Corrupt or corrupts

shua

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:36 pm
Sex and drugs are what corrupts/corrupt our youth. Which is right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 615 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
@shua,
Shue it might depend on context. Where "sex and drugs" is considered a unit, then singular. For instance one might consider sex and drugs v abstinence and herbal tea
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:52 pm
@shua,
Neither, it's bloody religion.

However, if this is a grammar question either:

Sex and drugs are what corrupts our youth.

or

Sex and drugs corrupt our youth

or

Sex and drugs are what corrupts our youth

I prefer either of the latter. The are what is unnecessary, it adds nothing to the meaning and should be left out.

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:55 pm
Sex and drugs would be a unit requiring the singular if they were done together, e.g. smoking a marijuana cigarette and then having sex while stoned*. Otherwise they would be separate and the plural would be called for.

*This can be fun, however smoking a marijuana cigarette and having sex at the same time is not to be recommended; it can lead to burns to the participants and the bedclothes.

0 Replies

shua

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:00 pm
How the hell is that "bloody religion?" A life of sex and drugs often leads to a life of misery and corruption. Sex sometimes results in disease. Drugs, including pharmaceuticals, can lead to mental illness and spending all your cash on illegal substances that you become dependent on. You don't have to be a scientist to figure that one out, bud. How deluded are you? It was just a sample sentence.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:31 pm
@shua,
And I gave you an answer, but despite that you've gone nutzoid. Do you need medication?
shua

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Why don't we stay objective? Isn't that the point of the forum? How is my sample sentence religious drivel?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 05:10 pm
@shua,
I never said it was, it was just a light hearted comment, after which I gave you the answer. Instead of saying thank you, you acted like someone had stuck a cattle prod up your arse.

I can only assume you are a religious nutter after all.
shua

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 05:23 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not a religious nutter. I am religious, but my post had nothing to do with my beliefs, and I thought your comment really strayed from what this site is about. It is called "able2know" right? So shouldn't we be a little more objective rather than disparaging religion, which is neither objective or subjective, with asinine statements? Thank you for your answer, though.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 05:27 pm
@shua,
People often make jokes on A2K, if you can't accept that you won't have much fun.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:17 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Sex and drugs are what corrupts our youth.
or
Sex and drugs corrupt our youth
or
Sex and drugs are what corrupts our youth

I prefer either of the latter

Why do you prefer either of the latter to the first line?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:45 am
@shua,
shua wrote:

Sex and drugs are what corrupts/corrupt our youth. Which is right?

Using "and" adds subjects to make them plural. When "and" comes nouns in a compound subject, the verb should be plural, even though each subject may be plural alone.

(Keep in mind that some singular, phrasal nouns have "and" in them. For clarity, these are often (but not always) connected with a hyphen:

Rock-and-roll is...
Bacon and eggs is a common breakfast.)

Ex:
A and B corrupt...

If you used "or" instead, it would separate subjects. In that case, choose the number value of the one closer to the verb and make the verb agree.

Ex:

Sex or drugs corrupt... ("drugs" is plural so the verb should agree with it)
Drugs or sex corrupts... ("sex" is singular, so the verb agrees with it)

0 Replies