originates/originated

WBYeats

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 05:47 am
Do you agree with my analysis?
Both correct:
-American football originates in/from the US. (originates=comes from/is from, so the present tense)
-American football originated in/from the US.(originated=started to be played for the first time in the past, so the past tense)

Almost no difference in meaning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 817 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 05:57 am
In fact, the first North American football game was played in Montréal, in Canada, between Harvard University and McGill University, in 1874. So both of your sentences are wrong.
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 06:00 am
No, there is no substantive difference in the meaning of the two sentences. Although there may be a valid exception, i can't think of a case in which one would say "originates from," one would usually say originates/originated in.

This is one reason that i don't like to answer your questions. You lard them up with all manner of alternatives--you make them needlessly complex.
knaivete

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 07:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
In fact, the first North American football game was played in Montréal, in Canada, between Harvard University and McGill University, in 1874. So both of your sentences are wrong.

"The two-game football series, played at Cambridge, Mass., May 14 and 15, 1874, were the first games of North American-style football."

http://www.cfl.ca/article/birth-of-north-american-football-137-years

Unless you prefer Wikipedia:

The first American football game was played on November 6, 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

Or some time in the 1600's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 10:06 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you.

But 'larding them up with alternatives' seems the most effective way of learning, because it allows non-native speakers to know what is correct and what is wrong, otherwise after your answering the first post we would have to ask again 'is this correct'/'is that correct', which is much more troublesome and harrassing to native speakers, so I decided to pack everything into one post and the length of one thread would not exceed three posts, terminated by my 'thank you'.
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 04:12 am
@WBYeats,
Nonsense--i could not agree less.
knaivete

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 12:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Nonsense--i could not agree less.

The games were played in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 01:41 am
I couldn't agree less.

Quote:
The 1874 Harvard vs. McGill football game was a college football game between the Harvard Crimson and the McGill Redmen played on October 23, 1874. Harvard won the game 3–0 in front of 2,000 spectators. It is believed to be the first time that college football was played outside the United States.

Source
McTag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 03:06 am

American football is a silly game, and very dangerous.

In an afternoon you see about 10 minutes play, and the rest is pratting about and posing (and attending to injuries).
knaivete

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 03:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
In fact, the first North American football game was played in Montréal, in Canada, between Harvard University and McGill University,

This week marks the 137th anniversary of the historic McGill-Harvard rugby-football confrontation. The two-game football series, played at Cambridge, Mass., May 14 and 15, 1874, were the first games of North American-style football.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/birth-of-north-american-football-137-years

hut

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2014 08:35 am
@McTag,
It is, however, one of the most wonderful soporifics known to man. Puts me right to sleep every time. It is second in that regard only to cricket.
WBYeats

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 04:12 am
@Setanta,
Thank you for the answer and advice. Do you think 'be originated' is OK in the blank?

-The poet emphasis much on romanticism and the method of expressing would need to __ to real life.
0 Replies