Issues at work: how do I deal with my boss?

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:08 am
Let me say this first: I don't want to whine about my job, or even my boss. I love my job, and all I want is to learn how to approach my boss so that my job continues to go well. That said...

My boss has effectively said to all my coworkers (in my presence) that he believes I do not do much, if any work. I don't have any clue what I've done to deserve that statement, because it's completely untrue. My team works as a group, and we divide tasks as equally as possible. My tasks are always completed and I usually end up helping the others, in addition. He doesn't ask us who accomplishes what, he just assumes that certain people are being lazy.

So when my boss asked the team to work on Halloween and I said that I could not due to family plans for the weekend, he acted as though he totally expected that from the one he had marked as "lazy". Now he's trying to make us work all day Saturday, and I'm at a loss. I've already told him this weekend was important to family, but I really want to be involved in the project we're doing, and I really don't want to make him think I'm any more lazy than he already does.

How should I approach this situation? (Any suggestions would be appreciated!)

View best answer, chosen by Riddle Me This
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 06:27 am
@Riddle Me This,
Start documenting what you do, in writing (emails, project plans, drafts of documents, whatever you can which has your name on it). Why? Because this guy is setting up to screw you over at raise time, and you may find your head on the chopping block first if cuts have to be made in your department.

It is not an easy reputation to live down, so make sure you've got concrete evidence to back yourself up if you need it.

It would also not hurt to stay late or come in early when he can see that, and to volunteer to lead some project or other.
Riddle Me This

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 02:28 am
@jespah,
Thank you for the advice! That seems like a very simple measure that will help a lot.

I really don't even understand how I was given that reputation... It's nearly the complete opposite of my actual work ethic. I truly hope I can get rid of it, somehow.

Thanks again!
jespah

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:16 am
@Riddle Me This,
Oh, it's my pleasure! I do hope it works out. I have been in your exact situation and it really stinks. You can sometimes start to believe that you really are as lazy, etc. as they claim. But it's them, not you (except they hold the purse strings). Consider getting your resume together, too, and see if there is anyone else up the food chain who you could go to for a recommendation. And, if not, try to cultivate those relationships. This is not you going over that person's head; you're just networking within the company. I suggest this in case this ends up with you being let go. Now is the time to get those ducks lined up. Just in case.
0 Replies