What is Wrong with McD's USA?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 07:38 am
@Builder,
That is mostly a bad rap, the milk shakes and sauces are concoctions from the food chemists, and maybe the nuggets too, but the rest is regular food.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 08:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The results have been mixed at best so far, but it's hard to view the fast food industry's moves as anything more than flattery. At the very least, McDonald's willingness to forgo its core business to mimic the likes of Shake Shack points to a future in which the quick service food industry looks a lot more like Chipotle and a lot less like, well, McDonald's.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/02/the-chipotle-effect-why-america-is-obsessed-with-fast-casual-food/?hpid=z5

There are a lot of uncomfortable parallels between McD's and JCP. I find it very interesting the In-N-Out Burger does nothing to move towards fast casual and they are still doing great. What would have happened if McD's never went to "made for you" and instead used better ingredients?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:23 pm
Quote:
But the big winner on Sunday may have been McDonald’s.

Marketing analytics firm Ace Metrix said on Monday McDonald’s one-minute “Pay with Lovin’” Super Bowl ad won the top score based on surveys of viewer reaction.

The commercial’s Ace Score was 706, one of the highest ever for a Super Bowl ad, and 21 percent above the category norm for quick-service restaurants, Ace Metrix said. Budweiser, Coca-Cola and Snickers tied for the No. 2 spot.

“An Ace Score over 700 is about as common as a perfect game in Major League Baseball: 0.06 percent of all ads over the past five years have scored above 700,” Peter Daboll, Ace Metrix’s CEO, said in a statement. “McDonald’s has achieved Super Bowl gold, surprising and delighting consumers and changing perceptions about the fast-food giant.”

According to AdAge, McDonald’s commercial also won the top spot in Twitter polls.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based quick-service operator’s social media team was busy tweeting during the game — but not with its own ads.

Throughout the Super Bowl, McDonald’s encouraged cross-brand lovin’ by urging followers to retweet to earn prizes related to the commercials of other brands.

http://nrn.com/social-media/restaurant-marketing-watch-restaurants-help-make-social-media-history-during-super-bowl

About all I can think is that I dont want to be in a "pay it with love" position, and how I dont think this is good for the company. But a marketing win is still a marketing win, nobody can take that away from McD's.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:46 pm
Quote:
Much of McDonald’s strategy appears to be aimed at responding to the threat those chains pose. The company’s biggest strategy at the moment is Create Your Taste, a platform that will enable dine-in consumers to make customized burgers and chicken sandwiches. McDonald’s aims to roll out the platform in 2,000 restaurants this year.

Yet McDonald’s problem is more complex than losing customers to fast casual. McDonald’s customers are different from those who frequent Chipotle or Shake Shack.

McDonald’s same-store sales were 620 basis points lower than quick-service burger competitors in the third quarter of last year. If Shake Shack and Chipotle are taking business from McDonald’s, why are they not taking business from Burger King and Sonic?

McDonald’s is largely about convenience and value, and it has long struggled to sell higher priced menu items. Premium items have come and gone, like the Arch Deluxe and more recently the Angus burger line.

But the biggest failure under Thompson’s reign was Mighty Wings, itself a premium product. In November, Fortune detailed the 2013 Mighty Wings failure, noting that 10 million pounds of chicken wings went unsold, despite early tests that drew rave reviews — much like Create Your Taste is right now.

Unsurprisingly, franchisees and analysts appear to be pushing McDonald’s in the other direction. As Nation’s Restaurant News noted yesterday, many analysts say McDonald’s should aggressively cut items from its menu and focus on convenience, speed and value. One went so far as to say he wouldn’t be surprised if Easterbrook ended the Create Your Taste plan.

http://nrn.com/finance/restaurant-finance-watch-which-path-should-mcdonalds-take

the wing failure was not as big as overloading the menu, letting food and service quality drop very fast and very deep, not as big as throwing billions of dollars at taking the brand upscale and then not being able to sell upscale food or even keep over all sales going up.

