Your Top Ten Thanksgiving Conversation Diverters

glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

I once asked my old boss, who was a rabid Southern Baptist, when her religion first formed. I was seriously interested.

She gave me the strangest look and told me she didn't know, and furthermore, how would any religion know when it began?

Being a former catlick, I said "well, I know when mine began, it was the original. (of course that's what the church teaches, I know the history is quite different)

BTW, the Southern Baptists started in 1845.

I had a similar conversation with my husbands Aunt, after a long afternoon of dropping hints about "you need to get you to a good Baptist church". After about the 4th or 5th time she mentioned it. I asked her the same question, when did the Southern Baptists become an organized religion? She also was perplexed, and asked me what did I mean? So I said the Catholic Church considered the Aposple Peter to be our first Pope. Martin Luther, a disgruntled Catholic Priest broke away from the Church and hid followers became Lutherans, and of course King Henry the VIII made himself the head of the Church of England when the Pope refused to annull his marriage to Queen Catherine (I'm not certain if that the right wife, but I think it was Catherine)0. I ended with, so who did the Baptists split with when they became unhappy. She said, we didn't split from anybody, we are Baptists.

Later, I said to mr. gb, I probably shouldn't have done that to Olivia, he said oh it's ok, I knew what you were doing.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What color?

Same color as what's hanging from your nose.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:40 pm
@glitterbag,
ok, even though this goes with the subject of religion (sorry joe nation) this was an inadvertent conversation stopper...

Wally and I were at his sisters house one Sunday afternoon (she was the neighborhood/family gathering place for all Sunday afternoons) and we got stuck sitting on the back patio with this guy that was a big know it all.

I don't remember exactly what his lesson of the day was, but it involved the bible, women and their position under their husband. I said something about that and he looked at Wally and said "Are you going to let her talk like that?"

I said to him "Who does Wally crawl between the sheets with every night? You? Or me?"

Thus ended the lesson.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 01:24 pm
@chai2,
Bravo, Chai or should I say Brava, I think Joe Nation will be ok with your story. I love it.
roger

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 03:18 pm
@chai2,
That reminds me of a group at Dys and Diane's. You know, sometimes people will talk over each other. Their neighbor is something of a chatterbox, so I raised a hand in a calming gesture and said "Ann, the men are talking". That did not divert the conversation; it froze it cold.

I don't recall her speaking to me since.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 03:36 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Bravo, Chai or should I say Brava, I think Joe Nation will be ok with your story. I love it.

BTW, Wally just sat there with a big smile on his face.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:18 pm
@chai2,
Well if Wally is anything like mr. GB, he probably tells that story to his buddies at lunch.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:02 pm
Just in case any one is interested, Roger Williams, yes, that Roger Williams, the one who got thrown out of Massachusetts Bay Colony, founded the Baptist Congregationalists in about 1640, give or take a few years.

The Southern Baptists have nothing to be proud of when it comes to their founding. (Perhaps that is the reason for the apparent lack of memory on their part.) In 1844, the Baptists declared that slave-holders could not become ministers of their Church. (They must have asked what would Jesus do?) The Southern Baptists split.

Joe(good riddance, I say)Nation
glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 10:27 pm
@Joe Nation,
Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist rigamarole about 10 or more years ago. He thought they strayed too far from the path.
0 Replies