What do you think of Barbara Streisand?

firefly

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:12 am
Great singer--I love her voice and her particular vocal style.

Not a big fan of her movies, and really not interested in her personal life, her politics, or her physical appearance.

She's a very talented vocal artist. Everything else is irrelevant to me when I listen to her sing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:16 am
What do you think of Barbara Streisand?

Not much. Her singing is nasal and ill-disciplined. Had she more of a natural voice and talent, that might not matter--but given that her execution depends upon voice control which she does not exercise, it seems to me that she doesn't work at her trade, and it shows.

What's Up Doc? was the only movie i saw in which she was tolerable, and being the type of comedy it was, all she had to do was smile a lot and deliver a few lines. She managed that. The rest of her acting career is not worth comment. With her voice she has the potential of talent which she does not realize through a lack of work. She has no acting talent upon which to work.

Her politics mean nothing to me--i don't look to others to form my opinions for me, other than to provide information, and i've never learned anything new from reading about or hearing about (i.e., radio or tv) Miss Streisand.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:55 am
"What's Up Doc?" is one of my favorite comedies and I used to show it at movie parties before the era of VCR's (actually wide screen living room projection -- how antique!) She was good in "Prince of Tides," and without those two performances I'm just lukewarm towards here acting. I don't believe her voice is "nasal" at all (a reference to the dominant nose?) Her two Broadway albums and the Movie song album are classic Streisand. Her efforts to "go modern" in the 70's (except for "Evergreen" and "The Way We Were") didn't impress nor her album of classical music singing. I don't care what her politics are or if she takes the opportunity to express them. Again, that's the focus of the media and it all becomes media buzz.
0 Replies

Rhiannon

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:29 pm
Very interesting to a Jewish newbie that all the women attacked in this thread are Jewish.

How about a similar thread on the ever-so-cloying and extremely rich Oprah Winfrey? No? Why would that be? Not PC, right?

OMG ... I do believe I've stumbled on a hotbed of anti-Semitism.

In defense of Jewish women, such as myself, there are many who are considered quite beautiful by the majority population. Unfortunately, because of that fact, they are generally cast as non-Jews.

WOW ... and this site had been so friendly for a little while, too!

Buh-bye!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
Rhiannon- Come back please. If you don't like the posts at least debate a little...be a mensch for god's sakes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:38 pm
I can't believe nobody raved about The Owl And The Pussycat. I mean her chemistry with George Segal was fabulous. I don't care for her style of singin but how can you hate someone who can cross her eyes like a nut case?
0 Replies

Rhiannon

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
panzade wrote:
Rhiannon- Come back please. If you don't like the posts at least debate a little...be a mensch for god's sakes

um

No

If I want blatant Jew-hating, I'll go to http://allewaa.org/home/, but, hey, thanks anyway.

<------------------going to shut down my profile

Jews here: enjoy your self-hatred; Gentiles: bask in your delusions.
0 Replies

Rhiannon

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
oops - just tried the other terrorist site: apparently, it's been disabled ... keep it up: you too can attain Nazi status!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:20 pm
Can I just point out that the poll tallies show an overwhelming majority respect her and her Jewish personna on this thread? You seem to have an insecurity about your being a Jewish woman, much better to stay and discuss just what it is that makes you think this is an anti-semitic forum.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:42 pm
What happened? I don't see what upset her so much. Confused
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:44 pm
Well... my concern is fast dissipating into pity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:12 pm
I absolutely love her singing on certain songs. My Heart Belongs to Me is wonderful. I don't like her films. I don't ever hear political statements she's made, so can't judge. Her personal life means nothing to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:54 pm
Rereading the thread, I can see the take of it as antisemitic if you are looking for that, perhaps the comments about ugly together with the word nose. I gather that was a staple of some diatribes in history. But, nah.

I think the ones here were generic ugly comments. Not all of the world or us revere eensy weensy noses, but if anyone here hates large noses, it probably is not directed at one group of people. My family has big noses, and we're irish.

We have had conversations here before about the destructiveness of ugly and beautiful characterization, and to my view both are thrown around fairly loosely as words, leading to shallow waters, some deep hurt and wrongheaded pride. But hey, categorization on such things is probably built in to our genes, or jeans.

Barbara made it to quite a level of power in a town where moxie counts, and she has, I gather, quite a strong hand re productions she has control of. Being fairly aggressive in getting what you want sometimes brings what you want, but also brings notice for aggressiveness, not always a loved asset in a woman. It is hard to get anywhere in "Hollywood" without aggressiveness or at least heavy persistence. It's really the coin of the realm, being able to show yourself as someone to pay attention to.

I would hope no one is offended by the word coin with Hollywood. If so, get a grip. (heh)

Barbara has style, whether it is any of our styles or not. As an old boss of mine once said, style is everything. He wasn't a dummy, though I frowned at the time he said it; and my take on that comment is that he has a point, to have a clear image is a way to be noticed and listened to.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
I can't believe this thread is still going.

Rhiannon, I started this thread because I hate Barbara Streisand. Not Jewish people. If it makes you feel any better, I hate George Bush too. He's a hideous, idiotic, mouth-breathing turd.

There. You feel better now?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
kickycan wrote:
I can't believe this thread is still going.

... If it makes you feel any better, I hate George Bush too. He's a hideous, idiotic, mouth-breathing turd.

There. You feel better now?

I feel better now Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
Gee, I like her, Rhiannon and I think you are wrong about thinking there is anti-Semitism here.

I think Barbra has a beautiful, strong voice, though as Set said, it does seem undisciplined, at least from an operatic standard.

I really wish I could grow fingernails that long and she seems to have the most amazing complexion. My favorite movie of hers was The Fanny Brice Story... though it might have been that I just LOVED those costumes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:15 pm
Ahhh... the sensitive side of Kicky Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:17 pm
Streisand is jewish? damn all this time I thought she was a democrat or gay or something.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:18 pm
Good thoughtful post Osso.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:20 pm
As far as Streisand being Jewish, i don't think she has either traded upon that, nor hidden her light under a bushel. If that one aspect is all one is willing to consider, she's been very level-headed and se bene geserit.
0 Replies