Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 02:32 pm
The word "confused" is the past tense of confuse, right? Wouldn't that make the sentence, "I am confused" grammatically incorrect? I am (present tense) confused (past tense). I am in a state of confusion would be correct. I was confused would be correct. I have too much time on my hands would be correct as well. I'm just curious what you word wonks would say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,237 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:00 pm
@MrReliable,
Quote:
The word "confused" is the past tense of confuse, right?

Right.

Quote:
Wouldn't that make the sentence, "I am confused" grammatically incorrect?

It might, if 'confused' was actually the past tense in your example, but it isn't. So that makes the sentence grammatically correct.

The CONFUSED in question is not in this case the past tense of CONFUSE. It is the past participle, and as such, it is an adjective form, not a verb form.

You CONFUSED (past tense verb form) an adjective for a verb.

You have CONFUSED (past participle verb form) an adjective for a verb.

0 Replies

Bazza6

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 03:34 am
@MrReliable,
I am happy = I am a happy person
I am confused = I am a confused person.

confused |kənˈfjuːzd|
adjective
1 (of a person) unable to think clearly; bewildered: she was utterly confused about what had happened.
• showing bewilderment: a confused expression crossed her face.
• not in possession of all one's mental faculties, especially because of old age: interviewing confused old people does take longer.
2 lacking order and so difficult to understand: the confused information supplied by authorities | reports about the incident were rather confused.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 04:50 am
There are plenty of adjectives derived from verbs e.g surprised, amazed, amused, scared, impressed (there are many more). All can be used with the present tense of the verb 'to be'.

0 Replies

MattWSpanjer

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 08:01 am
@MrReliable,
Ha! Love this. You can be confused. Or you say, I was confused. I would say you are confusing me. Also that this post is awesome. If time is money you must be rich!
0 Replies

MrReliable

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 09:51 am
@MrReliable,
Thanks for your responses. I get caught on words sometimes when I probably should just move on with my life.

I thought too much about the word "ruthless" once. With the suffix "-less," does that mean lack of ruth?

Actually it does. The dictionary definition of "ruth" is "compassion."

You've all been quite helpful. Thank you!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:08 am
Any word can be used as past tense or present tense.

I was confused.
I'm confused.
JTT

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 10:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Any word can be used as past tense or present tense.

I was confused.
I'm confused.

That you are a highly confused individual is illustrated by many of your posts, CI, including this one.

As Jespah said, "You really don't know WTF you're talking about. Please stop misleading people".
0 Replies