Footage of the Southwest in the 30s and 40s

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 05:47 pm
even me on my wee little dial-up system

you wanna see a mummified priest? i thought barrettes were weird. <sigh>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:27 pm
Definitely will need to take this computer in and have it tuned, because I can't and I know I should have enough memory.

Well, I've already seen the mummified remains once, but at the time, I didn't know the significance of Father Kino. And anyway, the town is sleepy but amazing. Very small, built on a bluff over some river, with a square and a large church. I want to see it all again. I want to stay there and poke around a little. Why not?

Barrettes weird, huh? Oh, ye of little faith!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:36 pm
It's all too catholic and idolatrous for me, piffka.

The architecture is lovely. I do appreciate the wonderfully clean lines with the occasional embellishment.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:53 pm
Mummified remains are not idolatrous. These were treated as respectfully as possible when found during an archeological dig. When they found who they'd got, they sort of stopped and put a glass dome over the entire thing. Least that's what I remember... the mummy was probably 10 feet below the level of the plaza. Quite a surprise to us when we stopped to find something cold to drink (nothing was open, it was siesta time).

Here's a website to the story:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/jtuck/jtkino.html

and here's a website with a picture of the... dome:
http://discoverseaz.com/History/Kino.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 07:30 pm
Beautiful images, littlek .. Quite haunting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 07:38 pm
whooooaaaa, did a search on Fritz Langs photography (he was a filmographer) - talk about haunting... WOW.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 07:47 pm
Imogen Cunningham, a fabulous pioneer in photography - Good stuff, thanks for dropping her name into conversation piffka!gallery
Bio
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:43 pm
k, Fritz Lang was a giant among Movie Directors, and one of the prime movers of "Film Noir". He also directed Metropolis in 1926, accepted by most to be the first "Serious" Science Fiction movie, and one that stands up well over 75 years after its making.

Georgia Okeefe, Ansel Adams, Cunningham, Bourke-White, Stieglitz, Weston ... whole bunch of other really interesting Art/Art Photography folks all pretty much "Hung Out Together", and there is a fascinating, subtle commonality to their work, without detracting in the least from their individual, unique approaches to and masteries of their crafts.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:16 pm
timber -the photographers had a club named f/64: " 'f/64' was chosen because the members of the group were dedicated to the honest, sharply defined image, and the lens opening, f/64, provides the ultimate in resolution and depth of field. Adams felt that the membership should be limited to 'those workers who are striving to define photography as an art form by a simple and direct presentation through purely photographic methods.' " There was a common thread among them.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:19 pm
I'm quite familiar with The f/64 group, k, that's what I was refering to. In fact, I am a practioner of The Zone System of Photography.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:21 pm
soooo... where's your A2K album?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:31 pm
Does anyone else find it odd that bothe Imogen Cunningham and Georgia O'Keefe are best known for their flower/plant images? When you do google searches those come up most often as the prints offered for sale and in the mini-galleries. I found this series at the Imogen Cunningham Trust site - all portraits, all of men: Imogen Portraits
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:18 pm
littlek wrote:
soooo... where's your A2K album?

Stuck with a bunch of other important stuff in the "Gotta get to that sometime soon" pile.

timber
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 04:55 am
littlek

Georgia deserves to be famous for her beautiful flower paintings. They are just RAVISHING!!
But I really like her New Mexico paintings, too.
I can't say much about Imogen Cunningham's work, because I don't know much about her work. iS SHE A PARTICULAR FAVOURITE OF YOURS?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:58 pm
MsOlga - Imogen is a new artist to me. I have a couple links above if you're interested in checking out her photography. I think I'm more interested in the whole pioneer class of photographers than any one of them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:05 pm
littlek

Yes, please! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:12 pm
MsOlga - the links are called "gallery" and "Bio" about half way down on page #3 of this thread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:18 pm
Thanks, littlek
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:20 pm
Did you see? She has some cala lily photos that look like they could be the basis of an O'Keefe painting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:24 pm
littlek

Yes, I saw .. & immediately thought of Georgia!
0 Replies