Do you feel if the speech is clear?

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
There was once an expert who made an experiment -- he wanted a Spanish young man and a Chinese young man, both about 20 years old, to write an article in English at the same time. The result was that the Spanish fluently wrote out more than 500 words, expressing quite clearly, but with lots of misspellings and grammatical errors, though less having changed his writing; while the Chinese finished his article overcautiously -- with less than 300 words and less misspellings and grammatical errors, but he frequently changed his grammars in the article -- more than 20 times, and the article could not be read smoothly.

By all appearances, the former only paid attention to the expression of his ideas, while the latter had a strong feeling on his grammar -- the fear of making mistakes on grammar, and the fear seemed in some cases affected the expression of his ideas.

The expriment indicated that people with different social and cultural background have their own custom and manner of thinking, and when they learn a new language, they would bring the custom and manner into the new language, and hence the result would not be that good.

It is worth to mention that the methods with which Chinese and Westerners see through phenomenons and think about questions are different on many aspects. The difference has indeed limited the ability of Chinese students, especially limited their English writing skills, causing them unable to exactly and tersely express their ideas. So, I want to say to you about the several differences between the English expression and Chinese expression in college-level English writing training.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Wy

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Hi OristarA! This one's a little longer than most, so I'll just launch in...

There was once an expert who made an experiment -- he wanted a Spanish young man and a Chinese young man, both about 20 years old, to write an article in English at the same time. The result was that the Spaniard wrote out more than 500 words, expressing himself quite clearly, but with lots of misspellings and grammatical errors. He wrote quickly, without editing. The Chinese man wrote his article more cautiously; he frequently edited what he had written -- more than 20 times. He wrote fewer than 300 words and did not have as many misspellings and grammatical errors, but the article could not be read as smoothly.

By all appearances, the former only paid attention to the expression of his ideas, while the latter had strong feelings about his grammar -- a fear of making mistakes in grammar, and the fear seemed to, in some cases, affect the expression of his ideas.

The experiment indicated that people with different social and cultural backgrounds have their own customs and manner of thinking, and when they learn a new language, they would bring their customs and manner into the new language; hence, the result would not be as good.

It is worth it to mention that the methods with which Chinese and Westerners see through phenomena and think about questions are different in many aspects. The difference has indeed limited the ability of Chinese students, especially those limited their English writing skills, causing them unable to exactly and tersely express their ideas in English. So, I want to say to you about the several differences between the English expression and Chinese expression in college-level English writing training.

What do you think?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:14 pm
Hi Wy, thanks for editing. Very nice! Very Happy

I've learned from you how to use the word "as" that is so neat "as good and as smoothly'!

I didn't get "What do you think?" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
Are you kidding? Wy's asking what you thought of her editing; don't incorporate 'what do you think?' in your work? You were kidding, weren't you?

0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:42 pm
I would also say "young Spanish man" and "young Chinese man" rather than "Spanish young man" and "Chinese young man".
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
I agree, Rufio; that order of adjectives sounds more natural, I feel..

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:08 pm
And sounds polite too, if a reader is picky.Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:27 am
Quote:
Do you feel if the speech is clear?

Oristar- Here I go again, picking on the title of your question. It sounds very stilted.

You might have titled the thread:

Is my speech clear?

or

How do you feel about the wording of my speech?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Hi Phoenix,

I think I could use:

Is the speech clear?

Because I didn't want to label the speech as "my". Smile
0 Replies