paragraph heading sentence

mimart

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 10:53 am
I'm trying to determine the correct punctiation to use if I want to split a sentence. The first half of sentence is a paragraph heading introducing a website; the second half is the first line of the paragraph underneath. Here is the sentence: "Welcome to (name of website), where man's oldest tool never looked so good!". I feel like I should be adding punctiation, but I'm not sure. Also, do I capitalize the second part of sentence since it begins a paragraph? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 619 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:11 am
@mimart,
NO. U did it right already.

David
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:55 am
@mimart,
mimart wrote:

I'm trying to determine the correct punctiation to use if I want to split a sentence. The first half of sentence is a paragraph heading introducing a website; the second half is the first line of the paragraph underneath. Here is the sentence: "Welcome to (name of website), where man's oldest tool never looked so good!". I feel like I should be adding punctiation, but I'm not sure. Also, do I capitalize the second part of sentence since it begins a paragraph? Thanks.

If you mean the first half of the sentence is the part up to the comma, that is, "Welcome to (name of website)", and this is to be the heading above a paragraph, then perhaps you could do something like this

Welcome to OldestTool.com

Man's oldest tool never looked so good! Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed gravida arcu ut nibh laoreet faucibus. Proin imperdiet feugiat mauris at laoreet. Suspendisse potenti. Mauris imperdiet lectus vel iaculis egestas. Etiam gravida lacus elementum ex porttitor elementum. Pellentesque at accumsan lectus, a feugiat lectus. Fusce aliquet laoreet quam sed venenatis. Sed a aliquet sapien. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum feugiat felis sed nibh venenatis facilisis. Vestibulum venenatis, neque pretium tempus feugiat, sem dui tempor elit, id sollicitudin erat justo eu enim. Donec vitae placerat ex. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Quisque eget vulputate elit, vel placerat ex. Nunc sit amet nunc velit.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 01:38 pm
@mimart,
I might've stxarted the 2d 1/2 with "…where"

The dots to preclude misreading
mimart

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks, David. Should I show the comma at the end of the paragraph heading? Should I capitalize the "where" since it begins a paragraph? Thanks.
mimart

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:57 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion. I had thought of that, but I didn't think it looked right.
0 Replies

mimart

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:58 pm
@contrex,
Thanks. That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 09:14 pm
@mimart,
mimart wrote:
Thanks, David. Should I show the comma at the end of the paragraph heading?
Yes, if u r presenting it as a sentence.

Your concept was to present those words as a sentence.

mimart wrote:
Should I capitalize the "where" since it begins a paragraph? Thanks.
No, because it is not a sentence
without the earlier words.
It will not make sense standing alone
as a sentence fragment.
There is no rule of capitalizing the beginnings of paragrafs.
There is a rule of capitalizing the beginnings of sentences.

David
McTag

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 03:52 am
@mimart,

Quote:
punctiation

Punctuation is spelled this way.

You're welcome.
mimart

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:21 am
@McTag,
Thanks. I stand corrected.
0 Replies

mimart

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 07:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks, David. I appreciate the clarification.
0 Replies