The Game that Nobody Understands Game

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:53 pm
(I remember actually making pizza at this time three weeks or so ago, and sending it in a taxi to a hungry friend Laughing. )

As for my native language; I was born in Britain, but my ancestry is very diverse, due to most of my ancestors going out to be ambassadors. They married into other countries' societies, and-- so that everyone could speak on equal terms-- a family language (with so many names and variations) was created at least 220 years ago. Unfortunately, from 1930 onwards, when English truly was the world language, people had either moved back to English speaking countries, or could speak it to get along, so the language's speakers got fewer and fewer. I am one of the few living people who were bothered to learn it, and I'm fluent in it (despite the fact that the grammar is often really weird) and I'm writing a guide to the language for learners, and translating poetry, in the vain hope that it carries on in the future.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:54 pm
Dan, Dan, the P'nty'ac man.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
Shqiptar
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:03 pm
Fascinating! You are really fascinating, drom-!)

BLBLBLBLBLBLBBLLLBLBLBLblb!

(That's a raspberry - just for good measure!)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
Thank you, Dev! Although, if I were anyone else, my mentioning things about myself would bore the crap out of me, if you know what I mean.

http://www.cmgww.com/historic/wilde/images/wilo02.jpg

Il a dit: ou sont 'es toi'ettes?

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:08 pm
a crap a day keeps the doctor away

(oops - thats not totally unrelated to the previous post. my bad.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:12 pm
Laughing Nimh! Are you enjoying yourself more than you were a while back?

Open up your hearts; time will rain upon them.

0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:23 pm
I Do know what you mean, drom-.So, who's in the pic? Does it pertain -or not pertain- to the thread as it were? And what did you say in French?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/98630041140b808c61d4d5.jpg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:27 pm
It had something to do with the thread; we went from your rasberrying to non-associating it with Oscar Wilde Very Happy, who's in the picture...

And the caption reads; 'he said: 'where are the toilets?' (in a very fishy accent,) which I threw in to make it even more random, I guess!

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:29 pm
Where the bee sucks, there suck I;
In a cowslip's bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat's back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:39 pm
I am kurious oranj

(we've given up on the you-can't-even-use-any-of-the-same-letters rule, right?)
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:41 pm
(I love it, drom- you are so random!)
http://www.silverbox.com/krusty/images/krusty.gif
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:44 pm
nimh wrote:
I am kurious oranj

(we've given up on the you-can't-even-use-any-of-the-same-letters rule, right?)

:LOL: I love this thread.... your last two choices just had be laughing to save Pilate for some inexplicable reason.

Erm... for at least tonight, I guess we can drop it! 'For trewely, your rule is in the nighte Very Happy.'

0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:58 pm
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One two! One two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:06 pm
<sqeaky voice>
"it's a nice place to visit -- but i wouldnt want to live there!"
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:15 pm
Laughing!!! You two amaze me.

(Oo, I've never heard that poem before; where is that from?)

A post-modern production of The Importance of Being Earnest. All the characters are people who think that they belong to a Jane Austen novel.

Baroness: Yes, the villain has finally been chained up and locked in the old empty wine cellar, with nothing but slimy left-overs to eat.
The Seigneur, Hunter and myself (and anyone else who wishes to) plan to question him over his intentions and his true identity.
I hold the keys the cellar door and the chains down my bosom, so no one *looks at Cpt Jack* shall be getting their hands on them.

Questioning shall begin some time today.

Christelle: I am ready when you are Baroness, just purchased a goat as a torture instrument and jam.

Baroness: Look out Christelle! The goat is trying to eat your bloomers! Shoo!! Out!...bloody thing. No Christelle that thing won't do, I cannot stand them!
The jam will be useful for putting on the instruments for 'coaxing' to look like..er..*whispers* blood...so that they look used.
A footman had to gag him in the early hours this morning. He was making a terrible noise! Wailing, gurgling, yelling his innocence Rolling Eyes.

Christelle: We could also pour rum down his throat,alcohol is know for making people say things they wish they hadn't........hehehe.

Baroness: We could also pour rum down his throat,alcohol is know for making people say things they wish they hadn't........hehehe

Enter Lucretia

Lucretia: I am going to set him free! I can pick any lock Baroness...........he has been wrongly incarcerated and I sympathise with him

Baroness: Never!!!

*trips Lucretia and holds her down*

Lucretia if that's what you intend then I may have to incarcerate you too!! Please come to your senses!!

Lucretia: I am in full possession of my senses. I shall release him.........tis cruel to keep him locked down there.

Baroness whispers something.

Lucretia protests

Baroness: Lucretia, I have seen those letters you thought you'd thrown away..but we'll discuss that later.

He is about as innocent as a peasant wearing a golden waistcoat!!
My dear please do not be so foolish and naive, the man is as rotten as an old apple!!
Where is Lord Pimpernel?!

Lucretia: Most of us are guests at Orczy because of our shady past..........I know this is not true of you, my dear, but we should forgive him any minor misdemeanours and release him.

If you do not, I shall when you are all 'sleeping' after I make the bedtime cocoa!!

Baroness: You wouldn't dare!! That would be the last straw!

The guests may have been shady, but always had good hearts...Mr. Earnests heart is black and corrupted!
I want to hear what he has to say before we go releasing him. For all we know he could be a murderer too! Yes Lucretia, he could kill you in your own bed..after you had 'fraternised' with him. Where IS that man?

Perhaps continued. TABLEAU.

[/color]
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:26 pm
That's awesome, drom-!
The poem is Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
I'm surprised a languiphile like you hasn't come across it! I think I first heard of it in grade school. It just made me laugh. Oh, I thougt of some poets I like - just for fun - e e cummings & Ogden Nash - cracks me up. There's Keats & Kipling, Dickenson, ... brings back a lot of memories!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
I love all of them; they show such range... and, strangely, I've never come accross Carroll's poems before.. they remind me of those of Spike Milligan..

And I'm glad that you enjoyed that bit of insomniac caprice Very Happy

0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
Bravo! Bravo!! Encore! Encore!!
(I must now bid you adieu - Time to say"Good night, Gracie..."Good night, Gracie")
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:41 pm
Me too! Good night, sweet dreams, God bless from pitch-black Warwickshire.... it was wonderful to spend the night here with you and every one else

--------------------------------------
sent crazy by all that moonlight

0 Replies