But the failure of the wing program was seismic. It was so colossal, so expensive, so unexpected. The company spent over a year collecting wings, often at a premium because they are in demand by wing places and production has had many ongoing issues. And then they could not sell them. On the weeks after there was a lot of head scratching. I think in the final analysis people dont want to have McDonalds sell them wings, they go elsewhere when they want wings, dont need another place, and where is the beer and what makes anyone think that McD's can do wings correctly anyways? I think there is still a lot of debate going on about what exactly happened. But at the end of the day another Thompson thing blew up embarrassingly and expensively.

There is a chance that after the wing failure there is no way Thompson could stay. This company has always been hard to look into because they are so big and cloistered, till we get some tell all book we cant claim to know for sure.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 02:18 am
Quote:
Sick of Sriracha? Need a new sauce to squirt on everything? You're in luck: According to the Independent, McDonald's is finally selling bottles of its super secret, questionably orange, Big Mac Special Sauce. Yes, now you can make everything taste like hangovers and broken childhood memories. Until now, the only way customers could get their hands on the sauce was to eat copious amounts of Big Macs, or attempt to make one of the thousands of copycat recipes.

Only 200 500ml bottles are being produced and the first is currently up for grabs on eBay. If you have nearly $18,000 to blow that is. Currently, the bid is at $23,000 AUD ($18,056 USD) with eight days left to go, and all proceeds will go to charity. The description on eBay might just sell you on the hefty price tag: It promises that the sauce will make everything taste better — including Hungarian Goulash and "your boyfriend's gross lasagne" — because it will all just taste like a Big Mac. Plus with 500ml to experiment with "you'll have enough to impress your friends at dinner parties, cheat your way to cooking show fame, and get elected as Prime Minister!"

If you miss your chance on eBay (or don't want to drop thousands of dollars) and can get to Australia, Metro writes that McDonald's will sell 600 25ml tubs of the sauce in locations around the country for just 50 cents ($.39 USD). The Independent notes that lines will probably be around the block. Perhaps if McDonald's sold the sauce full time, it could save the struggling chain from financial ruin.

http://www.eater.com/2015/2/2/7964135/mcdonalds-australia-big-mac-special-sauce-ebay-18000

Looking as desperate for attention as a $20 whore is clearly not a dealbreaker for McD's these days.
Builder

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 03:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That is mostly a bad rap, the milk shakes and sauces are concoctions from the food chemists, and maybe the nuggets too, but the rest is regular food.

Is that why maccas told its employees to not eat their products? Even the fries are poison.
Builder

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 03:38 am
@hawkeye10,
After spending over a year in Iceland’s National Museum, the last McDonalds meal sold in the country will now be going on display at the Bus Hostel in Reykjavik. The world-famous fast food chain shut down its Iceland locations in 2009, and even after all this time the last meal sold in the country has still not become rotten or moldy.

After the economic collapse, McDonalds failed to keep customers coming back in Iceland, and the company was forced to close their doors in the country. The final day that McDonalds was open in Iceland was October 31, 2009, and on that day a man named Hjortur Smarason purchased a meal as a souvenir. Smarason had no intention on actually eating it but wanted to hang onto it out of curiosity, and because he saw it as a piece of history.

http://cdn9.trueactivist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/last-mcdonalds.jpg

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/iceland-decided-to-do-this-with-the-last-mcdonalds-meal-ever-sold/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:25 pm
Quote:
Consumers talked about McDonald’s’ “Pay with Lovin’” promotion more than any other television ad that aired during the Super Bowl, on Feb. 1, but the campaign doesn’t appear to have positively impacted brand perception, according to survey by market research firm YouGov BrandIndex.

http://nrn.com/advertising/survey-mcdonald-s-campaign-helps-boost-word-mouth

So in other words a lot of people were probably talking about how this place sucks now and that the owners are desperate. What was the last thing these people did right? It has been so long it is hard to remember.

Quote:
On Super Bowl Sunday, 36 percent of adults said they would consider making a purchase at McDonald’s. Eleven days after the ad and its corresponding social media campaign began, that number rose to 39 percent.

great, but when you drive such a huge iconic brand as McD's and get told that 60% of american adults would not even consider sampling your product you had better know that you are in deep trouble.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:20 pm
I am pretty sure that McD's did not get the response they expected for announcing a raise of the min wag for about 70,000 positions. The response was for the most part; Not. Good. Enough.

