I almost put this one into Philosophy and Debate

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:24 am
Here's some good insights into why the polarization in politics/religion grows.
Once they have formed an affiliation, people bend their philosophies
and their perceptions of reality so theybecome more and more aligned
with members of their political tribe.
Circling the Wagons

June 5, 2004
By DAVID BROOKS

Over the next few months, I hope to write a fair bit about
the dominant feature of our political life: polarization. I
hope to figure out how deeply split the nation is, and what
exactly it is we are fighting about - questions that leave
me, at present, confused.

Today's topic is what it means to be a partisan, because
partisanship is the building block of polarization.

In a perfectly rational world, citizens would figure out
which parties best represent their interests and their
values, and they would provisionally attach themselves to
those parties. If their situations changed or their
interests changed, then their party affiliations would
change.

But that is not how things work in real life. As Donald
Green, Bradley Palmquist and Eric Schickler argue in their
book, "Partisan Hearts and Minds," most people either
inherit their party affiliations from their parents, or
they form an attachment to one party or another early in
adulthood. Few people switch parties once they hit middle
age. Even major historic events like the world wars and the
Watergate scandal do not cause large numbers of people to
switch.

Moreover, Green, Palmquist and Schickler continue, people
do not choose parties by comparing platforms and then
figuring out where the nation's interests lie. Drawing on a
vast range of data, these political scientists argue that
party attachment is more like attachment to a religious
denomination or a social club. People have stereotypes in
their heads about what Democrats are like and what
Republicans are like, and they gravitate toward the party
made up of people like themselves.

Once they have formed an affiliation, people bend their
philosophies and their perceptions of reality so they
become more and more aligned with members of their
political tribe.

Paul Goren of Arizona State University has used survey data
to track the same voters over time. Under the classic
model, you'd expect to find that people who valued equal
opportunity would become Democrats and that people who
valued limited government would become Republicans.

In fact, you're more likely to find that people become
Democrats first, then place increasing value on equal
opportunity, or they become Republicans first, then place
increasing value on limited government. Party affiliation
often shapes values, not the other way around.

Party affiliation even shapes people's perceptions of
reality. In 1960, Angus Campbell and others published a
classic text, "The American Voter," in which they argued
that partisanship serves as a filter. A partisan filters
out facts that are inconsistent with the party's approved
worldview and exaggerates facts that confirm it.

That observation has been criticized by some political
scientists, who see voters as reasonably rational. But many
political scientists are coming back to Campbell's
conclusion: people's perceptions are blatantly biased by
partisanship.

For example, the Princeton political scientist Larry
Bartels has pointed to survey data collected after the
Reagan and Clinton presidencies. In 1988, voters were asked
if they thought the nation's inflation rate had fallen
during the Reagan presidency.

In fact, it did. The inflation rate fell from 13.5 percent
to 4.1 percent. But only 8 percent of strong Democrats said
the rate had fallen. Fifty percent of partisan Democrats
believed that inflation had risen under Reagan. Strong
Republicans had a much sunnier and more accurate impression
of economic trends. Forty-seven percent said inflation had
declined.

Then, at the end of the Clinton presidency, voters were
asked similar questions about how the country had fared in
the previous eight years. This time, it was Republicans who
were inaccurate and negative. Democrats were much more
positive. Bartels concludes that partisan loyalties have a
pervasive influence on how people see the world. They
reinforce and exaggerate differences of opinion between
Republicans and Democrats.

The overall impression one gets from these political
scientists is that politics is a tribal business. Americans
congregate into rival political communities, then embrace
one-sided attitudes and perceptions. That suggests that
political polarization is the result of deep and
self-reinforcing psychological and social forces.

This theory doesn't explain how the country moves through
cycles of greater and lesser polarization. Still, I have to
say, depressingly, this picture of tribal and subrational
partisanship does accord with the reality we see around us
every day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/05/opinion/05BROO.html?ex=1087438219&ei=1&en=e79d4b876da2f3d2

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
C.I. When I taught, we held mock elections at our school, and students emulated the candidates. Quite frankly, I was surprised at how well informed the students were when they were given the role of potential president elect. I always encouraged the kids to become a candidate in direct opposition to what their parents were.

In Virginia at that time, one did not have to register their party. Don't know if that's a plus or a minus, now.

The problem is, that I can't ascertain what anyone really stands for, so I must vote the way that I FEEL about current situations.

At the present, it appears to me that we're looking at the lesser of two evils.

