birth control patch(new question)

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
I've been on the birth control patch for around 4-5 months, now I don't know if many of you know how it works or whatever so here's the basic thing. You wear a total of 3 patches in 3 weeks then the last week is when aunt flo arrives. Now, I find i've been getting headaches, really bad ones when i'm on the week off. Is that my body going through withdrawls or....? What are your experiences with the patch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,338 • Replies: 16
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:46 pm
I'm not female and I don't know much about this but I had a girlfriend who was on the pill to control her mood swings and cramps and it worked very well - until she came off 'em. Sounds like the same kind of thing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:52 pm
Yeah, I went back on the pill after being off for a while and I definitely had an adjustment period. <Tries to think of better word choice... gives up> Everything was just ratcheted up a notch. It went away after about hmm 6 months? Month one was much worse than month four for example, but I think it took that long to settle down.

Hormones do that to ya.

But definitely talk to your doc if you're concerned.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:34 am
Hey Stand Up ........ I had the exact same problem. My headaches were "nasty" Confused when I was on my week off. My doc told me it was most likely a reaction to the hormones in the patch leaving my body. So she put me on an estrogen patch. Which did help alot.

BUT......for some reason my breasts were MORE tender with the patch than the pill. So I gave up on it eventually and went back to the pill. I don't mind a lil breast tenderness....but I couldn't even stand to have em' bounce when I walked Rolling Eyes

If your headaches are severe you should see your doctor. Let him/her make sure everythings ok with you.

Good-luck Smile
0 Replies

uptown

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
HELP: Mood swings ending relationship
Hello. I am the significant other of a wonderful woman who has tried the patch as an alternative to the headaches and mood swings of the pill.

I am 1. a man, and 2. not a professional by any stretch. However, I noticed that both on the pill and on the patch that she goes completely wacko-mean fairly predictably on or about the 15th day of her cycle. I have marked the calendar with Very Happy and Evil or Very Mad to track this privately.

With the pills, it kicked in when she was about half-way around the circle. With the patch, it usually a day or so after the third patch goes on.

If she would talk about her cycle and how it impacts her behavior, it would be livable. However, she does not discuss it or embrace it. Therefore, all of her ill will and bad moods are blamed on me.

She is in a dark time right now and threatening to leave for good. I have tried again and again to talk about how we are two peas in a pod for a good two to three weeks a month. THEN, bad things happen.

Are there women in this forum who can help me undertand the timing of these mood swings, and help me find a way - quickly - to help it not be a taboo subject?

She of course thinks I am a sexist pig for "blaming" her cycle. And says it does not affect anyone else her life. But I have witnessed the change in her ... even to see her go popeye with a blind rage.

Your help appreciated.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Uptown...talk to her doctor.
0 Replies

uptown

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
I would like to
I would like to talk with her doctor (with her, or alone, or her alone with her doctor). However, she had been reticent to do so. Unable to confront it, deal with it, talk about it.

She did tell me that she tried to discuss her lack of libido with her doctor but was quickly cut off and did not have a helpful discussion.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
Ok ladies.....I have another question, maybe you can help?

You know how when on the pill you can stop taking it a bit soon in order to get the period flowing early, or you can keep taking them through the one week off time so that it can be skipped for that time? Well, wondering if that theory can also be applied to the patch?.....Know what I mean?

Thanks.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:56 pm
yes pessy, you can do that.
;-)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:59 pm
Re: I would like to
uptown wrote:
I would like to talk with her doctor (with her, or alone, or her alone with her doctor). However, she had been reticent to do so. Unable to confront it, deal with it, talk about it.

She did tell me that she tried to discuss her lack of libido with her doctor but was quickly cut off and did not have a helpful discussion.

This sounds a lot like me...I knew I had PMS but didn't realize how bad until one day when I literally exploded over nothing. Perhaps you can pull some information off this website and show her. It isn't her fault, and once I switched pills, life has gotten tremendously better. Instead of wanting to kill, I just want to maim. :wink:

PMDD

Of course, this may not be the case but anything is worth a shot. Good luck.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
yes pessy, you can do that.
;-)

Alright, so i'm spose to be putting my third patch on today, but i think i'm going to skip it and hope aunt flow comes like this weekend instead of next weekend. I'm going on a trip next weekend, and would prefer not to bring aunt flow along. So you think it should be ok?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
you might go two weeks...i've seen it happen.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:06 pm
my thoughts too.
each week, the hormones in the patch are a little stronger. It builds up your body to get ready for aunt flo'. Laughing aunt flo... Laughing Laughing i have not used that term in a while. hahah!
anyway.. you may NOT see her this coming week like you want. My suggestion, use your 3rd week patch for at least 3 r 4 days. Not only for aunt flos benefit, but for the birth control benefit as well.
you WANT that build up of hormones . that is what makes it work.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:18 pm
Ok, so 3 or 4 more days...hmmm....I hope this works..........
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
you might go two weeks...i've seen it happen.

Also, what do you mean by this?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:25 pm
bella ment going 2 weeks with out a visit from aunt flo...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:13 pm
Well hello again ladies!

I have now recently decided to stop taking birth control. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of side affects this will have on my body?(as I won't be getting all the crazy hormones I was before) Thanks muchly!
0 Replies