The Neverending "Conversation About Everything" Chain

devriesj

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:33 am
Are there house re-do shows? More than you can shake a stick at, it would seem!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 06:50 am
It would seem perhaps superfluous to mention this, but I enjoy these exchanges on A2K. It's very nice to be able to chat across the world through this wonderful medium.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 07:54 am
Medium?! That reminds me of a joke about a short seer who was on the lam. The headline read: Small Medium At Large....!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:42 am
Large depends, as do many adjectives, on the items surrounding it. Once it meant an encompassing size, or usually did, but now we are subject to the added variations of x-large, 1X, 2X, 3X, aren't we?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
We change a lot of words through time; it's amazing. Nice, for example, used to mean fussy.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:31 pm
Fussy, I have always liked that word. I also like the word 'fussbudget'.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:34 pm
Fussbudget? I've never heard of that word; does it mean something that fusses?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 02:09 pm
Fusses are caused by people who are fussbudgets; I can think of one immediately. When I first moved up here and was staying at my friend's house for about ten days, I tried to help out by doing much of the cooking; her husband would sweep up right away if something was dropped on the floor, and I do mean right away.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:01 pm
Right away cleaning like that is a definite sign of a fussbudget! Speaking of which, we (my family and I) spent a lovely evening with neighbors across the street who just happen to play in our city's symphony. It was their daughter's fourth birthday and much fun was had by all.

(p.s. What reminded me to mention that was that the husband is the principle violinist AND a fussbudget though very sweet.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:27 am
All the world's a stage, and it gives you splinters in your foot. Jim came to my party on Saturday, and amazingly when asked was able to play, on the piano, the Great Gate of Kiev from Moussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" from memory, when requested, but not by me; the person who asked was Lawrence.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:11 am
Lawrence requested and Jim obliged. I am jealous of anyone who can play the piano. I have attempted to learn and failed several times. = (
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
Times change, Dev, and so can you. You need practice; yet, a busy world restricts this, does it not?

0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 02:13 pm
Not just practice, unfortunately drom-. Would you believe I've tried on more than four different occasions to take lessons. I always get tripped up playing with two hands! I can play one-handed! I know the piano, I'm just "piano-impaired"!
I think that for me it has something to do with growing up having played the flute first. There - ten fingers make one note, but with the piano ten fingers make TEN notes making it too much for me to handle!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:24 am
Handle of the piano is a difficult thing to get, I agree. Wouldn't it be good to be able to learn instruments easily, when young?

0 Replies

locote

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:35 am
Dogs can get these tick on them that are so vicious, that they can kill your loved pet within 24 HOURS.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:30 am
psst! Welcome, locote! In this thread, start your post with the last word(s) of the previous post.

Young is the best time to start an instrument or any discipline I suppose. Then again, there is something to be said for proving the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" wrong!

(*Man, that's wicked info, locote. Are they native to Australia? I've never heard of such ticks.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:35 pm
(What about ticks?)

Wrong it is. Shakespeare, for instance, prove that you can learn as you age, with the neatness of his very last play.

0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:50 pm
Play is very good for you. As the proverb so wisely says, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:04 pm
Boy Oh boy, was Jack dull. He was too laddish, but harboured a secret love for kooky US supreme court judges.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
Judges in Britain have been in the news lately, for very unsavoury reasons. Judge not that ye be not judged, as the good book warns us
0 Replies