Is Anyone Besides Me Mourning The Downfall Of The New Republic?

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:03 am
I used to often read and always love this publication back when I was a Liberal. I have also read it off and on over they years since. Not in the last 7 though because my interests have moved out of Politics since I see no way that system will work till we either have a revolution or this current economic system dies. My interest have move into the spiritual, though I dont usually get into that here at A2K.

What I loved was fresh ideas, people who we willing to say anything so long as they thought it might be the truth, and they let the chips fall where they may. If the truth destroyed their beliefs they said fine, and got new beliefs. They were not married to either their fantasies, their beliefs, what they like, what they were told by those in power to like, what the advertisers like, what the most popular pundits like. None of that Bullshit for them, they spoke the truth as best they could end of story if you dont like it then **** off and die.

These are sad days.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 953 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 02:25 am
This story collides with the story of the end of the book stores. I only for two years loved TNR enough to make time to always read it, a time where I subscribed. Otherwise I only read it at the library if they had it (increasingly for me rare), or when I ran across it at one of those quirky elitist independent bookstore or after that one of the mega corp bookstores. But all we have in my town is a shitty B&N,....if I am going to Seattle it is to eat and drink, see a show, go to a game. If I go to Portland it is to eat, drink and play sex games. End result: over the last ten years I have very seldom seen a copy of TNR anywhere.

Also, I read The Atlantic, Vanity Fair, Esquire but no where near enough because I am busy doing other things and I get more of my news and intellectual needs met online (waves to A2K), a just dont read as much. TNR missed the cut when I move out of caring about politics, started looking at the world through the spiritual and power prisms. Foreign Affairs did too, even though at one point I spent a lot of time in those pages and reading and thinking those subjects in the weeks after I first discovered them in FA.

Anyways, they lost this reader for good when the bookstores became so crummy I decided **** it and buy from Amazon, and then mostly died.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 03:53 pm
Ever since it supported the invasion of Iraq, The New Republic has been dead to me. Good riddance.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 04:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
a bad flub to be sure...
0 Replies