Is There ANY Chance the R's Will Use this Opportunity to Govern?

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote from McConnell

Quote:
"There's only one Democrat who counts: the president," McConnell says, responding to a question about possible pushback on deals in Congress.
engineer

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you are saying the Republicans have not moderated, they have won.

I don't know that I agree with that but I think that is more accurate than saying the Democrats have successfully advanced anything in their agenda over the last two decades except health care. I disagree that the public is actually against the ACA. If you asked them if they support "Obamacare" they say no, but if you ask them if they support the various parts of the ACA, they generally say yes.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You are kidding right? Boehner has spent the last several years going toe to toe with the Tea Party

And losing. We had a government shutdown. We really did, at a significant cost to the government and its reputation. We actually had a discussion about a debt default. Boehner lost the first battle (badly) and barely squeaked out of the second one. He may have going toe to toe, but he's the one with black eyes.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:35 pm
@engineer,
The shut down worked out brilliantly for Boehner, he argued against it and now almost everyone in the nation agrees that he was right. He and the moderates were able to parlay that mistake by the radicals into last nights win by convincing the crazies to pipe down, and now they are going to make a run for holding all of the levers of government. The people are not going to allow this unless we trust the R's, which should keep the crazies good and quite, salivating over the hoped for R control of the government.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:36 pm
@engineer,
I guess it is no more Mr Nice guy since he won again.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:43 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote from McConnell

Quote:
"There's only one Democrat who counts: the president," McConnell says, responding to a question about possible pushback on deals in Congress.

Interesting. Clearly he thinks that the R's can get Obama to sell the D's down the river like they were able to get Clinton to do it on ending welfare. The problem with that is that Clinton is a wonk and a pragmatist, where as Obama is an incompetent and who knows what he believes or would want to do if he was a free agent. It does look like the R's plan to do a free trade deal with Obama, over harsh D objections, which I dont think does a thing to solve the global economic disfunction or our own.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
were all gonna die.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:35 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

were all gonna die.

No one has avoided that fate yet.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 05:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have, so far...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:23 am
Boehner set the battlefield today - Repeal the ACA will be a top priority. That pretty much means full out war.

Boehner wrote:
Looking ahead to the next Congress, we will honor the voters’ trust by focusing, first, on jobs and the economy. Among other things, that means a renewed effort to debate and vote on the many bills that passed the Republican-led House in recent years with bipartisan support, but were never even brought to a vote by the Democratic Senate majority. It also means renewing our commitment to repeal ObamaCare, which is hurting the job market along with Americans’ health care.
revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:51 am
@engineer,
Why in the world would they think Obama wouldn't veto such a bill even if it made it to the WH? So, considering that, why would they waste time and resources on it, yet again? It is so pointless and typical.
engineer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:55 am
@revelette2,
Because they passed anti-ACA bills a couple of dozen times before and they won the Senate. You don't quit a winning strategy.
revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:00 am
@engineer,
I would say it is a mystery, but it really isn't. I am not good at putting words together in a concise and intelligent way, so I'll just say it is a concerted effort on the part of the big wigs on the conservative side, they seem to have a good enough message to win local votes. We will see if it works this time nationally in 2016. Democrats (or all others) are not half as good at selling their message, unfortunately. What I have taken away from the midterms is that we should start focusing on the basics again, as in "it's the economy, stupid."
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:42 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
good enough message to win local votes.

Local votes? For Federal office. That is all that counts.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:48 pm
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3hjoVMBiI3E/VFopP5rTOKI/AAAAAAAATf8/H3OlPulbj2Y/s1600/Obama%2BThe%2BScream.jpg
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:59 pm
@coldjoint,
There was a low turn out, lower than 2012, there usually is at midterm elections. Come 2016, those who did not turn out at midterms, will be there to vote and it is those voters you guys have to worry about.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:02 pm
@revelette2,
Irony. Here is what the Democrats need to hear. It starts at 2:12 into it.

revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:08 pm
@coldjoint,
I am not going to listen to it, I don't even like Rachel Maddox.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:11 pm
Quote:
Republicans trounce Democrats in legislative races from coast-to-coast

Worth repeating.
http://watchdog.org/181775/republicans-state-legislature-elections/

http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2014/11/2014-elections.jpg
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:13 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I am not going to listen to it, I don't even like Rachel Maddox.

Can you get anymore narrow minded?