added, but we can read the ingredient and nutrition label, what is being done is clear. I am smarter than the average bear so maybe I am not representative, but OakBrook trying to sell me the idea that chicken nuggets are real chicken just pisses me off.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:40 pm
Quote:
McDonald's franchisees say the company's all-day breakfast launch has been a nightmare.

The new menu is slowing down service, reducing average ticket costs, and causing chaos in the kitchens, franchisees told Nomura analyst Mark Kalinowski in a new survey.

“In small stores, the problems are vast with people falling over each other and equipment jammed in everywhere,” one franchisee wrote in response to the survey.

Another wrote, “All-day breakfast is a nonstarter. We are trading customers down from regular menu to lower-priced breakfast items. Not generating new traffic.”

A third called it “erratic, distorted, disorganized direction from McDonald's,” while nearly a dozen more franchisees complained that it slowed down service and added complexity to the kitchens.

“Customers are abandoning us in droves because we are either too slow, or subpar quality,” one franchisee wrote.

Others noted that the all-day breakfast menu is confusing to some customers because it varies regionally. In some states, McDonald's is offering McMuffins on the all-day menu, while in others, only biscuit sandwiches are available.

A few complained that the launch requires extra labor, which is an added cost to franchisees who are already pressed for cash by declining sales and expensive kitchen upgrades.

“Unfortunately, with the current labor pool in our area, we are struggling to have enough people to run the shift, much less add an extra person,” one franchisee wrote.

Kalinowski interviewed 29 U.S. franchisees covering about 226 restaurants for the survey. McDonald's has more than 14,000 restaurants in the U.S.

We reached out to McDonald's for comment and will update when we hear back.

The all-day breakfast menu launched nationally on Oct. 6, following regional tests. It's still too early to tell whether it will be a success, but customers have been begging the chain for years to extend its breakfast hours.

The launch is part of McDonald's efforts to revive business following seven straight quarters of same-store sales declines.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/10/15/mcdonald_s_franchisees_say_all_day_breakfast_is_a_disaster.html

Time for a complete change of the Board, and the change of the top management.