The man who wouldn't be President

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
The man who wouldn't be President
Kathleen Parker
June 2, 2004

When the "regular guy-ness" of presidential candidates makes headlines, you can guess it must be summer.

This past week's political polls showed that President George W. Bush wins "most regular guy" over presumptive Democratic candidate John F. Kerry. When it comes to flipping burgers, voters go for the truckin' Texan over the Boston Brahmin.

Never mind war, terrorists, taxes, gas prices, employment and the economy. With whom would you rather chow down on denim day? Of course the pollsters' presumption is that Americans prefer burgers to, say, quiche or escargots

As all-American symbolism goes, the barbecue factor is not insignificant. Lots of people cast their vote on the basis of a candidate's "likeability," though arguably burger-side manner isn't so compelling during wartime.

Meanwhile, a recent CBS News poll reports that Kerry leads Bush among registered voters 49 percent to 41 percent. Kerry's lead grows even stronger when Sen. John McCain is proposed as his vice president. Never mind, again, that McCain has said "no" more times than a virgin on her first date. The poll found that 53 percent prefer a Kerry/McCain ticket to just 39 percent for Bush/Cheney.

Something seems almost desperate about all this polling. We're like worried hens clucking and scratching the dry earth in search of a morsel to sustain us. What's missing, of course, is a candidate voters are enthusiastic about.

Democrats don't really want Kerry, who is their best bet not necessarily to inspire, but, more pragmatically, to beat Bush. Three Democratic consultants, feeling chatty at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, all said they secretly wished McCain were their candidate.

Similarly disenchanted, Republicans increasingly are leaning across the partisan divide, abandoning faith in their president. At last count, some 19 percent of registered Republicans expressed a preference for Kerry.

Outside the Beltway, percentages and labels don't seem to matter much. I don't have a poll, but I do have a mailbag. And ears. Regular folks know that things can shift dramatically between now and fall, that polls are primarily for pollsters, pundits and politicians. And that war, not burger bonhomie, will determine November's outcome.

History tells us, too, that numbers don't always tell the story. Remember that Michael Dukakis was way out front coming into the 1988 election. "President Dukakis" didn't happen.

What's also clear - no polls necessary - is that Americans are hungry for leadership, for a president who neither hyperorates as Kerry does nor "underoraculates," as Bush is wont to do. For someone with leadership credentials, who unites rather than divides at the big table at which he so clearly belongs.

One name keeps bubbling up and we've heard it before. These days it's back on the streets, not so much in Washington perhaps, but scattered around at America's lunch counters, dinner parties and latte lines.

Colin Powell.

The fact that his name keeps surfacing confirms at least disenchantment with current choices, as well as the need for someone to bridge the political schism that seems to expand each day.

Powell's resume is unrivaled: Military general, war hero, secretary of state, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, author of a rags-to-riches story from Harlem to the White House, gifted speaker, peace-maker, dream-stitcher, a man who transcends race, gender and social class while exuding the kind of class that is recognizable if not easily defined.

Outside the Beltway, no single individual is so admired or so unlikely to fill the office to which many still wish he would aspire.

On many levels, he's the quintessential candidate, a composite American icon who combines the best of the parties' candidates with an ethnic twist that defies pigeonholing. Of Jamaican descent, he's "black," but not African-American. He's an Everyman, who knows which fork to use, but he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

He's every bit the straight-talker John McCain is. And can he talk! Anyone who has heard him speak knows that Powell can talk for an hour straight, with fluency and polish, without ever glancing at a note. Like Vice President Dick Cheney, he's a veteran of Washington, but unlike Cheney and Bush, he's also a veteran of wars. A military man, he doesn't rush to battle, but goes full throttle when called.

Loyal, perhaps to a fault, honest and dependable - and reputedly no slouch in the regular-guy department - Powell is a dream president. Too bad it's just a dream.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
Federal, I would like to see more commentary from you and less posting of articles.

