The Neverending "Conversation About Everything" Chain

aidan

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:46 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Yesterday I had a great hamburger- perfectly cooked (by someone else), on a soft floury bun, with a wonderfully fresh and crisp dark, green lettuce leaf and slathered in pesto mayonnaise. It was a joy to behold and consume.
spendius

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:02 am
@aidan,
Consume is a word I dislike. It means to waste and not just to eat or drink and I would have preferred you to have said that the fat fest, despite the lettuce veil, was a joy to behold and to get the masticating tackle wrapped around and the salivating taste buds twinkling and then we could have avoided having to think about the word through to the end which is why polite society in the 19th century never discussed food or eating.
aidan

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:44 am
@spendius,
Eating this particular hamburger was indeed a 'fat fest'- which is something I find a wonderful indulgence on occasion. Messy little drops of glistening grease adorned the plate by the time I was finished.
spendius

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:47 pm
@aidan,
Finished products of schools of manners and deportment for English maidens of the better sort are often to be seen displaying their superiority and dignity. But throw a few double gins into them and all that academic effort is set at naught as if by magic.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 08:35 pm
@spendius,
Magic isn't necessary to help young women throw off the effects of that type of sausage mill. Alcohol is a good tool for the job if intelligently used.
aidan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:09 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Used by many, alcohol would seem to render magical effects on certain personalities. Actually, it's more a matter of chemistry and physiology - specific stimulus interacting with receptors in each individual brain - producing interesting results -same with love and religion (so I've heard) .
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:06 am
@aidan,
Religion has been found by scientists to have been hardwired into our brains by evolution and atheists shown to be deliberately engaging in effortful work against their natural cognitive dispositions. For a fuller explanation see my last post on wande's Intelligent Design thread which is from the Sunday Times.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:26 pm
@spendius,
Times are tough for some at the moment. It sucks to see people paying the price of others' avarice (or possibly incompetence.)
Dutchy

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:22 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Incompetence and avarice sink into oblivion when I read in today's paper that Qantas CEO was given a golden handshake of $11 million. It makes my blood boil to know this individual worked only 5 months and sacked hundreds of people.
spendius

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 11:27 am
@Dutchy,
People are like that Dutchy I'm afraid. It's no use getting into a state over it.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
@spendius,
It's a betrayal of yourself to completely accept it, though. There IS a limit to how much money one person can use.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:24 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Use of water is very restricted in my State. Hand watering the garden is only permitted for half an hour each week, the result of politicians neglecting our infrastructure for years.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:33 pm
@Dutchy,
Years of the same sort of neglect has lobbed a very power hungry desalination plant in my backyard. I maintain other solutions would have been better.
spendius

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:17 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
Better late than never is a well known bit of folk wisdom. But I always think it depends on what you are late for.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:13 pm
@spendius,
For the Term of his Natural Life was a book that gave me an insight into Aus. history as well as sadism and the misuse of power. That was pretty good value for money.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 12:52 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Money: The Autobiography of a Pinched Penny would make a great Sundance Film Festival baity/independent film. The protagonist's name would be Penny, a modern day hobo, traveling from city to city trying to grift lonely and bored wives from their money via the oldest trick in the book: sex.
Dutchy

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 02:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Sex, in America an obsession. In other parts of the world a fact.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:44 pm
@Dutchy,
Fact: You'll never get out of here alive.

Fact: You can have fun trying.
Dutchy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:34 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Trying I will. Will she respond?
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@Dutchy,
Respond with a joke at your peril when a 9 foot tall Hell's Angel bursts into your local shouting "What are you looking at?" At least bulk up, first.