Categories

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 11:25 pm
In the industrial product section of the expo, there are many categories of products, including categories of automobile-motorcycle, household electrical appliance, water pump and valve, electric power etc.

Have the two "categories" been used properly here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 426 • Replies: 4
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:45 am
Hey, Oristar! I'm surprised that your space is still for rent! How much would it cost to fill it Very Happy?

Anyway; the first use of 'categories' is fine, but the second is un-English. For a natural sentence, I would phrase it thus:

In the industrial product section of the expo, there are many categories of products: automobile-motorcycles, household electrical appliances, water pumps and valves, electric power, etc.

OK?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:58 pm
LOL! I've held a candle to the sun. Your rewriting is absolutely as the same as my original writing. I added the second categories into the sentence of this thread to avoid any possibe ambiguity. Now, it seems the opposite is true.
Thank you dròm_et_rêve (I don't know how to read your name. Eh, tongue in cheeks, drom et reve?)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:23 pm
Ah, but we hardly Ever use the second categories; it is perfectly clear if you do what I have written, whereas, in what you've written, it seems quite muddy, you know?

And just call me Drom! My name is in a nearly-obsolete communication language...

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
O, and as for being tongue-in-cheek; No! I would love to rent your space!

0 Replies