Send some good news stories here! (please, pretty please?)

margo

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:51 pm
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:20 am
GOOD NEWS!
There's "Good News" tonight . . . in the War on Cancer. Hot off the UPI
Press:

The Good News in the War on Cancer

"Analysis: Good news in the war on cancer

By Peggy Peck
United Press International
Published 6/3/2004 4:40 PM

The National Cancer Institute's annual report to the nation, released Thursday, confirms what cancer experts have been suggesting for the past decade -- the war on the disease is now a winning proposition, with fewer cases occurring and fewer people dying. . . . "

Read more - URL above.

[/color]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
Charli

Good news, indeed! Very Happy That's the 2nd post on the same subject.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:57 pm
OOPS!!!
Embarrassed Re: The Cancer "story": Oops!!! Gotta keep up here - But, then again, some things are worth repeating?

We'll go look for some other "good news" and bring it back soon - we hope! Meanwhile, have a "good day"!
Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:07 pm
msolga, I got caught in a monsoon recently too -- fun, actually! It was at our local Memorial Day Parade, started out sunny and beautiful but I was suspicious and brought just the sozlet's little pink parasol slash umbrella (it's a parasol, but waterproof). Within about 20 minutes there were solid sheets of rain, holy cloudburst batman, but coming straight down -- with sozlet on my shoulders, holding the parasol, we were actually dry. (The poor sodden marchers, though -- might as well have jumped in the lake.)

Then a wind came up, and I decided OK we better get home (even darker clouds and ominous lightning and rumbling on the horizon), and my entire bottom half became SOAKED. At a certain point it's just like, OK, I'm as wet as I'm gonna get, does it really matter if I avoid that puddle? >splash< Sozlet, perched on my shoulders and relatively dry throughout, just loved it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:15 pm
I usually have an uncanny knack for when the rain will start falling. For instance, I was at a playground with my neiece when I said we'd have to go in 5 minutes because the rain was coming. She poopoo'd me and we waited for a bit. I just knew when it would start - told her that we had to go now and by the time we got to the car it would be raining. And, that's exactly what happened. Should have seen her face. Heehee.

BUT, 2 days later, I went to run an errand with my sister, looked up - no clouds - left my car windows open. We got less than a mile away and I knew I'd made a mistake. It poured. My car was soaked. Ah well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:37 am
All right, all right, I will try to remember to post here anything I see that is good.
Nag me if you don't hear anything, as I think there must be one or two things out there....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:08 am
littlek wrote:
what is BPB doing in the arctic?

just saw this. little k, family reunion of course.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:28 am
This was good news:

Black Sabbath to Reunite at Ozzfest

NEW YORK (AP) - Black Sabbath will reunite for the ninth annual Ozzfest, which begins July 10 in Hartford, Conn.

After initially declining an offer to join original Black Sabbath members Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, drummer Bill Ward has now reconsidered, said a posting this week on Ozzfest's Web site.

Ozzfest 2004 also will include a reunion of the original lineup of British heavy metal band Judas Priest.

"You have the original Black Sabbath and the original Judas Priest. What more could you want!" Sharon Osbourne said in a statement.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:18 am
cavfancier wrote:
This was good news:

Black Sabbath to Reunite at Ozzfest

NEW YORK (AP) - Black Sabbath will reunite for the ninth annual Ozzfest, which begins July 10 in Hartford, Conn.

After initially declining an offer to join original Black Sabbath members Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, drummer Bill Ward has now reconsidered, said a posting this week on Ozzfest's Web site.

Ozzfest 2004 also will include a reunion of the original lineup of British heavy metal band Judas Priest.

"You have the original Black Sabbath and the original Judas Priest. What more could you want!" Sharon Osbourne said in a statement.

I'm soooo there....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:31 am
ossobuco wrote:
All right, all right, I will try to remember to post here anything I see that is good.
Nag me if you don't hear anything, as I think there must be one or two things out there....

< nag, nag, nag!!!> :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:44 am
Ok, heard you, but it is almost 1 a.m. here. Hoping I remember I was posting here manana.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:45 am
The closest thing I could find to good news, locally. Yesterday Melbourne had it's turn with the Olympic torch. This city is sports mad & has one of the largest population of Greeks anywhere in the world. They were everywhere! Very Happy Especially in Lonsdale Street, the Greek precinct. What excitement!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/05/1086377187980.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:46 am
Re: OOPS!!!
Charli wrote:
Embarrassed Re: The Cancer "story": Oops!!! Gotta keep up here - But, then again, some things are worth repeating?

We'll go look for some other "good news" and bring it back soon - we hope! Meanwhile, have a "good day"!
Smile Smile Smile

Not to worry, Charli! It was definitely worth repeating! Very Happy
And a "good" day to you, Too! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:48 am
ossobuco wrote:
Ok, heard you, but it is almost 1 a.m. here. Hoping I remember I was posting here manana.

Aw, you forgot, osso! Or else there was nothing to report? Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:50 am
Here's some good news for you ABC loving red raggers in oz! :wink:
David Flint has resigned! Very Happy

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/07/1086460217897.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:25 am
You're right, I forgot.

Well, this'll probably only amuse me, but I read a piece in the New Yorker last night about new postings on the Pasquino, which is a centuries old statue of a neighborhood guy in a tiny piazza in Rome. It's not very prepossessing, I almost walked right by it myself, but its history resonates from the innumerable satires and lampoons attached to it over time. I won't describe the ones the writer saw recently, relating to the Iraq occupation; my point is that I continue to be charmed by this venue for public protest.

Within the same article there was a discussion of the day in June, 1944, that the advance of American troops arrived in Rome, and the memories of the elderly Romans who still picture it vividly.
Ask Pasquino by John Seabrook
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:04 pm
msolga wrote:
Here's some good news for you ABC loving red raggers in oz! :wink:

Yep - good news - silly old bastard!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
Faithful vassal of the Emperor,
Silvio, in the U.S.A. yesterday, has returned
And, after licking Bush's ass,
Recited in Parliament
The part he had learned perfectly, entitled:
"His Master's Voice."

Nice story, osso! I love the poem! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
margo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Here's some good news for you ABC loving red raggers in Oz! :wink:

Yep - good news - silly old bastard!

Haha! It's actually rather unusual for me to gain pleasure from such things, but he was indeed a SILLY OLD BUGGER, who had it coming! Shocked Raving on about "elites", indeed! Rolling Eyes What the heck did he think HE was?
0 Replies