Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:32 pm
@Arafat ,
No, the sentence is fine.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:54 am
@Arafat ,
I commend you Ara for your esl's interest and persistence with a very difficult language
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:57 am
Don't listen to Dale. There is nothing difficult at all about the English language. Among Indo-European languages it is one of the easiest to learn. It's a secoond language for me also. If I could learn it well enough to teach it later, then anybody can.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Don't listen to Dale
All I can say is, I had read it somewhere
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:34 am
How ever..thx for ur answers.... English is not so diffricult to learn, but it depends how perfect u want to be ...or how u tell urself as a learner,,for me...i hate taking to recite strange words,,, its taugh,,but i have to....hmm would love to see that one day i could understand <the natural power> easily...and talk fluently english...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:37 am
@Arafat ,
Keep studying, Arafat. You're doing fine and there are plenty of people here at A2k who are eager to help you and all other learners.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:56 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
There is nothing difficult at all about the English language.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=english+as+difficult+language
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 12:22 pm
@dalehileman,
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=english+language+easy+to+learn

I particularly recommend:
http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/easy/easy.htm
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 12:54 pm
Being ESL myself, I agree with Andy - English is not that difficult.
Try Polish - that's way up there in the pyramid of most difficult languages to learn - they hardly use any vowels at all....and then all the accents on top - mon dieu, mucho problemo Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 01:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
Any Slavic language is more difficult than either the Germanic or Romance varieties of Indo-European languages.

I sometimes wonder who started this myth that English is difficult. Probably someone who needed an excuse for why he/she doesn't speak English very well.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 01:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Maybe! Even my daughter bitches that English is so much easier than German -- she doesn't want to use the 3 different articles either, uses either masculine or feminine article, neutrum she leaves out altogether *sigh*
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 01:23 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
……. English is in fact full of difficulties to the non-native speaker. Indeed, the biggest book of English grammar** contains 1800 pages and weighs 3 kilos….. there is a lot of it!

Quote:
All in all, I'd say it is easy to begin with, but it gets a lot harder. if your goal is to reach fluency, then English is not an easy language.

Quote:
English is considered one of the most difficult languages to learn….

Those picked in a minute or two Andy from just the first page and I'd bet there are scores if not hundreds more such admissions amongst that link

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 01:35 pm
@dalehileman,
Okay Dale, do you speak any other language than English?
I assume no! Take the word from us who had to learn English as a second language: there are plenty of other languages that are much more difficult than English. Period!
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 01:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Okay Dale, do you speak any other language than English?
I took German in hi school

Quote:
….plenty of other languages that are much more difficult than English. Period!
Jane I only know what I read somewhere

Ich weiss nur was haft gelernt im Hock Schule

Well anyhow I remember to cap the noun
timur

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:15 pm
@dalehileman,
As always, your knowledge is quite fragmentary, Dale.

There's no such thing as Hock School (except, obviously the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, Singapore).

The phrase you needed was: Ich weiß nur, was ich im Gymnasium gelernt habe.

The previous posters were right, Dale, English language is quite easy to learn, compared to many other languages.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:00 pm
@timur,
Quote:
As always, your knowledge is quite fragmentary, Dale.
Oh quite, Tim

Quote:
There's no such thing as Hock School
Yea Tim, it's http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/translate/german-english/Oberschule

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/translate/english-german/high-school

Quote:
The phrase you needed was: Ich weiß nur, was ich im Gymnasium gelernt habe.
Okay Tim, Gymnasium. It all comes back

Quote:
English language is quite easy to learn
Like I said Ich nur weisz was Ich kein auf Der Untersuchen Sie

….but then at 84 Tim don't you think it remarkable I can remember even that much
0 Replies

Arafat

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:57 pm
This really depends on different ppl and different purpose of learning english, for example: my purpose is to understand complex english essay and could watch a english serie fluently without any confusing, so i need to achieve a higher level of this language, English is including soooo many phrasal words that u have to embrace a great number of vocabulary, this takes time .
hmmm without english, i can use norweigian and chinese, and this not includes my mother toungue : uyghur. a relative language with turkish. if i should order the degree of diffriculty among these languages .. it could be ...Norweigian,English,Uyghur,and Chinese........
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:17 pm
@Arafat ,
You grasp the situation quite well, Arafat. Norwegian is not a particularly difficult language either. Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with Uyghur. When you say 'Chinese' I assume you are talking about Mandarin Chinese as it is spoken in Beijing, not one of the many dialects. (In North America, among Chinese immigrants, Cantonese seems to be more popular than any other type of Chinese.)
0 Replies