The Neverending "Conversation About Everything" Chain

McTag

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:07 am
Heretofore, in days of yore so to speak, things were different, much different. Some look back nostalgically on the "good old days", but personally, I cannot see too much that I would willingly revert to: presumably back then I could not even end a sentence with a preposition.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
Prepositional sentence ending is apparently not the fullblown crime that it used to be, back in the old days. Laxity, laxity is the thing now, or to put it another way, the strictures have loosened.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
Loosened rules in the English language may appear more comfortable, but beware; it causes English, often, to lose its lyricism and sense. In the near future, one could get on a train in Britain and hear the words, 'we ain't got no more seats, ain it?'

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:00 pm
ain it so, drom? Smile Actually, the preposition must have an object, and if that object is there somewhere, it's grammatically correct.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:04 pm
Correct, you're right, but it seems sloppy at times; not in conversation, but in theses, &c. Or perhaps I am French-structure retentive?

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:09 pm
We're retentive of all that we covet. I would love input from all, on poetry as the well spring of philosophy.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
Philosophy as being the emergent of poetry? It sounds interesting: is it a project that you're undertaking; an A2K post; a random comment?

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
Comments are appreciated on my thread. Hope you'll join us there.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=782268#782268
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
There is a far place. This is much nearer.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:03 pm
Nearer is here, to me, than there! There seems far away but nice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:44 pm
Nice was a word I grew up with, and it took a while to learn that, along with my well loved 'really', and 'very' and a few others, that 'nice' was a spleensplitter.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:13 pm
Spleensplitter or not, I like "nice". I will go as far as calling something "really lovely" but I refuse to call anything "awesome".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:00 pm
'Awesome' has never gained credence with me, perhaps a fault of my own but I think not. Still, nice is rather weathered, but... even as it is, it is a recognizeable (how do you spell recognizeable?) signpost for a certain view, and for that, stands as a sort of neutral goodness.

It could be said that it is so very dismissed as a word, though I can't make that jump myself, that the dismissal is understood, even though I still use 'nice', out of some sort of forebrain.

I started a thread about Driving a day or so ago and kept mentioning beauty, and knew, each time I did it, I killed part of an audience, because of the word beauty.

Are all words gender clutched? Or context clutched?

Thick subject, I am just enjoining here..
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:30 am
Here, There, and Everywhere. A song by The Beatles, and quite a nice song too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:34 am
Here, There, and Everywhere. A song by The Beatles, and quite a nice song too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:41 am
Too far the phalarope, or somesuch, we have too much to deal with every day, eh? What do you think about eliminating some matters to deal with?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 02:11 am
With wisdom, I think one can minimise one's life rather well. But then, maybe, it gets boring.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 02:39 am
Boring indeed, but then so many components of modern life are. Give to me freedom to remain anywhere and places to eat and rest, and that would be all I need.

0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:09 pm
Need-ing to have my house re-modeled BADLY. Perhaps I shall appeal to one of the home design/ re-do tv shows!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:40 am
Shows in which they redesign your house? Are there many where you are?

0 Replies