Considering that this for years has been the majority response to trying to make the food healthier, to giving healthier choices, they should not have been surprised.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
http://politicalblindspot.com/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-for-human-consumption/

In the United States, however, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Most disturbing of all is the horrifying fact that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

After reading this in 2013, I won't eat them.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:40 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Most disturbing of all is the horrifying fact that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

The war against the microbes is not always nice, but it is necessary.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
dont ever ask whats in vanilla extract.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:45 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
In our restaurants, we finish frying with an oil blend that contains canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, as well as citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane and TBHQ.

Yep
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 10:59 am
So today the new ceo made it clear that he thinks that the food is the problem, the the company needs to become a better burger place. Maybe, but my major problem with mcdonalds over the last 15 years has been service and consistency, two things that made the brand great to begin with but that they lost. I need to read more, but so far I have not seen were he talked about that.

I note with interest that they want to ditch a lot of the corporate owned stores. That is not going to inspire confidence.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 06:49 pm
Quote:
On top of all that, Easterbrook barely mentioned what McDonald’s plans to do to address possibly its biggest challenge: customer’s worsening perception of its food. On the call with investors, he talked about making “big moves” and having “wonderful opportunities” with personalizing and customizing food, but few new details on when or how that would happen. That might explain why Wall Street wasn’t sold—shares of McDonald’s closed down 1.7 percent on Monday, to $96.13. On the other hand, Easterbrook seemed quite earnest when he told investors, repeatedly, that he intends to carefully reassess all the company’s decisions, and that he recognizes it’s time for a change. “The message is clear. We’re not on our game,” Easterbrook said in a videotaped statement. “The numbers don’t lie.”

These incompetent mother fuckers need to be taken out. When the brand runs into trouble after 70 years of great success (or what ever it is) is no time to try to reinvent the brand even as it is clear that the brand long ago stopped being great at what made them great.

Quote:
To get its business back on track, McDonald’s handing more control to its “incredible network of dedicated franchisees,” the company said. Over the next three years, McDonald’s plans to accelerate its refranchising—that is, turning company-owned stores into franchised ones. By the end of 2018, it plans to convert 3,500 restaurants into franchises such that 90 percent of its locations will be franchised globally (up from a current 81 percent). Previously, McDonald’s had planned to refranchise at least 1,500 restaurants by the end of 2016. Easterbrook has reorganized the company’s operations into four main segments: the U.S.; international lead markets (Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and the U.K.); high-growth markets (China, Italy, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, and the Netherlands); and foundational markets (about 100 different countries).
Who the **** sells low? This is no time to be trying to sell the stores to franchisors, you do it when the brand is healthy, when people believe in the brand.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/05/04/mcdonald_s_turnaround_plan_lots_more_franchises.html
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 08:09 am
@hawkeye10,
Im on the road and tried to get som breakfast yesterday. I stopped at a McD's off Rt 80 and , since it as after10:30 AM, they quit serving breakfast. SO I left nd went to DINER THAT SERVES BREAKFAST ALL FUCKIN DAY!!.

Mc D's, maybe f you served breakfst all day, you would be open to an entire new clentele (people who cannot generally stomach your greaseburgers but still would enjoy an egg mcmuffin).
Also, your coffee still ucks.
BUT, as for coffee, 99% of restaurants dont give one thought to their cofee. It appears to me that, in a fine restaurant, when the last thing you "enjoy" before leaving the plce, is a cup of decent coffee, why must the coffee sit for enough time to oxidize and form toxicants that make it bitter?

I feel that coffee that is

1in any way boiled
2 Is drip brewed through a filter and infused woth ultra boiling water

will alays suck

Fresh brewed espresso or Americanos are a welcome tste to accompany a dessert like an apple pie and cheese or sticky puddings.