I feel that commentary can be intelligent and add to a discussion, while cutting and pasting does not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Federal, I would like to see more commentary from you and less posting of articles.

I feel that commentary can be intelligent and add to a discussion, while cutting and pasting does not.

Cycloptichorn

You haven't been here long enough to have read my reply to this type of post Cyc (forgive me for abbreviating the name, I have lazy fingers)

I have said it before and I will say it again, I try to post one of these overly biased Right/Conservative articles for each overly biased Left/Liberal articles that I read on the board.

The difference between myself and those who worship at the alter of Commondreams and Moveon is that I recognize the slant in the Townhall articles, whereas the posters from the insane Left seem to think their articles are the very model of non-biased reporting.

Of the articles found on Townhall, I agree with some, and others I just roll my eyes and sigh. (Somehow I doubt that the some goes on with the Commondreams groupies)

I post the articles to show the Left that the whole country is not made up of people who think that President Bush is evil and the Iraq war was about oil (If it was, I wouldn't be paying 2.22 a gallon for gas)

I post to try and keep this board from becoming a Liberal mutual mastubatory session where the Liberals sit around posting 'Bush sux' all day and congratulating themselves on how clever they are for coming to that conclusion.

I do my part in keeping the board Karmically balanced.

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)

From Orlando... Fedral
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:09 pm
Orlando? I never noticed that on your profile before! I used to live there. Do they still have that great FM radio talk station? I can't remember the call letters, but I know they broadcasted the "Phillips Phile" with Jim Phillips.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:17 pm
kickycan wrote:
Orlando? I never noticed that on your profile before! I used to live there. Do they still have that great FM radio talk station? I can't remember the call letters, but I know they broadcasted the "Phillips Phile" with Jim Phillips.

Real Radio 104.1 WTKS

Yes Jim Phillips is alive and well and broadcasts from 3pm to 7pm EST. He has a great show and is well worth listening too.

Here is a link to his radio station site kickycan if you are interested:

http://philips.wtks.com/philips_main.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:24 pm
Thanks! I used to listen to him all the time. In fact, that station is one of the main things I miss about Orlando . . . well, that and the weather, of course.

I will definitely check out the site. Thanks again.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Amen.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
kickycan wrote:

I will definitely check out the site. Thanks again.

No charge Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
and I agree with d'art and cyclop, federal. It is much better to cite yourself than be cited. Wish more posters would do it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:35 pm
I don't care if it is liberal, conservative, whatever.

I think posting someone else's words with no commentary really doesn't add to the discussion at all. Even a single paragraph telling me why you feel the way you do about the article, or the significance of the issues, or whatever, is better than just cut-and-pasting.

That being said, I don't know what the 'deep' history of the board is, but it seems to me that way more stories from conservative pundits are cut and pasted than the opposite.... not that I care. I just want to see good, origional thoughts by the poster every time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That being said, I don't know what the 'deep' history of the board is, but it seems to me that way more stories from conservative pundits are cut and pasted than the opposite
Cycloptichorn

Cut and paste from your Liberal brethren:
(This is just from the first 2 pages of the Politics area and the only reason it is so light is that pistoff hasn't posted in a couple of weeks)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25787
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25700
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25756
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25375
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25735
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25615
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25649
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25993
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25717
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25975
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24904
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25885
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25748

I will tell you what though, I can see where you are coming from and understand what it is that you are looking for.

Why don't we try the following; lets try an A2K cut and paste freeze.

We pick a week and have everyone refuse to cut and paste anything (other than quoting posters for normal 'give and take') and links to sites to support your position.

We can have people begin threads based upon any political event and all posters refuse to cut and paste anything for a period of 7 days.

What do you think ??

It would do my ulcer a world of good to not have to read cut n paste from aljazeera and by aljazeera lite (aka The New York Times)

I'm game if you are...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
Yeah. I would like to see a PERMANENT ban on cut-and-paste with NO commentary.

I don't mind them at all as long as there is commentary involved.

