Articles

klovi

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:59 pm
Hello.
While doing exercises from english grammar about articles i found few that i don't understand. Could someone help me understand, please?

1.) There aren't many words beginning with AN "x". -why we used article an not the? we have only one x in alphabet
2.) I have to clean THE flat before my quests will come. - i thought that with places like, "my" home we don't use article
3.) I'd rather live in THE country than in A town. - "the country" will be always with define article - it's something like an expression?
4.)
You should try beef at THE Black Cat restaurant.
His pub's called - Paul's Bar. - Why in first sentence we used the and in second didn't. Do we use articles with institutional names?

Thank you all for help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 434 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 02:11 pm
@klovi,
1.) Not many words begin with AN "x".

-So why have we used the article "an," not "the"? since there's only one x in our alphabet

I'll warn you tho Klovi almost nobody will agree with my punct. Some wouldn't use the comma while they'd move the q mark to its end while others might insist on a new sentence. I luvta ril'em up

But yours really the good q. We say the "an" 'cause it's the collo. In this usage the "the" doesn't roll off the tongue so well

Didja like all them "the" 's, Klovi
McTag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:51 pm
@klovi,
Quote:
1.) There aren't many words beginning with AN "x". -why we used article an not the? we have only one x in alphabet

we'd say "an X" or "the letter X". They are both the same. Each letter X is considered to be a separate item, so it's normal to say "an X".

Quote:
2.) I have to clean THE flat before my guests will come. - i thought that with places like, "my" home we don't use article

we say "the flat, the house, the apartment". It's obvious whose home it is.

Quote:
3.) I'd rather live in THE country than in A town. - "the country" will be always with define article - it's something like an expression?

Yes, mainly because "the country" is not any particular place (unlike a town). It's a general description.

Quote:
4.)
You should try beef at THE Black Cat restaurant.
His pub's called - Paul's Bar. - Why in first sentence we used the and in second didn't. Do we use articles with institutional names?

The answer to this is rather complicated, because it's an irregular usage. There has been lengthy discussion here on A2K in the past on this topic.
For instance, we write "The Grand Hotel", but "Grand Central Station".
Best to learn each one on its own.

And by the way, you need another "the" in your example above:

You should try the beef at the Black Cat Restaurant.
or, You should try the cat at the Black Bull restaurant.

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 09:05 am
@McTag,

So?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:33 am
@McTag,
Quote:
we'd say "an X" or "the letter X"
Yea Mac. If it hasn't already been mentioned, we should also inform Klovi how "an" is used before vowel sounds
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
We say the "an" 'cause it's the collo. In this usage the "the" doesn't roll off the tongue so well

That is complete nonsense. We say "a word starting with an x" for the same reason that we say "a meal starting with an egg". The x is a non-unique instance of the letter x. The egg is one of many eggs in the world. "A" and "an" are indefinite articles, used when there is an indefinite number of the thing being discussed. "The" is a definite article, used where there is only one, or there are a definite number of something. The sky; the sea; the moon; the hole in my shoe; the people in the bus.

PS Dale, quit with "collo" already.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 01:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
We say "a word starting with an x" for the same reason that we say "a meal starting with an egg"
Yes Con, somewhere I thought I had said exactly that but if I was misunderstood I apologize

Quote:
PS Dale, quit with "collo" already.
I'll try Con but gosh it's an ingrained habit. I still lock myself out occasionally on account of the "new improved" design of a doorknob
0 Replies