izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
This is quite hot.
http://ninecooks.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451fa5069e20168e6439f87970c-pi
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Seriously beth, you get a can of that and you can blow your socks off each day.

I'm addicted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 02:37 pm
@izzythepush,
I've got some in the cupboard. I like it added to cheese sauce for veggies.

Not as good as Mickey D's hot mustard, or Dusseldorfer hot or Chinese hot mustard.

Now .... did you know this ?

http://albertaventure.com/2011/06/one-hot-commodity/

Quote:
Few people realize that Canada is a mustard superpower, one that accounts for about 75 to 80 per cent of total global exports of the seed.

<snip>

mustard is generally shipped out of the country to be refined, with the value added and extracted elsewhere before being resold to Albertans and Canadians alike.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 02:43 pm
@ehBeth,
You have mustard trees in Canada?

I thought it was too cold for them over there.

I once purchased a ham and mustard sandwich at work from one of those people who visit the office with a big basket full of stuff.
What I didn't realise was that it was the ballbustingly volcanic grainy mustard which someone had slurped on with a builders trowel.

I had one mouthful and somehow managed to gasp, sneeze and cry my way through the next ten minutes without dying.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 03:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I did not know that. It's always good to learn something new.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 03:11 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I like the chinese mustard that makes my ears sweat.

Excellent stuff!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 03:16 pm
@izzythepush,
you never know when someone might pull out an old Trivial Pursuit game and you'll be the ringer for the mustard question Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 04:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
And you still keep going back. Why should they bother changing if you put up with it?

I used to go about 3 times a month, and now I eat it maybe once a month and a lot of those times it is because the wife stops off on the way home from work because she wants it. We also have a family tradition of sitting around the firepit getting really wasted, and going (or at least the sober one picking up) McD's around midnight or 1. So as far as me thinking "Maybe I should go to McDonalds and get food" it only happens a few times a year now. They have lost most of my business.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 04:38 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

You might want to complain to corporate if you are seeing a continuous issue at your local store. Headquarters doesn't monitor every store every day.

My kid worked at this store about 6 years ago, it was bad then and corporate knew all about it, the problems just dont get fixed. They did however spend a few hundred thousand dollars to renovate the building, even though the old building looked great.

You have a good point about General manager pay...after you said it I looked it up, Mc Donalds actually does pay their GM's very poorly according to Glassdoor. I did not know this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 04:44 pm
@ehBeth,
wasabi, now dats some hot **** and its a nice peaceful green too.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
waving fields of mustard in ALberta. Sometimes , on a sunny day in early mustard season, you need sunglasses from the yellow flowers
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
At some point it might cut the mustard.

I'm so sorry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:00 pm
Quote:
Looking for comprehensive change as domestic sales plummet, McDonald’s is seeking creative ideas for charitable efforts that will help the quick-service chain better connect with Millennials.

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal on Monday, McDonald’s Corp. has reached out to ad agencies and media companies looking for a “Big Idea” that will generate significant support for a charity, one that engages Millennials by speaking directly to their philanthropic priorities and leverages their behaviors and habits.

McDonald’s also wants to improve perceptions of the brand as a “good corporate citizen,” the report said, citing a request for proposals from the Oak Brook, Ill.-based company.

That’s because Millennials, it seems, love a good cause. What has been called “conscious capitalism” has become a key aspect in reaching the 20- to 30-year olds that have for years been showing a preference for more contemporary fast-casual brands — many of which have a loud-and-clear message about values embedded in their brand DNA.

http://nrn.com/advertising/restaurant-marketing-watch-mcdonald-s-seeks-new-charity-engage-millennials

Call me crazy, but I would be spending my time trying to fix the product rather than trying to create buzz. Any attempt to get millennials with buzz will be crippled by the conventional wisdom the the corporation is exploitive of labor. Any buzz creation needs to wait till the machines are invented that will eliminate at least 25% of the labor, and then paying the rest a living wage. Till then this company needs to work on fixing the food and the service.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Call me crazy, but I would be spending my time trying to fix the product rather than trying to create buzz. Any attempt to get millennials with buzz will be crippled by the conventional wisdom the the corporation is exploitive of labor. Any buzz creation needs to wait till the machines are invented that will eliminate at least 25% of the labor, and then paying the rest a living wage. Till then this company needs to work on fixing the food and the service.

There's more a product than just how it tastes. Packaging and presentation have always been part of the product, which, they tell me, is why I prefer Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi, although suppoedly one cannot tell the difference in a blind taste test. And now, the ethics of production are also part of the product.

To become "ethical", McDonalds does not have to pay food service workers any more than minimum wage. As a start, they could buy food from growers who simply *pay minimum wage* to their guest-worker employees. They could use the meat of more humanely treated cows. And ultimately they don't have to lead the way in ethical production; they just have to try and keep up.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:35 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
As a start, they could buy food from growers who simply *pay minimum wage* to their guest-worker employees. They could use the meat of more humanely treated cows. And ultimately they don't have to lead the way in ethical production; they just have to try and keep up.

That would cost serious money. If you can solve the problem by giving $1 to a charity and getting a $1 lower tax bill then the program costs nothing. The company paid $1.2 in income taxes last year, so there is lots of room to run a charity program for no cost.

I am disputing the entire concept of generating positive corporate consciousness buzz while they are paying people so little.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
That would cost serious money.

Not really. According to a segment I saw recently on Bill Maher's show, Mexican agricultural workers make a penny a pound for picking tomatoes. There is a movement underway to double their wages, passing the extra cost of one cent per pound on to consumers, who are glad to pay that trivial amount.

And McDonalds has already taken steps to improve working conditions for Mexican farmhands:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/business/in-florida-tomato-fields-a-penny-buys-progress.html?_r=0

An excerpt:
Quote:
those abusive practices have all but disappeared, said Ms. Velasquez, an immigrant from Mexico. She and many labor experts credit a tenacious group of tomato workers, who in recent years forged partnerships with giant restaurant companies like McDonald’s and Yum Brands (owner of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC) to improve conditions in the fields.

Grass-fed cows would be somewhat more expensive...
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Dude, if you want better food, then do not go to McDees..........

Splurge, and try Wendy's...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:12 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Grass-fed cows would be somewhat more expensive...
and not at tasty, it is difficult to get grass fed only cows fat enough to make a decent tasting burger. Five guys for example uses 80/20, but with grass feed even 85/15 is difficult to get to consistently.

McD's already has quality problems, why should they pay more for poorer tasting ground beef?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:20 pm
Quote:
The McDonald's Deluxe line was a series of sandwiches introduced in the mid-1990s and marketed by McDonald's with the intent of capturing the adult fast food consumer market, presented as a more sophisticated burger for an adult palate.[1] It failed to catch on and is now is considered one of the most expensive flops of all time.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_Deluxe_line

Given the expensive failure to try to sell low flavor 91/9 burger patties hopefully management is not stupid enough to give this idea another go. I tried it once, it was nasty.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Edit: McD's paid $1.2 billion in us fed income tax. They paid other kinds of taxes as well.

Considering all of the corporations that currently pay no income taxes it is interesting that this company has become known as a poor corporate citzen.

I notice in todays news a rumour that a raider is thinking about buying in, pushing to lower the tax burden, and then presumably walking away with a bunch of profits as more money will flow to investors rather than the US treasury.
0 Replies