I don't know about you guys (or gals), but my mind isn't made up about ANYTHING to the point that a convincing argument could nor change my opinions. That's why I'm here - not to score points off of someone with different opinions than I, but to make myself more knowledgeable about the world, about different people's opinions and motivations, and to sharpen my rhetorical skills.

Commentary does all of that, cut-and-paste does none.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
I would vote for the abstinance of cut-and-paste and have always thought there was too much C&P on A2K. It doesn't matter which side, it's developed into some kind of foolish contest to see who can cut-and-paste the most. Creating a headline, making one's statement, then citing article and essays that support your stance by posting the first paragraph and then a link to the site would sure improve things. Otherwise, it looks like this is some kind of news service and borrowed opinion. I can see where we all have our favorite writers and sources and they do prompt an idea for a discussion but it looks more like a bunch of amateurs playing at being Drudge which makes it drudgery.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
So what do you think LW?

Will you support an A2K moratorium on C&P ?

We can start next week and have it run from 07JUN04 to 14JUN04.

If we get enough of the vets such as yourself behind it and deliberately ignore any postings that DO C&P, we can encourage the postings for that week. (And who knows, people might get to like it Very Happy )

If you are game, we can post a thread encouraging those on both sides of the coin to step up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
I think it's important to note that it's not ALL cut and paste, just cut and paste with no commentary that I am against.

If there are relevant points in an article, I want to see them! Just make sure that we can see the analysis done by the poster as well.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
I'm not sure this isn't a subject where a moderator would be in charge. I'll communicate it if there isn't one auditing this thread.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
The problem is Cyc,

Some of us who DO post cut and paste, prefer to see the reaction of the others in the forum before we start posting our own commentary.

I prefer to see if anyone is interested in discussing/arguing a topic before I post my views on the subject.

Its kind of like tossing a ball up in the air and waiting to tackle the person who decides to make a move towards it...
If the ball hits the ground without anyone 'going for it', then there is no game...
Otherwise, you try to tackle them. Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:44 pm
Cut and Paste

by Stephen J. Shastay

Let me give you two explanations. The first one will be short. It will give you an overview, and it will explain the dangers of cutting and pasting. The second will be longer. It will give you the actual steps that you must take to cut and paste.

1) Overview of cutting and pasting

Cutting and pasting is a two-step operation. The first step is where the danger is: cutting. It is actually several combined steps. Basically, you are telling the computer to remember the part you are cutting (it does this by putting it on the clipboard), and then delete the part you are cutting. Now you have a new document, minus the cut part. The cut part is on the clipboard, which is part of the computer's temporary memory. The clipboard only remembers the last thing that you put in it. This means you must now paste this cut part into another document or you will lose it.

The pasting part is simple. You can paste into virtually any document. You can't do weirdo things like paste text into places where a picture should go, but why would you want to anyway?

For novices, it is better to not cut at all. Instead, copy the selected part. It will still go to the clipboard. It will still be pasted in the same way. But it is a much safer method. It doesn't remove the information from the original document. You can always cut that part out later when you are 100% positive that you want to cut it out.

* Once you cut something, immediately go to the new document and paste it. Don't do anything else. There is a danger that you may cut something else (the clipboard only remembers the last thing you cut) or you may forget to paste (When you turn off the computer, the clipboard is erased).
* Cut first, then paste, then save your new document, then save the original document. Once your documents are saved, they are safe from everything up to a complete computer failure.
* After you change a document, you must save the document. This is your final chance to keep the changes you made or restore the document to its original condition. This is your final safety net. If you save it, the changes are permanent. If you don't save it, the document will be in its original condition the next time you open it.
* A better way to cut and paste is to copy and paste and then cut.

2. The steps to cut and paste.

You can cut and paste from virtually any document you find. You can use any file on your computer or you can use web pages like this one. The first step is to find information that you want. Let's pretend that you want to cut and paste this paragraph. This paragraph will be our example.