The article made some good points about polarization, but I don't feel that it's anything new, really. I believe that when voters get confused, they vote the party, though.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:10 pm
An excerpt from the above article:

Party affiliation even shapes people's perceptions of
reality. In 1960, Angus Campbell and others published a
classic text, "The American Voter," in which they argued
that partisanship serves as a filter. A partisan filters
out facts that are inconsistent with the party's approved
worldview and exaggerates facts that confirm it.

Happens on this forum all the time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:58 pm
Letty, I think you're more aware of these kinds of dynamics because of your involvement with it. I do think the majority are influenced more than they would like to believe. As Perc says, we see it all the time on A2K forums in politics and religion. I thought it was interesting enough to share, and encourage discussions on this topic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
C.I. and Perception, we were just discussing the topics of interest on A2K, and the drawbacks. Join us and I will give folks there a link to this thread. The thread is called "Three Ways to Kill a Thread" and there are some keen observations.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:52 pm
Forgot the link:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26209&highlight=
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
I hate it when I'm drawn into circling wagons.

For those of us who genuinely attempt to shake off the prevailing view of our party and avoid slanting our interpretation of political views, so as not to cast aspersions on either our "party" leadership, or those sharing our views--it is a tough row. As Craven has accused me of--and I think it may be true, I rarely swoop in to chastize a conservative here---even though I have wanted to. Yet, I have done so to liberals. Nobody wants to pee in their own sandbox.

Especially in an environment such as we have here. We each know the usual suspects we are supposed to agree with--and those who oppose, who may take an honest view, and run with it--making us regret the moment of truth, and making "our particular partisan group" less chummy with us.

Remember Craven's Temporary Conservative thread, wherein he "pretended" to espouse conservative opinions? He was buzzed and torpedoed by the site liberals--and bad feelings ensued.

I think the pack mentality hurts independant thought.

I was impressed with CI recently, when he started a thread about improvement of the economy. I expected liberal naysayers to come in and detract from his thread. (And,I'm sure he may have expected conservatives to arrive with "I told you so's".) I haven't checked it today.

This pack mentality and overreaching bluster was the reason I started the Prioritized, Specified List of Your Bush Complaints. I feel so many of us "get in line" or "circle our wagons" without really testing our real feelings against the facts, rather than party loyalities.

Partisan politics, in my opinion, has us ALL marching around, rather thoughtlessly sometimes, parroting rather than thinking and honestly evaluating. All things considered, I feel this partisanship bogs us all down, and makes us more malleable to the powers that be.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 02:39 pm
Letty wrote:
C.I. When I taught, we held mock elections at our school, and students emulated the candidates. Quite frankly, I was surprised at how well informed the students were when they were given the role of potential president elect. I always encouraged the kids to become a candidate in direct opposition to what their parents were.

In Virginia at that time, one did not have to register their party. Don't know if that's a plus or a minus, now.

The problem is, that I can't ascertain what anyone really stands for, so I must vote the way that I FEEL about current situations.

At the present, it appears to me that we're looking at the lesser of two evils.

The article made some good points about polarization, but I don't feel that it's anything new, really. I believe that when voters get confused, they vote the party, though.

Letty - what does "register their party" mean?????

I agree with the article - but about way more than political thought - I think we have mind-sets about everything in life, created by our experiences , through which we filter, and hence to some extent create, our reality to greater or lesser extents - (use this in therapy all the time, since interrupting the "lens" through which we view things opens up many more possibilities for people to think, act and feel differently).

The tribe metaphor is interesting, since I thtink there is a sort of drive for humans to be part of various tribes and packs - seen clearly in politics, but also in work and academe and sport (perhaps most clearly in sport for those to whom it is important!) and such.

I know my affiliation to Labor here is familial, or tribal - though I DO vote against them (but here, if the party for whom one votes does not get into power, your vote can revert back to a second or third choice - so it's kinda cheating!) as well as rational - and I broke from my familial allegiances.

I tend to be way more loyal to my party when it is not in power, and much less so when it is in, too!

American politics seems distressingly polarized at present - from an outsider viewpoint - but, I wonder if I would observe the same tropic animosity and partisanship from many Australians, if I frequented Oz message boards????? Very likely so, I think.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 02:47 pm
dlowan--

Before voting, you need to register with your precinct regarding whether you're a Dem or Republican, Green or Indy, or whatever. You know, put your cards on the table.

In some states you only have to do this at Primary--because otherwise, you can vote in the other party's Primary to skew their Primary election.

I think in some states, you have to vote straight party. Here (Georgia), you have to declare party affiliation at Primaries. But in the General, you can vote as you please.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You DO??????

