Marines and Substance Abuse

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:42 am
There is one thing that I have been thinking since the photos of inmates abuse at Abu Ghraib came into light.

What I would like to know is:
Do the coalition forces, serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, have access to alcohol and other mind bending drugs, in any form, shape and size?

Is it possible that marines, such as the accused Ms.England and others, had consumed these items before the actual abuse of inmates took place?

I am asking this out of curiosity and nothing else.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 769 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Sonny San

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:54 am
Interesting link:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=67181&ran=53543

Smoking, alcohol still problems for military, survey shows

By DALE EISMAN, The Virginian-Pilot
© March 9, 2004

WASHINGTON — Despite a plethora of service-run programs to discourage them, smoking and alcohol abuse remain serious problems for the U.S. military, according to a new study of some 12,500 troops.

Survey results released Monday suggested that after two decades of steady decline, smoking in the force increased slightly in 2002.

There also was a slight rise in alcohol abuse, compared to a 1998 survey, though the percentage of troops considered heavy drinkers has shown little change since 1980.

“Clearly, new and more effective initiatives will be needed to reduce heavily alcohol use,” researchers said in a report summarizing the survey.

The survey found that nearly 42 percent of service members had engaged in binge drinking – five or more drinks on a single occasion – at least once during the 30 days before they were questioned. That’s more than double the rate of such drinking among civilians.

About 32 percent of service members are smokers, the survey said, essentially the same percentage as found in the civilian population.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:23 am
Well, why shouldn't they - at least inside their basis?

However, I'm more than sure that any lawyer would have pointed out this immediately, when such happened: either for defence or as a new delict.
0 Replies

Sonny San

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:28 am
Walter, thanks.

I think you mean 'bases'.

Its not this I am referring to. My point is that there might be a possibility of abuse being inflicted because the culprits were under some sort of influence and I dont mean 'peer' pressure.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:30 am
Yes, 'bases', sorry for using the German plural/word :wink:
0 Replies

Sonny San

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:32 am
Ah so desuka :-)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:40 am
There were NO marines at the Abu Ghraib prison.That was strictly US army.
Dont blame the marines for something they didnt do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:49 am
Substance abuse is a long-standing issue in the military. There have been many reports over the past (at least) 30 years indicating that there are not nearly enough support services available to assist various members of various armed forces with the psychological effects of military engagement.

Sonny Sam - a Google search will provide you with many references.

We had a discussion on the issue of spousal abuse at U.S. bases at least a year ago here. There was also some more recent discussion about the suicide rate among the troops. Much, much more support is needed out there. People are being asked to do very difficult things, often without having the personal resources to handle the results.

I can recall discussion of this when I was a teen. I grew up in a military community, and it was one of the dirty little, not-so, secrets that a lot more mental health support was required on the base for the enlisted and their families.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:13 am
mysteryman wrote:

According to The European and Pacific Stars and Stripes at least three naval officer from Rota Base had been there, besides soldiers and Marines:
Quote:

A three-person team of Navy dog handlers and their dogs worked for the various units at the prison, helping do security sweeps, conducting vehicle inspections at the gate and joining raids with soldiers and Marines.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:39 pm
It isn't all that hard to come up with alcohol whether it's permitted or not.

When I was in the service and over in Saudi Arabia we weren't permitted to have any alcohol but it was common knowledge that one should bring packets of baking yeast and sugar with them if they were going.

Water was freely distributed in 1 liter bottles and the grape juice consumed in the Middle East isn't pasturized or homogonized.

You grab 3 or 4 cans of grape juice at breakfast and an empty water bottle or two, fill the water bottle with grape juice, add yeast and a packet or two of sugar and let it sit for a few days and you have a crude wine with 15% or so alcohol.

While anything is possible I've yet to see any indication that the guards at Abu Ghraib were under the influence of either alcohol or drugs and you can bet if they were they'd be bringing it up as a defense.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

According to The European and Pacific Stars and Stripes at least three naval officer from Rota Base had been there, besides soldiers and Marines:
Quote:

A three-person team of Navy dog handlers and their dogs worked for the various units at the prison, helping do security sweeps, conducting vehicle inspections at the gate and joining raids with soldiers and Marines.

Three US Navy officers???
Last time I looked,the Navy was NOT the marines.They are two seperate branchs of the service.
Also,the article does NOT say that there were marines at the prison,it says the marines took part in raids.I can safely assume that means they participated in raids on suspect houses.
Again,it does NOT say that marines were actually at the prison.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 03:53 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Three US Navy officers???
Last time I looked,the Navy was NOT the marines.They are two seperate branchs of the service.

I know.
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
...That was strictly US army....

0 Replies