What to make of work email from boss?

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:01 am
So at work, we have a benefit (and actually is encouraged) to work from home on some days. At one point the company actually wanted a percentage of people to work 3 days a week from home. I typically work from home 2 days a week and another person does work from home 3 days a week. Others in the group work from home on occassion.

I actually see the benefit to the company as I will start my day significantly earlier - it takes me over an hour to commute each way so the company gets that extra time from me work-wise.

Any way we are just finishing from our busy cycle - and we get an email saying...
"Hi,

We are starting the real crunch of this 10/31 cycle. It is often hard to coordinate when people are working from home and puts an extra burden on those in the office. Unless you are sick (or on vacation) please consider not working from home between now and the end of the year. Next year we are going to have to visit working from home during the busy weeks."

It was only sent to officers and above - the women who works three days a week from home was not on the email - I was the only one who regularly works from home on the email so it has to be directed at me.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 946 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:03 am
@Linkat,
I was pissed but before writing or saying anything I cooled down - and wrote the following to everyone...

Please let me know what needs to be covered at this point on the blah blaH not blah blah but just you aren't interested in the details.

I am sorry if I am causing any problems with coordinating. Had I known ahead of time I would have come into the office today. I honestly thought the 10/31 rush was over so that was the reason I requested vacation days next week as I thought it would be easiest for the group overall. I plan to be in the office on Tuesday and not work from home next week.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:15 am
@Linkat,

sounds like the benefit is going away.

i used to work a lot from home, and often wound up working some crazy hours to meet impossible deadlines.

at the beginning of the year, they changed the software and i couldn't get it to load on my home pc.

so i stopped working from home, and i'm glad i did.

the main advantage was not having to travel in a blizzard, but otherwise i feel like my quality of life has improved -- there's now a clear delineation between work and home...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:32 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Next year we are going to have to visit working from home during the busy weeks."

oh yeah - visit/revisiting a benefit is usually a sign of change coming

I actually find it better for my quality of life when I don't have the work at home option. I end up working stupid amounts of time. I can always get more money but I can never get that time back.
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:39 am
@ehBeth,
I am salaried so I work tons of hours whether at work or at home. They feel they can milk every ounce out of you. That is the thing when I work from home I actually work more hours -- it is quieter -- as we have the very open office atsmosphore with no cubes even just open desk areas and no one follows the don't have prolonged conversations/don't have phone on speaker.

So my boss sends this back --

"You deserve those days off. You need a break"

Ok what the f*ck! I've never called in sick once - I work late hours in the office often times am the last person there and if not I sign in when I get home. I'm just pissed -

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 10:59 am
@Linkat,

it almost sounds like they don't want you to work so hard...

nah!
this is management we're talking about here...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 11:10 am
I spoke with a peer - she thought it was actually another group she has under her - where pretty much everyone was working from home and they were having issues. It was just my group on this email.

I was worried that a co-worker complained. I try to help the group (other than the one unhelpful person) and I wouldn't want to be a burden on some one else.

She thought the boss sent another one to us to so call cover her bases.
0 Replies