Before you can cut or copy that paragraph, you must tell the computer what part you have selected. To do that, you must highlight your selected text. This is easy, but it may seem tricky at first. Even experts sometimes have trouble highlighting the exact part. Follow these instructions right now for practice.

Put your mouse on the first letter of the first word that you want to highlight. The first paragraph starts with "You can cut..."; therefore, the first letter is "Y."

Left click on that letter and don't release the left click. Keep the button pressed. Now, move your mouse to the right. As your mouse moves, it will highlight all of the text from the first letter onward.

1. If you left click and move your mouse to the right, it will highlight to the right.
2. If you left click and move your mouse downward, it will highlight all of the lines that you cover. Remember to hold the button down while you do this.
3. If you think different from most people, you can even highlight from the end of a section to the beginning of a section. The computer doesn't care. All the computer knows is that it is going to highlight everything between where you start to highlight and wherever you move the mouse.
4. If you highlight too much, you can adjust it as long as you still are holding the left button down.
5. Release the left click when you are satisfied with how much is highlighted.
6. Once you release the button, you can't adjust the amount you have highlighted.
7. You can remove the highlighting and start over by left clicking anywhere on your document.
8. If you have highlighted the wrong section or the wrong amount, just repeat the above steps.

Warning. Warning. Warning. Once you highlight a section, the computer knows that you want to do something with it. If you type anything at all when you have a section highlighted, then the computer will replace the highlighted section with the stuff that you are typing. Therefore, once you highlight something, make sure that the very next thing you do is the copying or cutting. If you do make a mistake (Don't worry, you will. Everybody does.), you can undo it in two ways.
* Click the Edit button at the top of the document. The first selection will often let you undo the last thing you did. In fact, it will often let you undo more than a few things that you did wrong. Press it once, and it undoes one step. Press it again, and it will undo the step before that, etc., etc., etc.,
* The other way to undo a mistake is to close the document and not save it. When you open a document to edit it, you are actually opening a copy of that document. The original is still in the folder where you found it. You are editing a copy. When you close a document, the computer asks you if you want to save it. If you have made a mistake and you can't figure out how to correct it, don't save the document. Tell it no. After the document closes, you can reopen it and you will have your original document.

9. Our task is to highlight the entire first paragraph. By now, starting in the right spot shouldn't be too hard, but it can be a little tricky highlighting only the words you need. It's simple. After you left click on the first letter that you wish to highlight, drag your mouse to the last letter that you wish to highlight. If it covers too much or too little, your mouse is probably a little high or low on the line that you want.
10. Once the proper text is highlighted, right click on the highlighted section. Now press Copy or Cut. Please read the Overview of Cutting and Pasting at the beginning of this article. It will explain the differences between copying and cutting.
11. Once you have cut, go immediately to the place where you want to paste the info. Take your mouse and left click on the spot where you want to appear. Now right click and select Paste. The text will appear.
12. A cool function of pasting is that you can paste the same information over and over and over. Sometimes you will want to do that. You only have to cut or copy once, but you can paste forever.
13. Once you paste, save your document. If it is a new document, you must name it. If it is a document that you already have on your computer, then it won't ask you for a name. It will expect you to use the name that it already has.
14. There may be times when you want to paste something into a document, but you still want a copy of the original document without the pasted part. This is easy. Open the document and paste the text into it. Instead of saving your document, you need to click File at the top of the document and then click Save As. Now you need to give this document a new name because you are creating an entirely new document. Once you give it the name, you will have your old document in its original condition, plus you will have a new document with a new name.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
Yeah, I can see that.

My problem is, though, that I simply won't read a cut and paste if there is no commentary behind it. If I wanted to read right or left wing journalism, I would go search it out.

The things that people write are so much more interesting than the c&p's.

Good point tho.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:48 pm
I love it! A lengthy cut & paste to illustrate the idea of cut & paste. Can't claim to have read it all (does anyone ever with one of these?), but I did get a kick out of it...

As for a ban on the practice of C&P without commentary, I join the movement!
0 Replies