Pardon me - but WHY????????

Sorry - that blows me away!!!

Edit: Oh, primaries - sorta got it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 03:51 pm
Yes.

Like a bloc of GOP voters could've voted Dean in the Dem Primaries, believing he could be ripped to shreds in the General...

Cuts down on the havoc partisans can play with the other party.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:40 pm
I can't pretend to have any study to back me up or anything but I know why I vote democractic. I simply believe in social programs, unions, separation of church and state and all the typical values that are on the democratic platform. (with the exception of one) If I didn't believe in those things I would vote republican.

Personally I don't see the complication of understanding why people vote the way they do.

I do think that in the last ten years the politics has gotten rough as though there is a national game of tug-a-war going on. It is on TV and on the internet. In my experience it is not in typical social settings. I couldn't imagine going to a social function and getting all hot and bothered about these issues and taking sides like we do here on the internet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:55 pm
revel, I was once a registered republican, because I believed that smaller government was better for all concerned. What changed my mind was the crasness shown by the party to those who are unable to take care of themselves. Their insensitivity to the handicapped and the poor was too much for my stomach; it upset me too much. All my siblings are republicans, and my younger brother is even a state legislator in California, but I changed to Independent. I would rather be in the side of humanity over money issues; but that doesn't mean we should give all poor people everything they need without them working. I believe in universal health care for all US citizens; we're the only developed country without one. I vote for the individual who most reflects my ideals, and not by party line. I voted for Clinton in 1996 and for Nader in 2000. Kucinich meets my ideal for 2004.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:04 pm
I believe what CI posted may be true for many people out here. In my case, I have voted on different sides of the fence, voting for a conservative if the climate seems too liberal - and vice versa. In my years of declining mental powers, I have opted out of the Democrat/Republican scene, because neither party represents me anymore.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:34 pm
I have noo problem "peeing in my own sandbox", as Sofia put it so evocatively. If that pisses some people off or gets me compliments from dubious quarters, so be it.

In fact, I find it exasperating how much that fear (of peeing in one's own sandbox) seems to freeze many here into only attacking the obvious, never their own (no matter how wrong) - it makes discussion maddeningly repetitive and one-dimensional. But I guess me thinking so is no surprise anymore. And like I've also already said a few times, I think its got a LOT to do with the two-party system prevailing over there. Here, with three to four prominent left-wing parties and three to four prominent right-wing parties, criticising others on your half of the field is a matter of course - thats how you draw distinctions. After all, half the field is a pretty big expanse.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
Heehee - and nobody hates the rest of the left like one part of the left!!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
I love David Brooks but I think he is stating the obvious with:

"The overall impression one gets from these political
scientists is that politics is a tribal business."

I'd like to see the numbers behind:

"Few people switch parties once they hit middle
age. Even major historic events like the world wars and the
Watergate scandal do not cause large numbers of people to
switch."

I know quite a few people who have moved from Democrat to Republican in middle age. And I know a lot of people who were prompted to do so by 9/11 - me, for instance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 09:53 pm
Finn, Your observation about the middle aged moving from democrat to republican makes sense; that's when most people have accumulated some wealth, and the republican mantra is to cut taxes. Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:07 pm
dlowan wrote:
Heehee - and nobody hates the rest of the left like one part of the left!!!!

Except for those who have left The Left for The Right.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Maybe the reason that people don't put down those that are on their side is because it would slow down any momentum or chance of momentum for change or that it would cause change if you like the current policies that are in place.

In these last several years it seems that politics and events are driven along with the media and those talking in the media. Polls are taken all the time and politicians pay attention to the moods of voting public.

I know for me who I side or agree with is not usually personal.

CI, that is interesting, I have not heard of too many cases of right switching to left.

I think most people even in the left don't want to just give poor people a free ride, that is not good for them or for the country. Which is why there was an effort to fix that under Clinton.

However there is a fundamental difference in idealogy that separates this country and it has always been like that. I think what's new is the constant talking about it which causes people to be really focused on it. I personally see it as a good thing even if it does cause division. It is better than just ignoring our government and letting whatever happens happen without caring.

The right were first ones to start this new wave of talking about the current policies and administration so much under Clinton and now the left has joined in about Bush. If one party starts saying a bunch of stuff the other side is going to dispute it or put their side in and so it causes polarization. I don't think it is that hard to understand, but maybe I am making more simple than it is really is or maybe I have it completely wrong, but that is what I concluded when I thought about this.
0 Replies