Do I need to escape?

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:29 am
So recently (last 6 months) i have been feeling continually trapped in my life. The responsibility of "life" and "being an adult" is figuratively crushing and some days it feelings as though i have a seriously heavy backpack on.
This feeling or sense of unrest has been with me for 3 or 4 years coming and going in the same way that lights shine though a window of a bus. There, gone, there again. Sometimes worse, sometimes better.
I have been examining my life and I feel as though I should be quite happy, I have a house, relationship, food, water, material possessions, the ability to not die at road crossings.
Is this feeling something that comes from lack of sleep, bad food and working too hard or from not doing enough?
Am I denying who i am to life comfortably?

So my question is this.
Do you feel this way too? If so how did you deal with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:49 am
Let's ask Eric what he thinks . . .

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:55 am
@bearfist,
bearfist, do you do anything to nurture your mental growth? To challenge your limits?

I've from time to time found myself feeling in a rut, seeming to have no other function than collect my salary until retirement, at which point I will probably be physically incapable of doing most of the things I really want most to do.

Long story short, one day something happened to me that made me decide to make a bucket list. What did I feel I needed to have done in order to die happy, fulfilled, satisfied? Since that time, I've been working on doing everything on the list. I use the responsibilities that I face in day-to-day life as means to achieve the things on my bucket list. They are my first priority.

Hope that helps.
bearfist

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:31 am
@FBM,
Thanks FBM

I often challenge my limits in terms of seeking to learn and experience new things however I am unsure of the definition of mental growth. Do you mean knowledge, mental ability, how one processes information or something else?

As for the idea of a bucket list I have not actually considered that before. I have written lists in relation to long term goals but not in the sense of the longest term.

Cheers for the reply!
FBM

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:19 am
@bearfist,
By "mental growth" I mean almost anything that gives you a feeling of accomplishment and greater life satisfaction. It could be anything from playing chess to bodybuilding to meditation to helping the environment. I was intentionally vague, because what makes you feel satisfied with your own effort will probably be somewhat different from what makes even those closest to you feel that way.

To you, what does it mean to be a person of good character? What does it mean to live the good life? To have lived a good life? As far as I'm concerned, you get to make your own answers. I work towards answers that make the most sense to me. I don't feel compelled to accept society's definitions of those things. I feel much better when I step back, think about what's most important to me, and then proceed accordingly. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, that is.

Cheers!
0 Replies