@OmSigDAVID,
David.
Get that chip off your shoulder, sir.
ASAP
mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:31 am
@Linkat,
Link.
Humour is a distinguished cop-out, but I know you are smarter. Please merge:)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 11:30 am
@mark noble,
Ah! The noble Mark thinks that I take orders from him.

Let 's c how well THAT works out !

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 01:06 pm
@ehBeth,
I used to have dogs, too.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 01:08 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
ah you I predict will live to 92.375
I predict that u will live for many trillions of years thereafter

David
dalehileman

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 01:09 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
You 83, Dale?
Indeed Mark
Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 04:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks - but probably not if I continue doing shots up side down.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:42 pm
No one can guarantee you that you will live longer without all sorts of preposterous qualifiers, but it does appear as if medical science may be on the verge of finding a way to greatly extend human life spans.

I discussed this with someone recently and he was very excited about the possibility of living to 150 or even longer, and I can certainly understand why. If someone brought me the treatment to enable me to live that long or longer, I'd take it in a flash, but if and when the time comes that our life spans are significantly extended it's going to rock society and perhaps not be all it's cracked up to be for a lot of people.

For quite some time now things have operated under a very important rule: We all age, and we all die.

It's not possible to tack on another 75 years or more to everyone's lives and live the way people have grown accustom to.

Obviously we will all have to work a lot longer. No more retiring at age 65. I can tell you that after 42 years of working, and working very hard, I'm on the verge of burn-out. I've recently delegate a lot of my tasks to folks who work for me, so I can keep at it for a while longer, but I'm pretty sure that eventually, no matter how easy my days are, I just won't be up for it. The thought of working another 42 years or more is frightening, and while I've been fortunate with my success and should be able to retire very comfortably, I won't be able to live of what I've saved for another 75 years.

No one want to talks about raising the SS age eligibility, but add 75 years to everyone's lives and that talk will have to take place and take place very quickly.

If the current job market is tight, imagine what it would be like if millions of formerly senior citizens got back into it. And what about the young people who need the older people in their companies to leave if they are to advance? Tacking on another 75 years to their lives isn't going to suddenly make them patient. It will take a long time for society to adapt to average life spans of 150 years.

Extending the average life span will not slow the birth rate so there will be a surge in population that will tax existing resources.

If offered another 75 years tomorrow I would take it in a heartbeat even if it didn't include a reversal of the effects of aging, but I know I would very quickly be faces with a number of tough decisions and problems because of it.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
about the possibility of living to 150 or even longer
Finn, if we think the world is overcrowded just now….
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 09:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Not an order - A sympathetic directive.
But, whatever...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 09:19 am
@dalehileman,
Well Done, Sir!
mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 09:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You CAN'T "EXTEND" life, Finn.
LIFE, like any other form of energy is quantifiable. Finite - "In and of Itself" (Needs abbreviating) Maybe 'IOI'?

New.
LIFE, like any other form of energy is quantifiable, IOI.
Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 09:58 am
@mark noble,
We extended George's life. He was a goner - until my daugther discovered him at the bottom of a pool. She dove in and saved him - he now is living in our house enjoying safety from all predators.

Now that his shell is hardened we can set him free - his life would have been over as a pool is not an environment in which a baby snapping turtle would survive.
mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:12 am
@Linkat,
Preventing death does not extend life. Life is only quantifiable once ceased, not during. You aided George 'during' his life.
Nice Job though! Turtles are facing extinction (Everything on earth is - Another thread, though) and a little altruism likely helps.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:39 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Well Done, Sir!
Thanks Mark. A quick Googling shows it's estimated by those who think about it, we're already overpop some 5 to 20 times
mark noble

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:41 am
@dalehileman,
20's about right.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:47 am
@mark noble,
My take too Mark
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 12:03 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Preventing death does not extend life. Life is only quantifiable once ceased, not during. You aided George 'during' his life.
Nice Job though! Turtles are facing extinction (Everything on earth is - Another thread, though) and a little altruism likely helps.

Now that is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

And snapping turtles are not facing extinction -- if so we would be in violation of the law as it is against the law to touch or take out of its environment any endangered or protected species.

Snapping turtles are plentiful.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
mark noble wrote:
Preventing death does not extend life.

Linkat wrote:
Now that is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

You said it!
0 Replies