Patriotism and populism in journalism

Fedral

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:26 am
Patriotism and populism in journalism
Jonah Goldberg
May 28, 2004

In the process of debating the merits of publishing, and now continually hyping, the Abu Ghraib photos, I keep hearing that it is contrary to the American journalistic tradition to let patriotism or concern about the negative effects of bad news interfere with coverage. I have no idea where this idea comes from.

Take Ernie Pyle, perhaps the most universally revered of America's war correspondents. The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist was not the sort of objective chronicler of the facts the Columbia Journalism School churns out today. No, he was the sort of ink-stained wretch who proudly put on a military uniform and wrote glowing tributes to "our" brave boys at the front for whom he used his column to agitate for higher pay. As Michelle Malkin wrote a few years ago, "The writing that earned Ernie Pyle a Pulitzer Prize in 1944 would have gotten him fired today."

Indeed, most of the press in World War II donned military uniforms - and proudly. They agreed to considerable censorship, which Walter Cronkite insists was fair and reasonable.

Ask yourself how that squares with, say, today's press corps which, after 9/11, agonized over the ethical quandary of whether it was appropriate to wear a tiny American flag on their lapels?

Or consider I.F. Stone. He wouldn't make my list of great journalists, but he's on many people's list. Peter Jennings dubbed Stone, "a journalist's journalist." The Los Angeles Times said he was the "conscience of investigative journalists." Former New York Times columnist Anthony Lewis gushed that he was "the reporter who taught us to penetrate the squid-ink of official truth."

Well, be that as it may, he was also among the most partisan journalists of the 20th century, falsely accusing the United States of using chemical weapons during the Korean War and apologizing - if not openly rooting - for Stalin, Mao, the Viet Cong and Castro.

That such a man could be the "conscience of investigative journalism" should tell you where on the ideological spectrum the media's conscience resides and how the press came to redefine good journalism.

But my aim isn't to score ideological points about liberal bias. This isn't about attacking liberals. Most of the "giants" of journalism were, after all, liberals protecting liberal politicians and liberal objectives.

For example, for all the self-congratulation that's come with the press's "bravery" in running the images from Abu Ghraib, you might think the press has always stuck to a standard of telling hard truths during wartime. Nonsense.

There were more than 35,000 pictures of FDR taken. Two show him in a wheelchair. Why? Because the press almost unanimously agreed that - despite the huge news value - depicting FDR as a cripple would be bad for the war effort. The few dissenting photographers from that consensus were routinely blocked or deliberately jostled by the senior photographers so as to shield FDR from embarrassment and the public from its "right to know."

Maybe the press was right to show restraint. Maybe it was wrong. But at least journalists didn't think their best work was work that treated America as a hostile power. The Ernie Pyle Journalism Award, for example, recognizes journalists who show "unwavering support and loyalty to the United States of America in the pursuit of fair and accurate reporting."

Fox News offers a lesson here. I know the network's detractors think it's a rightwing propaganda factory. And, I certainly agree that much of Fox's programming is conservative (though liberals' sudden concern with ideologically loaded coverage is ironic). But at least one of the things that has made Fox News successful isn't that it's rightwing, it is that it's populist.

This is an important distinction. From the beginning, Fox anchors weren't ashamed to wear American flags on their lapels. They aren't afraid to refer to American troops as "our brave fighting men and women" or some such. They aren't terrified that they will lose their objectivity merit badges if they sound like they hope America wins.

If Fox goes overboard sometimes, it's only compared to a new standard Ernie Pyle wouldn't recognize.

In 1987, for example, Peter Jennings and CBS' Mike Wallace explained on a PBS show that they wouldn't warn American troops they were about to be ambushed. When Wallace was asked if saving American lives might be a higher duty than getting 30 seconds of videotape, he snapped back: "No. You don't have a higher duty. No. No. You're a reporter!"

More recently, after the 9/11 attacks, David Westin, the president of ABC News, got into a lot of hot water with the public - though not much with fellow journalists - for refusing to express an opinion on whether the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon was legitimate: "As a journalist I feel strongly that's something that I should not be taking a position on."

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:39 am
The concept of independence in reporting stems from some people's strange idea that we might be wrong.

World war II was a completely different situation. Our moral objective was much more clear in that case. You cannot make any reasonable analogy to modern conflict using WWII as an example.

Quote:
Fox News offers a lesson here. I know the network's detractors think it's a rightwing propaganda factory. And, I certainly agree that much of Fox's programming is conservative (though liberals' sudden concern with ideologically loaded coverage is ironic). But at least one of the things that has made Fox News successful isn't that it's rightwing, it is that it's populist.

Lol. Fox news tells people what they want to hear, that's why they are successful. They preach to the choir all day long. They are nothing but a shill for the neocons.

Quote:
More recently, after the 9/11 attacks, David Westin, the president of ABC News, got into a lot of hot water with the public - though not much with fellow journalists - for refusing to express an opinion on whether the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon was legitimate: "As a journalist I feel strongly that's something that I should not be taking a position on."

That's because there are some who feel a journalist's job is to report facts so that other people can make decisions on what is right and wrong. The people at Fox news decide what is right and wrong, and then find facts to support their case.

I didn't shoot the messenger this time! Yay!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:26 pm
I agree, Cyclo.
And furthermore, Michelle Malkin sucks.
It seems to me, Fedral, you're really asking which of us agrees that it's okay to hide the truth.
And I wonder who should be allowed to decide which truths we are permitted to hear?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:20 pm
Quote:

This is the crux of it in a nutshell. Those of us, and our numbers are legion, who have felt disconnected and frustrated by the dominant liberal left wing media felt like we had finally come home with Fox. With Fox it is okay to fly the flag without saying something negative about it. It's okay to praise the president or say positive things about the troops without putting a negative, anti-American spin on it. It's okay to be positive and optimistic and hope for the best instead of expecting the worst. (Frankly I think that is the primary difference between conservatives and liberals but that is another discussion.)

Fox was the answer for those of us who do not believe it is possible to 'support the troops' while attempting to discredit their Commander in Chief. It validates the opinon of we who do not believe it is possible to 'support the troops' while complaining about the cost of maintaining them or while preaching that the war they are fighting is illegal or immoral.

Fox puts plenty of alternate opinions and points of view out there. But it gives a legitimate forum for the 'conservative' opinon and point of view too. Most of the other news outlets don't.
0 Replies