Flap Over Racial Slur In High School Yearbook

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:44 pm
After reading the postings and watching the video, since the article wouldn't come up, I'm disgusted with not only the student and his parents, but with anyone that condones such behavior. Why am I disgusted with the parents? Simply because a child mimics behaviors shown to be acceptable in the home.

I agree with Craven. This is not a case of freedom of speech. It's a horribly, tasteless joke at best. Even out of a classroom, such words are a reminder of seriously, sad history. Just because the word is used in rap music(?) doesn't make it something to emulate, any more than the lyrics that promote violence. That's my opinion.

To often, people say that it's only a word. However, if they have ever been subject to ridicule or verbal abuse, they might understand that the scar left are often more serious than those left by physical abuse. These scars can lead to serious problems in the future, often years after the incident. Need I say more?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:16 am
So... the white kid forgot........ yeah.

So, not racist, just stupid.

These are high school graduates, right?

Rolling Eyes

Joe
0 Replies