Should Prince Charles Remarry?

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:55 am
The report is self explanatory.

What do you think?

Should Prince Charles re-marry? Personally, I think he should esp. if his two sons don't mind having a step-mother and step-siblings.

Charles urged to marry Camilla
Wednesday, June 2, 2004 Posted: 0205 GMT

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Britain's Prince Charles should marry his lover Camilla Parker Bowles, according to the former Archbishop of Canterbury, who described his previous wife, the late Princess Diana as cunning and fallible.

George Carey, the former leader of the world's 70 million Anglicans, told The Times newspaper on Wednesday that marriage was the "natural thing."

"The Christian faith is all about forgiveness," he said.

"We all make mistakes. Failure is part of the human condition and there is no doubt that there has been a strong, loving relationship, probably since they were very young, that has endured over the years.

"He is the heir to the throne and he loves her. The natural thing is that they should get married."

Charles and Diana divorced in 1996 with admissions of adultery on both sides.

Diana blamed Parker Bowles, a long-time lover of Charles, and a prying media for the break-up but Carey defended the prince, saying he had been "more sinned against than sinning" during the marriage.

"She was a very fallible lady and very angry about the relationship and yes, I do believe, on balance, that she was a little more cunning at using the media than Charles," he said.

Charles has trod a delicate public relations path over his affair with Parker Bowles since the divorce and Diana's subsequent death in a Paris car crash in 1997.

Carey said he visited Parker Bowles in secret during his time as Archbishop because he feared she was "an ogre in the eyes of the media."

"She's a very nice person. She's very bright, able, astute, tough, very pleasant company," he said.

The Church of England lifted its ban on divorced people remarrying in church in 2002 and Carey said he would be happy to see a blessing service take place, but added that he had no idea of the couple's intentions.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/06/01/charles.bishop.camilla.reut/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 05:18 am
If they want to, sure.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 05:21 am
To me, the whole royal family thing has become a bit silly. The royals have no real power in Great Britain. They remind me of a valuable piece of antique bric-a-brac...............costly, and full of history, but having no real purpose. I really don't care if they marry or or not. Whatever turns them on!
0 Replies

Sonny San

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 05:30 am
ehbeth, right on.

Phoenix, having a bad hair day? I thought you normally have good opinions about variety of subjects.

Its extremely important for the British people, to forget about the tragedy of Princess Diana and move on. Marrying love of his life will bring the breath of fresh air. Its unfortunate that Ms.Camilla Parker had a very bad press. She might not be an exceptionally good looking individual, she is a gifted person and if they both want to, why not?
My only concern is whether Prince William and Prince Henry will give their true support to this marriage. Its very important, esp. for Prince Charles. The kids are grown up and they understand.
Its time that the world really, really moved on and left Prince Charles, his love and family alone.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 05:47 am
Quote:
Phoenix, having a bad hair day?

Sonny San- I basically said the same thing as ehBeth.............just added a bit of editorial comment!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:36 am
Sonny San ----------- They're a lo-quality, hi-bubget soap opera & about as usefull. Their ratings are slipping down & down

Charles is a prat
Mrs. P-B is a proverbial pain
Diana was an air headed clothes horse.
All 3 of 'em, 1 can short of a cadalabra.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
I'm a shameless voyeur of the Royal Family and have a particular soft and squishy place in my ratings for Charles as a misunderstood organic gardener.

Still, I would never presume to dictate the plot of the longest running Reality Soap in the Western World.

What will be, will be--and I'll be watching.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
He should surrender his heritage and step away from the throne if he wants to re-marry. Hand the reigns over to his son who isn't butt ugly and who hasn't embarrassed all of England with his escapades.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
I think the only issue here is that folks are concerned that Camilla might actually be a horse. That marriage would be illegal.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:29 am
If that is so, Cav, then HRH may sire a potential Derby winner
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:15 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix, having a bad hair day?

Sonny San- I basically said the same thing as ehBeth.............just added a bit of editorial comment!

My feelings about the royal family are quite a bit more positive than yours, phoenix. I chose not to editorialize in my initial response.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
I don't follow the royal family's lives very closely, but I've had an appreciation for some of what I understand of Charles' points of view on architecture and gardens, and acquired a similar view to Carey's re Diana, although I tend to see their marriage problems as close to inevitable and am not all that quick to use the word 'fault'.

But whatever I think of the individual family members, and the matter of monarchies and presidencies, I'd say, Sure.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:50 am
I always felt sorry for Diana. The day she married Charles, I watched her walk up the aisle with a voice screaming inside my head, "No! No! Stop now!" She was so young, and she had no idea what she was getting herself into. The fact that she learned the truth, triumphed over the resulting depression, and then transformed herself into a very effective royal while becoming one of the world's most popular media celebrities is evidence that she wasn't that dumb after all. Her early lack of education made her ignorant on some levels, but ignorance is not the same thing as stupidity.

Charles part in all of this was reprehensible. He never loved Diana, he simply used her to fulfill his role. Camilla should have bowed out when they married, but she didn't. Charles has been carefully educated and groomed for the throne for his entire life. But ultimately, he has cared more about himself than what is good for his country. The fact that Charles will one day be head of the Church of England is a huge embarrassment. They're both cheaters. If they continue their relationship (and God knows they deserve each other!), he should step aside and let William take the throne.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:20 pm
Given the concept of a monarchy the Queen is the sovereign of Great Britain and so it is up to her whether Price Charles gets to marry the love of his life. But the other side of the coin is expressed by Phoenix:
Quote:
To me, the whole royal family thing has become a bit silly. The royals have no real power in Great Britain. They remind me of a valuable piece of antique bric-a-brac...............costly, and full of history, but having no real purpose. I really don't care if they marry or or not. Whatever turns them on!

If the above points to the fact that the Royals are mere administrative figureheads then Phoenix's conclusion is valid and it just doesn't matter. The important question would then be: What exactly would the British tabloids use as fodder in the pursuit of advertising Pounds Sterling?

JM
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:19 pm
For me the point is what is my personal opinion, which is appropriate to the topic question.
I am irish american across an ocean and a continent from the royals, and don't give a farthing, whatever that was, I say blithely...

except that I do read... and see people in tangles of historical webs, doing their best within those. (I see even the worst as doing their best, unless they are lazy on top of everything else.) so when I look at various people in positions of power, or the opposite, I try to see their point of view. In this case, my closest personal identification re the royals is with Charles' time spent in thinking about architecture and urban planning. Good for him... I know, I know, he probably wouldn't be too keen to see a Rem Koolhaus or Renzo Piano structure in the old town, but I agree with him on that - I just want a new nexus to develop with Kool stuff.

As to who anybody lives with and/or loves, what the hell is it the world's business?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:29 pm
Poor innocent Diana was nothing more than a breeder to produce a heir to the throne for Charles. She got a raw deal from the git go.

cav...Camilla is horse ugly LOL. I've read though, where she's quite a hot number in bed. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

McG...William is a hottie for sure. Give him time, I'm sure he will eventually embarress the royal family before too many years go by. Mr. Green

I think they should get married if they love one another and want to. It's not like they're gay or anything. Razz
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:39 pm
That's no concern of mine. They can marry or not, why not. I don't care.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
I'm surprised that Charles doesn't have a new girlfriend, by now. Could it be that most women would find Charlie just plain ugly?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 11:16 am
I think he should ditch the throne, marry his main squeeze and go back to growing carrots, or what ever it is that he does.
0 Replies