When Did US Astronauts Rescue Russian Cosmonauts In Space?

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:08 pm
I seem to strongly remember when a Russian spacecraft was in deep trouble and a US spacecraft came right next to it and a US astronaut came out and fixed something vital on the Russian ship. It was treated with great hoopla at the time, but I seem to be unable to find exactly when it happened on internet search engines. I seem to remember the Russian craft as being old and antiquated, so maybe it was Mir.
Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:44 pm
@Blickers,
We're just a bunch of good old boys, aren't we.
Blickers

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 02:30 am
@roger,
Guess we are. Happened awhile ago, although not THAT long ago, lol.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 02:45 am
@Blickers,
1995-1998, The USA Collaboration with the Russians on Mir. Your memory of the event is however flawed.
Blickers

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:21 am
@hawkeye10,
Thanks for answering. I have some vivid memory of the US somehow helping the Russians who were in trouble, I think it was Mir. We lauched a rocket specifically with some part or something to deliver to them. Or we delivered somebody to Mir who fixed something on the space station. These memories are dying hard, lol. I might have to go to the library and go through the old New York Times indexes. I can almost visualize the stories.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:40 am
@Blickers,
The only thing I can figure out is that you are talking about STS-74, when we delivered a docking module to Mir. But that was only for convenience of docking the Shuttle, it had been done once before the new module got there, and the Russian station did not need it.
Blickers

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Much thanks. That is a little closer but it still isn't quite what I remembered. I think I'm going to have to check out the New York Times indexes in the library when I get a chance and see about a mission which was designed to save the Mir. I've been off before but never have I remembered details like I'm remembering them now.
0 Replies