Portuguese - Phonetically speaking...

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 05:05 pm
This question is for those of you who do not speak portuguese as a primary language...
I work as a portuguese interpreter, and when I tell people what I do, the most frequent comment is "Portuguese is such a beautiful language".

Now just out of curiosity, I wonder if it really is a phonetically beautiful language when heard by a non-speaker.
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,270 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 06:54 pm
Claro que é. Não é tão lindo que nem españhol mas é muito melhor do que françês que é forçado em demasia.

Bem vindo, espero que fique pois meu português esta piorando e preciso treinar.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 11:39 pm
Many languages have similar phonetics, but the rhythm and flow is what really makes their character, in my experience.... I haven't had much experience with Portuguese, but I do think that Spanish is beautiful, or at least moreso than English or French, and I've heard it's similar.
0 Replies

hail

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:22 am
For me i like spanish language more than portugese ..... thats what i think spanish is beautiful language ..... i like english although it is not my mother language ........ but i like spanish more and i hope oneday i will speak this language
0 Replies

ArohemQ

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 02:04 pm
Hmmm...visto que não me considero objectivo neste respeito - se a minha lingua soa bem ou é linda fonéticamente - não posso responder, mas acho que o Português Brasileiro é mais 'musical e lírico' para o ouvido do que o Português de Portugal. Talvez porque o calão Brasileiro e as suas expressões idiomáticas são para mim tão diferentes e por isso um tanto exótico? A sua pronuncia e sotaque diferente? Enfim...

Seeing as I don't consider myself objective in this regard - whether my language sounds nice or is beautiful phonetically - I cannot answer but I think that the Brazilian Portuguese is more musical & lyrical to the ear than Portuguese is from Portugal. Perhaps their slang & idiomatic expressions are to me so different and therefore a little exotic? Its different pronunciation & accent? Anyhow...

I can recount an odd episode though: in Northern England a Pakistani taxi driver asked me if I was Afghani after he had overheard me speaking with another Portuguese. More recently some British have remarked to me when they overhear my conversations with my family that it seems & sounds to them as if I am speaking Russian!
I can only assume that Russian, an Afghan language (Pashto?) and Portuguese occasionally have a "jsh" sound that makes us sound similar? Our flows are all different though. Difficult to compare as when I think I am hearing Russian, it just might not be! And much less any Afghan language ;-)

My vote for the most beautiful sounding language though, is Japanese.

To Superjuly: I think it helps that one doesn't understand it, then one can simply follow the musical tones & cadences. I guess this is why you asked non-Portuguese speakers to reply :-)
0 Replies

ArohemQ

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:41 pm
Craven:

Quote:
Posted: 25th September 2003, 12:06 am Post: 374985 -
Can you remind me of a vulgar South African expression I once learned? It was based on the premise that the British decendants had one foot in England and one in Africa and their privates dangling in the water. I just can't remember exactly what it was.

Erm, I spotted this post of yours in another Forum (Africa) but the last post was in Sept '03 (I am browsing Wink so I'm avoiding it being revived again. I hope Superjuly doesn't mind my butting in on the Portuguese theme
(mil desculpas!) but seeing as I picked up that you spoke Portuguese and would probably revisit this topic again (and you probably get zillions of PMs)...

The answer, should you still be wondering, is "soutie" short for "soutpiel"
Afrikaans: "sout"=salt and "piel"=penis.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:18 am
ArohemQ wrote:
To Superjuly: I think it helps that one doesn't understand it, then one can simply follow the musical tones & cadences. I guess this is why you asked non-Portuguese speakers to reply :-)

That's a perfect way to put it. Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
ArohemQ thanks! I just saw this.

Please feel free to wake up old threads anytime!
0 Replies