Im sitting here at a diner in N pa and Im across from a McD's, they are very busy, but , as I see, McD's has pretty much, closed down their "McCAfe" sideline. Whenever a latte comes out of a mix an a whipping machine, it cant be too good, no matter how chap they sell it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:26 am
@farmerman,
I noticed a day or so ago some headline to the effect "nobody eats at McD's anymore"......they have still 50% of the market share for fast food burger joints. They also are pushing about $6.5 billion a year back to the shareholders.

They have problems, but they are not dead yet.

BTW: I think breakfast all day is a bad idea. They need to cut the menu, not massively increase it. Speed and consistency is what made them great, they have completely lost it, and they need to get them back. I dont avoid McD's because I cant get a what I can get down the street at five guys, I avoid it because the food is not as good as it was 20 years ago. If I could get the old big mac, at a reasonable price, and good fries, I would be there several times a month.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 01:28 pm
Quote:
The problem, Kalinowski said, comes not from a lack of catering to millennials, or trying to compete with the likes of “modern” fast-food chains like Chipotle (CMG), New York-based Shake Shack (SHAK), or Panera Bread (PNRA), it comes from not understanding its own competition. He said fast-casual is a category in which consumers don’t want to spend a lot of money, but if they do, they’re willing to spend it on better-for-you food that can't be found at most traditional fast-food chains.

And it’s that way of thinking that’s helping damage the McDonald’s brand.

But it’s not the biggest threat, according to Kalinowski.

“It’s clearly Chick-fil-A,” he said. “Ten years ago, it was the nineteenth-biggest chain in America. Today it’s the eighth biggest, and it’ll end the decade as the fourth biggest,” he said. “It’s traditional fast food done right. They focus on chicken.”

Although McDonald’s seems to be known for its juicy hamburgers, and it’s often referred to as a burger chain, Kalinowski said it actually sells more chicken than beef.

“There’s so much growth for [Chick-fil-A] for decades to come: There are less than 2,000 of them while McDonald’s is getting close to 16,000 restaurants in the U.S.,” he explained. “That’s the bigger threat because what Chick-fil-A offers is much closer to McDonald’s business.”

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/05/05/biggest-mcdonalds-challenge-wall-street-isnt-talking-about/

Chick-fil-A is not "fast food done right" because they serve chicken, In/Out Burger is also fast food done right and they serve only beef........ Chick-fil-A is doing well because they are one of the best managed foodSERVICE companies around. The stores are clean, the food is fast, the food is consistent, the service is competent and friendly, and they are perceived to sell healthier for you food....all things that McD's has not done this century, and almost none of these deficiencies were mentioned by Easterbook yesterday.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 01:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
The stock is -1.6% since the announcement of the plan, clearly WallStreet did not hear good news. The Selling of the stores was pure candy for WallStreet, even that was not enough.
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 02:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ill comment on soma your stuff when I get home tomorrow or Thurs. Just for now though, we disagree about brekfst all day. McD's serves a breakfast till 10:30 then "switches over"
(Really, all they have to do is bring up the lunch boxes, the food is all done in the same manner (its mostly nuked and timed radiant ovens).
MacDs has a gap in their "morning crod". Today when I was across from a McD's, around 11, there was a dullness in the parking lot, not many cars (BREAKFAST WAS OVER and lunch wasnt really kicking on yet)

Trouble with McD's is that they try to be unique when they should give people what they want, .
Theyve tried many menu options to no avail and the good stuff, like McRib sammiches, they only have for brief periods.
Many Mcds in Main serve up lobster rolls (I think these are franchisees cause when the main corp HQ tried to make em the lobster rolls were pitiful)
The franchisees served up a decent down east lobster roll packed with lobster and mayo (THATS ALL) and priced them accordingly
The HQ run stores tried to sell a "cheapened version" of a lobster roll and they were quickly avoided by everyone(In fact, the Quoddy Tides had an article about the pitiful "Lobster flavored roll" that had more lettuce than lobster .
A real lobster roll has NO lettuce.

The franchisees that sell lobster rolls do a good business and I always wonder whether the HQ guys ever "got it"

Your ideas about when to expand maybe from your experience but Ive found that most franchises overexpand without really testing the waters so its like natural selection. Five Guys first started in tourist and College Areas, then they went to denser areas and picked their sites from looking at who else was there.